Brewer Fanatic

Babying Hader

He should be starting. We need starters and he is a starter. We are trying to win and make the playoffs. Our better pitchers ( minus Knebel) should pitch more innings... we can't fill the gap with our bullpen as is.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He should be starting. We need starters and he is a starter. We are trying to win and make the playoffs. Our better pitchers ( minus Knebel) should pitch more innings... we can't fill the gap with our bullpen as is.

We don't need starters. Our rotation has been really good lately. One implosion in a spot start doesn't mean we need starters.

Agree. He's been up 49 days and has only 13 appearances and 17 IP. He had 52 IP in AAA. At roughly 1/3 IP per day, he's on pace for around 93 innings for the year. He should get around 150 if he wants to be a Brewer starter next year.

Yikes, I hope he doesn't reach 150 IP while pitching out of the BP this year. None of our BP guys should be reaching 100 IP out of the BP (with Hader's 52 at AAA, he would need 100 in 4 months). That is incredibly hard on an arm out of the BP.

Agree. I don't like how they've used him this year. I hope they put him in the rotation next year, but he'll have to be shut down early. Davies and Nelson are already around 120-130 IP, so he'd probably get shut down sometime in August if he stayed healthy. That's fine if we're not competing, but it'll hurt if we really are a team that can compete.

By the time he'll be ready to go a full season (assuming they don't just keep him in the 'pen, which would be a waste), he'll be ready to start collecting big paychecks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We don't need starters. Our rotation has been really good lately. One implosion in a spot start doesn't mean we need starters.

The way he's been used is the equivalent of bringing up Brinson to get one pinch hit per week. That may be an important PA, but he's much more valuable playing everyday.

Since young pitchers need to gradually increase their innings, bringing Hader up to the 'pen when they did (after giving him 2 inning starts at AAA) means that he will not get nearly enough innings to be a full-time rotation candidate next year. Keep this up, and the Brewers will have greatly decreased the value of one of their most potentially valuable players.

Is the immediate term value they're receiving by putting him in the 'pen this year and using him for a couple of innings per week worth seriously diminishing the total value we should get from him over the six years of team control? I have agreed with most of what the Brewers have done over the past couple of years, but I don't agree with them here. They should have just kept him as a starter, or at least let him pitch more when he was at AAA to get his innings up before bringing him to the MLB pen. The guy could be dominant, and instead of seeing that for 1,000+ innings over his career as a Brewer, we'll get much less.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I do think they need more of a plan with him going forward. Either free him up to be a multiple inning guy this season or send him back down (not the route I would take) to stretch him back out and bring him back in a month. Maybe piggy back with Suter, that would be a nice contrast in styles too.

I do think they need more of a plan with him going forward. Either free him up to be a multiple inning guy this season or send him back down (not the route I would take) to stretch him back out and bring him back in a month. Maybe piggy back with Suter, that would be a nice contrast in styles too.

Wouldn't that be fun?

Hader threw 53 pitches Saturday. Would be perfect time to have him replace Guerra in rotation and face St. Louis on Thursday since he probably could go 70-75 pitches next time out. Instead management saying he'll stay in relief which means we likely won't see him at all against the Cardinals.

He does certainly have value in relief, but that value is greatly diminished when he's used once a week.

They are not moving Hader to the rotation. Stearns has basically flat out said this.

Frankly the pen needs him a lot more.

I agree with this and also feel this will be the case in 2018. Nelson anderson davies garza 5 mil option and until they prove otherwise Suter and Woodruff are the 1st two to get the last spot. I'm extremely pro hader but hes now gone 3 ip twice at 50 pitches both times. It looks unlikely he'd get a 7th inning. More like 5-6 regularly. Many have pointed to his lack of quality non fastball pitches... at least for strikes. He doesn't appear to me to be a rotation guy yet. He probably wouldnt gain from experience in CS. He already a weapon out of the pen.

If down the stretch they start viewing this guy as our Andrew Miller... I'm perfectly ok with him there for the rest of the year and all of 2018 as well. High leverage... amp up his use.

And by 2018... burnes ortiz get in the discussion. So until hader can get his control to ace level... i want him as a pen ace. It's not that uncommon.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The starting pitching has been fine, aside from Guerra. Anderson and Garza will both be back soon and that problem will be solved. Even if (big if) we are still entertaining the option of fighting for a playoff spot the bullpen is the area of most need and figuring out how to get Hader more usage there can only help.

Archived