Brewer Fanatic

Michael Fulmer

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Bleacher report said today the Det is listening to offers on Fulmer. Time to step up and make a deal.

Would love to have him, but would it justify the cost? Also, starting pitching hasn't been the problem.

Yeah same. I love Fulmer and would love to see him in a Brewer uniform but there isn't a pitcher out there besides Ohtani that is going to help solve the real problem on this team.

Bleacher report said today the Det is listening to offers on Fulmer. Time to step up and make a deal.

Would love to have him, but would it justify the cost? Also, starting pitching hasn't been the problem.

Yeah same. I love Fulmer and would love to see him in a Brewer uniform but there isn't a pitcher out there besides Ohtani that is going to help solve the real problem on this team.

We need a DH? Another 1B? Another outfielder?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm assuming Fulmer would cost similar or probably more than what was given up for Yelich. At this point I wouldn't want to deplete the system that much. Would rather keep Hiura, Burnes, Peralta, Ortiz, Erceg, etc.

I'm assuming Fulmer would cost similar or probably more than what was given up for Yelich. At this point I wouldn't want to deplete the system that much. Would rather keep Hiura, Burnes, Peralta, Ortiz, Erceg, etc.

Have no problem giving up Peralta/Ortiz/Erceg - Draw the line with Burnes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I disagree. If they ask for Burnes, he's on the first plane to Detroit before I hang up the phone. Fulmer is Burnes' absolute ceiling. I don't know where people are getting that Burnes is this "can't miss" ace. He is not, in my opinion. I think he is very similar as a prospect to Woodruff. Would anyone here not give up Woodruff for Fulmer?

Do the Brewers even have enough minor league capital to get a deal like this done? I think it's a legitimate question. The Brewers might not have any concerns over Hiura's elbow, but it's a virtual guarantee that 29 other major league teams do. I think it's doubtful that the Brewers would get "full value" for him until he spends an extended amount of time in the field and proves that the elbow is not a problem. Erceg and Ray are off to mediocre starts again this year after being mediocre last year. Ortiz got off to a nice start but got DL'ed again. Doesn't look like the number of innings question will be answered this year. Grisham's hit tool is looking sub-par and he doesn't have enough pop in his bat to overcome that IMO. Lutz has been better lately but to this point has been overmatched in full season ball. Burnes and Peralta have been the two best among the top-tier prospects but neither has been overwhelming. Peralta's walk rate has been rather unimpressive (4.4 BB/9 after 4.65 BB/9 last year). Then bouncing down to the next group and there are a bunch of pretty underwhelming performances there too in Diplan, Houser, Gatewood, etc. You get down the list and how many guys have done well? Stokes, Supak, Nottingham and maybe a couple more but not many.

If I'm a opposing GM and if the Brewers are looking to get a top talent (middle of the order bat...tweener 2/3 starter or better), the first name I start with when looking at the Brewer's organization is Josh Hader. If the Brewers take his name off the board (which they should), I really question if the Brewers have enough to get a player like Fulmer. Second name I'd ask about would be Santana, but considering the Brewers didn't move him this off-season, it's probably safe to say that I value Santana far higher than the average MLB GM does. Yelich would be of interest if the trading team can take on the salary. Then in the minors there is Burnes and I'm not seeing a whole lot else. Woodruff still is lurking in there, he should still have back end top 100 talent even with the Brewers totally messing around with the MLB-AAA rotation-bullpen nonsense that they've put him through so far.

Is Fulmer really that good though? I see low ERA's and low WHIP's but also a pretty low k rate. His k-rate in the minors was rather unspectacular and it's been about 3 less per 9 in the majors so far. Without digging too far into his numbers he seems like a pitch to contact guy. Do we really want that with our craptactular infield defense? He's certainly a middle of the rotation at worst guy but Detroit will be looking for a haul and really what you'll be paying for is control and low salary, not actual performance.

Do the Brewers even have enough minor league capital to get a deal like this done? I think it's a legitimate question. The Brewers might not have any concerns over Hiura's elbow, but it's a virtual guarantee that 29 other major league teams do. I think it's doubtful that the Brewers would get "full value" for him until he spends an extended amount of time in the field and proves that the elbow is not a problem. Erceg and Ray are off to mediocre starts again this year after being mediocre last year. Ortiz got off to a nice start but got DL'ed again. Doesn't look like the number of innings question will be answered this year. Grisham's hit tool is looking sub-par and he doesn't have enough pop in his bat to overcome that IMO. Lutz has been better lately but to this point has been overmatched in full season ball. Burnes and Peralta have been the two best among the top-tier prospects but neither has been overwhelming. Peralta's walk rate has been rather unimpressive (4.4 BB/9 after 4.65 BB/9 last year). Then bouncing down to the next group and there are a bunch of pretty underwhelming performances there too in Diplan, Houser, Gatewood, etc. You get down the list and how many guys have done well? Stokes, Supak, Nottingham and maybe a couple more but not many.

If I'm a opposing GM and if the Brewers are looking to get a top talent (middle of the order bat...tweener 2/3 starter or better), the first name I start with when looking at the Brewer's organization is Josh Hader. If the Brewers take his name off the board (which they should), I really question if the Brewers have enough to get a player like Fulmer. Second name I'd ask about would be Santana, but considering the Brewers didn't move him this off-season, it's probably safe to say that I value Santana far higher than the average MLB GM does. Yelich would be of interest if the trading team can take on the salary. Then in the minors there is Burnes and I'm not seeing a whole lot else. Woodruff still is lurking in there, he should still have back end top 100 talent even with the Brewers totally messing around with the MLB-AAA rotation-bullpen nonsense that they've put him through so far.

Well Burnes and Hiura plus filler would probably get him but you’re right, the Brewers minor league system looks pretty bad right now. I haven’t seen a recent ranking but we have to be in the 20’s at this point and that’s only because of Hiura, Burnes, and Woodruff. We have guys we don’t have a single star unless Hiura can project as a 2B at some point.

Well Burnes and Hiura plus filler would probably get him but you’re right, the Brewers minor league system looks pretty bad right now. I haven’t seen a recent ranking but we have to be in the 20’s at this point and that’s only because of Hiura, Burnes, and Woodruff. We have guys we don’t have a single star unless Hiura can project as a 2B at some point.

That is an EXTREMELY pessimistic viewpoint. Peralta and Derby are pitching very well at AAA, and several pitchers at AA have been great. The system has been very good from top to bottom. There are not many of the "ultra hype machine" prospects, but it is a deep system with a lot of players that project to be major leaguers. This isn't the Brewers system of 15 years ago with Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, JJ Hardy and then a bunch of Jeff Picklers.

I tend to track the farm system rankings each off season so I have some info to share.

In terms of farm system rankings, there were a handful of rankings that were released after the Yelich/ Brinson trade & the source noted the ranking was updated to reflect the talent move.

Baseball Prospectus: 19 overall

John Sickels: 14 overall

Prospect Digest: 22 overall

MiLB.com: 17 overall

Bleacher Report (Feb '18 update): 14 overall

A couple of other smaller websites had the Brewers farm listed at 13 & 21.

So on average that's #17. I'd say the ranking would be just a tick lower now with some disappointing early season performances, but not a big drop because folks can't go nuts over just a single month of plate appearances/innings pitched. Seem to be pretty solid in the #16-#20 range.

Problem is the #16-#20 range is probably earned through depth and not top end talent, and when sellers are moving top performers they will be looking for top end talent in return. And the Brewers really don't have much of that. Add Hiura's elbow and DH-status into the mix and it just hurts matters that much more.

I disagree. If they ask for Burnes, he's on the first plane to Detroit before I hang up the phone. Fulmer is Burnes' absolute ceiling. I don't know where people are getting that Burnes is this "can't miss" ace. He is not, in my opinion. I think he is very similar as a prospect to Woodruff. Would anyone here not give up Woodruff for Fulmer?

Trading Burnes for Fulmer, yes no doubt. The thing is Burnes will be a piece to the trade, not the entire trade. Is it worth selling multiple future pieces for a relatively uncertain present? Is one pitcher putting this team not only into playoff contention, but title contention?

At this point, it would make more sense to trade prospects for Realmuto and Starlin Castro.

Projecting to be a major leaguer doesn’t matter. Technically Nick Franklin is a major leaguer. Being deep doesn’t matter if all you are doing is filling out the bottom of your mlb roster.

It’s projection to be a good to great major leaguer that matters.

To that end, only Hiura is in that category at the moment and that’s only if he can become a 2B. I do like Burnes but he doesn’t project as that 60 grade type that makes a major league system strong.

It can’t see how a trade that doesn’t include Burnes and Hiura

Projecting to be a major leaguer doesn’t matter. Technically Nick Franklin is a major leaguer. Being deep doesn’t matter if all you are doing is filling out the bottom of your mlb roster.

It’s projection to be a good to great major leaguer that matters.

To that end, only Hiura is in that category at the moment and that’s only if he can become a 2B. I do like Burnes but he doesn’t project as that 60 grade type that makes a major league system strong.

It can’t see how a trade that doesn’t include Burnes and Hiura

Is that really what you think of our system? That it’s just a bunch of Nick Franklin potential types filling out benches?

I’m not disagreeing that Fulmer probably requires Burnes and Hiura, but I do definitely disagree with your evaluation of our system.

I think this team has too many question marks to splurge on a pitcher like Fulmer at this time. Let's see how some of the other question marks on the teams evolve first before unloading our best prospects at a time where we just aren't that good.

We don't need starting pitching. Our starters have been about league average ranking 14th in the MLB in terms of starters ERA. Nelson due back soon and we have quality depth in AAA. What we really need is some offense...outside of Hiura who do we have that is projected to be an impact bat in our system? No chance he gets traded.

Archived