Brewer Fanatic

Quintana to The Cubs for a lot

jjgott
I tried going there to see what was happening, but my eyeballs exploded between all of the ads, obnoxious jpegs, gifs, and quotes of quotes of quotes. It's kind of like a message board representation of going to a game at Wrigley Field.

Except without the wetbutt.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see going to another team's forum to see what they thought of the trade. But in this case, it would be the White Sox. Seeing what we think of the trade is a bit odd...

It would be natural for those fans to come over here for a look as the Brewers are ahead of the Cubs in the standings. Get the temp & feel type of thing.

Strange would by those same fans checking a Reds or Tigers board.

Sure glad that Quintana guy is mediocre.

Yes because shutting down a completely dysfunctional Orioles offense means you are a super star. Quintana gave up the same number of runs against them that Garza did to use one example.

Sure glad that Quintana guy is mediocre.

Yes because shutting down a completely dysfunctional Orioles offense means you are a super star. Quintana gave up the same number of runs against them that Garza did to use one example.

It's ok to say that Quintana pitched a fabulous game. That same Orioles offense scored eight runs on the Cubs pitching the night before.

Time will tell on how he does going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
Being reported that the offer was Ray and Ortiz for Jose Quintana

That's not a bad package, but not close to what the Cubs gave up. I'm glad we didn't try to match the Cubs' offer. They have a lot of young talent at the MLB level and an unlimited check book, so they can make that deal. The Brewers couldn't afford to pay that much in talent, so kudos to Stearns/Attanasio for understanding that would have been a big overpay for them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Being reported that the offer was Ray and Ortiz for Jose Quintana

That's not a bad package, but not close to what the Cubs gave up. I'm glad we didn't try to match the Cubs' offer. They have a lot of young talent at the MLB level and an unlimited check book, so they can make that deal. The Brewers couldn't afford to pay that much in talent, so kudos to Stearns/Attanasio for understanding that would have been a big overpay for them.

Ortiz is two levels above Cease, and just a few months older. I believe the Brewers had a decided edge there. The problem is the Jimenez is younger and outperforming Ray in the same league and appears to be the best prospect in the deal and that's what it came down to I'm sure. If the Sox had been in love with Ray, it would've worked. They weren't.

Ortiz is a better prospect than Cease by a long shot to be sure, but Jimenez blows Ray out of the water.

Good for the Cubs for recognizing an opportunity and going out and getting Quintana. It has made a world of difference and completely swung the momentum of the division.

I hope the Brewers don't go out and get Gray at this point, Quintana was the much better option and rumor has it they want Brinson for Gray and that's just madness to me.

MLB.com just updated their top 100 prospect list. They have Jimenez at #7 and Cease at #68. Ortiz is #82 and Ray is #69.

These lists are just opinions, but in the opinion of the people at MLB.com, the Brewer's alleged offer was not nearly as good as the Cubs. Even replacing one of the guys with Brinson wouldn't have matched the Cubs' offer, although it would have been very close.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

MLB.com just updated their top 100 prospect list. They have Jimenez at #7 and Cease at #68. Ortiz is #82 and Ray is #69.

These lists are just opinions, but in the opinion of the people at MLB.com, the Brewer's alleged offer was not nearly as good as the Cubs. Even replacing one of the guys with Brinson wouldn't have matched the Cubs' offer, although it would have been very close.

Anything mlb.com posts should come with an asterisk noting that they highly favor big market prospects versus small market prospects. Ortiz would probably be in the 40s if he was in the cubs organization, and 30s if in the dodgers.

Anything mlb.com posts should come with an asterisk noting that they highly favor big market prospects versus small market prospects. Ortiz would probably be in the 40s if he was in the cubs organization, and 30s if in the dodgers.

This is totally right. I recall a few years ago, they ranked about three Red Sox pitchers, none of whom amounted to anything, pretty highly and above Jimmy Nelson. I pointed out how ludicrous it was at the time and I have been vindicated. I think there is a big market bias because the reporters/experts seem to reside in bigger markets and they also tailor to the large market fan bases (business decision).

Rick Hahn said the Cubs offer was by far the best of anything else they were offered.

I doubt he would say anything else. He wants his fans to feel good about trading their best pitcher.

And how did that work out for the Cubs today?

Well, Quintana got out-pitched by 2012 31st-round pick Brent Suter.

Rick Hahn said the Cubs offer was by far the best of anything else they were offered.

I doubt he would say anything else. He wants his fans to feel good about trading their best pitcher.

If their next best offer was Ray and Ortiz I would say that it is true.

And how did that work out for the Cubs today?

Well, Quintana got out-pitched by 2012 31st-round pick Brent Suter.

Quintana pitched plenty well. His defense didn't help him out a whole lot

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quintana pitched plenty well. His defense didn't help him out a whole lot

Really? They robbed a home run and made nice plays on numerous line drive hits by the Brewers. Quintana did a great job minimizing damage but the Brewers had a ton of runners in scoring position the first few innings.

Quintana today

5 IP. 6 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 3 HR allowed

Eloy Jimenez since being traded to the White Sox: .343 Batting Average, .405 On-Base %. .657 Slugging (end/small sample alert)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived