Brewer Fanatic

September call-ups

statman0007
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adding Guerra, Wang and Williams should really mean the end of seeing Torres near a competitive ball game again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My guess is that Guerra will get a chance to start rather than being used out of the bullpen, maybe could piggyback with Suter on Sunday?

Not at the expense of competing, but Brewers need to know what they have in Guerra going into next year. Also if he can show any semblance of regaining form, it'd make it easier to trade him for something of substance in the offseason if they decide to go that route (he's owed the league minimum next year so if Garza has value at $5M, someone would take at least a flyer on Guerra).

congrats to T-Will, Phillips, Wang & Guerra. still think Guerra would be dynamic out of the pen. but, either way- glad he gets another chance- hope he capitalizes off of it in whatever role. as others have mentioned Suter, Brinson, Bandy/Susac will be added when they return from injury and Woodruff is also all but assured. The only other guy I hope they bring up is Jungmann. As has been said lots of times here, he has proven to be able to dominate at times- when he is on, he's on. and he has pitched extraordinarily well at AAA. in addition, September will be important to assessing his future with the club this offseason.

if we weren't in a pennant chase i'd like to see Webb up. but, he has been atrocious so far. hopefully the next time we see him will be in Spring Training.

Adding Guerra, Wang and Williams should really mean the end of seeing Torres near a competitive ball game again.

big yes.

My guess is that Guerra will get a chance to start rather than being used out of the bullpen, maybe could piggyback with Suter on Sunday?

Not at the expense of competing, but Brewers need to know what they have in Guerra going into next year. Also if he can show any semblance of regaining form, it'd make it easier to trade him for something of substance in the offseason if they decide to go that route (he's owed the league minimum next year so if Garza has value at $5M, someone would take at least a flyer on Guerra).

IMO, they can know what they have in Guerra with a radar gun in a bullpen session.

If Guerra is regularly throwing 95 with a with his splitter in the mid 80s, put him in high leverage situations this year and plan for him to be at least in the mix for a rotation spot next year.

If he's in the low 90s/low 80s on the pitches I mentioned above...do not consider him an important piece.

Maybe for this year he can get back to throwing mid 90s out of the bullpen which is at least somewhat valuable. If so, he could be considered as a bullpen piece later.

official: activation of andrew susac and brent suter. recall of junior guerra, brett phillips, wei-chung wang, taylor williams and brandon woodruff.

the brewers roster is at 32 players. that's a lot of raiding of the minor leagues, considering they're still playing (and have aaa postseason games looming).

one would expect to see jett bandy activated soon, and taylor jungmann and jorge lopez as likely recalls when minor league play finally ends. the activation of lewis brinson depends on how he returns from his injury.

I'm very excited to see what Williams can do. That was the only recall that surprised me, I'm curious what his stuff looks like after 2 years off.

Supposedly hitting 99 with SB and video of his slider looks nasty.

Wasn't it Braun who said he had the best stuff in the organization? Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Very excited to see Taylor Williams pitch. He could nasty out of the bullpen this year. A real weapon ala Hader but from the right side.

Hopefully he and Hader get a shot at the rotation next spring.

IDK, with Taylor's injury history may be smarter to keep him in pen.

Very excited to see Taylor Williams pitch. He could nasty out of the bullpen this year. A real weapon ala Hader but from the right side.

I saw someone just on here(LouiseEly maybe) quote someone from the medical staff who said that once the shoulder and elbow are fully healed, there's no more reason to expect further injury beyond what you'd expect from anyone else. Edit-This was from an old post and I am not sure who made the comment.

I also wonder if the pen is more apt to keep a pitcher healthy than the rotation unless they use a guy like we used Hader. Don't get him up unless he's pitching and give him 3 days off after he pitches.

Either way, it's going to be fun just to watch him pitch and it's a cool story. Guy had to be thinking his career was..at least in limbo, two years out of the game, and now he's pitching in a Sept race.

If the stuff is there for Williams why not try him in something simple, and see if he can give you 10 or so great innings since no one has a scouting report? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but we are actually calling up guys with talent who are more then just prayers to be better.

I saw someone just on here(LouiseEly maybe) quote someone from the medical staff who said that once the shoulder and elbow are fully healed, there's no more reason to expect further injury beyond what you'd expect from anyone else. Edit-This was from an old post and I am not sure who made the comment.

I also wonder if the pen is more apt to keep a pitcher healthy than the rotation unless they use a guy like we used Hader. Don't get him up unless he's pitching and give him 3 days off after he pitches.

Either way, it's going to be fun just to watch him pitch and it's a cool story. Guy had to be thinking his career was..at least in limbo, two years out of the game, and now he's pitching in a Sept race.

With elbows and TJ surgery in today's world that is mostly true. Shoulders not so much. Urias's injury, which is a loose capsule requiring a capsular shift, is very possibly career ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just realized Wily wasn't called up. Thank god. I know he's not on the 40 man but they certainly seemed to make an effort to have him pitch in the bigs earlier this year.

I'm pretty sure Wily is done as a Brewer. No way they pay him $4M next year. They will let him go. And he won't want to be back. He'll want a fresh opportunity - which is what is needed. No point in bringing him back in September -- instead take a look at some of the other guys who could actually be part of the future.

Just realized Wily wasn't called up. Thank god. I know he's not on the 40 man but they certainly seemed to make an effort to have him pitch in the bigs earlier this year.

I'm pretty sure Wily is done as a Brewer. No way they pay him $4M next year. They will let him go. And he won't want to be back. He'll want a fresh opportunity - which is what is needed. No point in bringing him back in September -- instead take a look at some of the other guys who could actually be part of the future.

I think all that was pretty clear earlier this year but he continued to get starts and was trash, was moved to the bullpen and was trash, and after coming off the DL in a perfect spot to DFA him he was put back in the bullpen and was still trash.

Archived