Brewer Fanatic

New Leadoff hitter

mlloyd10
Since Villar is sucking and striking out a ton (20 K's in 14 July games) OP under .300 - Should we look at someone else leading off? I know Sogard will most likely get the leadoff spot when he returns, but i'd rather not flip between him and Villar and just have one guy there that will play everyday.

I think for this year you need to just call it. I am still high on Villar going forward. Just like Segura, I think it is hard to go from absolute stud to horrible and then just be horrible for ever. Next year will be a telling year, but I think Villar is just in a sophomore slump. So with that, I agree, we need to do something. (Possibly even sending him down soon) I do not think Arcia is the answer and I would prefer him to stay where he is and continue to provide value where he is. The Brewers are 5th in all of baseball in OPS and 6th in runs scored. That ain't nothing.

I would send Villar down along with Rivera and bring up De Jesus when we re-activate Sogard. I would then platoon them both and let De Jesus hit against lefties as he is currently .410 / .463 / .525 /.987. Then let Sogard hit RHP as he is 343 / 461 / 486 / 947. What is the worst that could happen? If it isn't working in a month and Villar is doing fine in AAA then we just bring him back up.

I would send Villar down along with Rivera and bring up De Jesus when we re-activate Sogard. What is the worst that could happen?

to answer your question, another team could claim villar if the brewers tried to outright him to the minor leagues and that team would control him for the next three seasons after this one.

You look at the OPB for the Brewers and you shake your head at the line up. Seems like Counsel sticks with a line up way to long.

When you are winning, you don't mess with things. They've been winning pretty much all season. He's made adjustments to the lineup as needed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think after the last couple days, Santana sticks in the leadoff spot for now. Counsell was hoping to put him there at the beginning of last year, but he struggled at the start of the season and Villar emerged as a perfect leadoff hitter with his high OBP. Seems like the tables have turned this year.

The question then would be who bats 5th? If Perez is in the game he makes sense, but Villar doesn't make sense there. Pina maybe?

Sogard/Villar- 2B

Braun- LF

Shaw- 3B

Santana- RF

Thames- 1B

Brinson- CF

Pina/Bandy- C

Arcia- SS

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've been thinking for a bit with Thames struggles of late to shake it up with him and go with

Sogard/Villar

Santana

Shaw

Braun

Thames/Aguilar in pretty much platoon

Brinson

Catcher

Arcia

Tempting to put Arcia at leadoff but also don't want to rock the boat yet. Let him keep doing his thing at the bottom for now and see how Sogard/Villar do for a couple weeks. Then maybe flip flop them.

That's the thing really, the team has such an inconsistent day to tday lineup with all the depth it has that it's probably not worth fretting over it too much. There's always one or two people in or out most days. Just get in there and start mashing again like they were just a few days ago

Villar against lefties for 4 months......

.179 Avg

.255 OBP

.286 Slugging! 24 total bases!!!!

32% Strike out rate!

We are in a playoff hunt and this is the guy? Still? This is the guy who should be getting the most at bats in the game? Counsel, please!

Somebody, please, any stats on when Villar leads a game off opposed to Anyone else?

DeJesus is hitting .367 in AAA. Not that he should lead off here, but we need to have better options when a lefty starts. Perez, even now that we have an extra OF. I so want to get Kinsler here, as well.

You look at the OPB for the Brewers and you shake your head at the line up. Seems like Counsel sticks with a line up way to long.

When you are winning, you don't mess with things. They've been winning pretty much all season. He's made adjustments to the lineup as needed.

Good managers adjust even when you are winning. They weren't winning because of what the leadoff hitter was doing, they were winning in spite of what he was doing.

Its strange...

The in the case of the bucks you have Giannis Thon Parker developing and I cant bring myself to give Kidd and his coaches props for that... and I know they are TERRIBLE IN GAME. Bad offense defense inbound... you name it he's terrible and i give him no credit for their development.

CC and his coaches are quite brutal in game as well. Decisions seem to alter future decisions based on if the last one worked... quick hook... no... ok hang the next dude... hot hand... nope ok matchups next time. I struggle constantly with his ability to manage in game and with his coaches ability to read a situation in game. That being said... his pitching coach fixed Nelson. A number of guys have simply worked here for an unknown reason and the chemistry on this roster is a beautiful thing to watch.

CC might be an port in the storm for this team. Might be a great leader and he has some great developmental coaches around him. In this case I think he actually deserves credit here.

But in game... he needs to develop like these young players do or just like villar broxton... he should manage his way out of the job.

This last 2-7... I comfortably put 3 loses solely on him.

This last 2-7... I comfortably put 3 loses solely on him.

This comment is utterly ridiculous. There is no way the manager cost a team 3 losses in a 9 game stretch. Even Yost wasn't that bad. Last nights game was lost first by the defense, second by the bullpen, third by the offense and 4th by Counsel. He played a role, mostly when he didn't let Hader pitch to another batter but it was a really minor role compared to everything else.

Archived