Brewer Fanatic

Quintana to The Cubs for a lot

jjgott
Good. This will make winning the division that much more satisfying.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Giving up #1 and #2 in the system does seem like a lot, especially a guy like Jimenez that is a top 10 overall prospect. However, they are both in A ball and a lot can happen between A ball and MLB. There are no guarantees with either of those guys. Quintana has 169 MLB starts under his belt and is a proven MLB pitcher who is controllable for a few years. Would not mind this trade at all if I were a Cubs fan.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It might come down to if their hitting rebounds or not. If their offense proves to not be so elite in coming years they may be in trouble. As mentioned their rotation and pitching in general is not very good and Quintana only helps one spot. They can use FA to an extent with their large payroll, but only so much and they won't have much for resources to trade.

I think the Cubs got a great deal, but the only celebration for the Brewers is the fact it reminds us their farm system is weak, their pitching is a major concern to them, and they don't have young help on the way. Having them depend on FA to find help is an exciting thought. This Cubs team could be in a sad sad state once 2020 or so rolls around.

I'm surprised the 3rd piece wasnt better but look at whats left for the Cubs minors. Arrieta will be gone, Lackey,Lester, Hayward will be a year older. This immediately puts the Cubs feel like the Cardinals. Sprinters who'sfinish line is 100meters ahead. Milwaukee is sitting with a 4X400 relay if they stay true to the rebuild.

I think if I were DS, I really would try to mine for relief help. I think with our offense we can get by with our rotation and having a few more reliable options in the pen would help if any one starter falters more.

Community Moderator

It's a desperation move for the Cubs, but we all know this is probably going to be the spark that gets them going.

The Brewers absolutely should not pay a similar price for a different starter to match this deal.

I'm actually even more okay with standing pat now. If the right deal is there for Gray or someone like that, go for it, but don't fall into the panic move trap.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The timing of this is a little funny too in the sense that the trade deadline is a ways away and so the concern of Stearns and Co. panicking into a move is a non-factor because we have 2 full weeks of baseball to play to see how both teams start the 2nd half.

Not saying this played into the decision at all, but had the Cubs been able to wait another week + … they could have applied a bit more pressure on the Crew to try and match the move. Now we can get well past game #100 to determine if something needs to be done.

My initial reaction to the trade is good for the Cubs but it has no effect on my outlook on the 2017 Brewers and our path to the division title.

Even the best case scenario for the Cubs and they go on a second half run and take the division, unless some of their bats can get back into 2016 form, I don't see them beating the Dodgers in a 7 game series even with this move.

Big fan of this trade overall for the Brewers. Kind of sucks that it was the Cubs that got Quintana, but at least they gutted the farm and hopefully he won't be a huge difference maker for them. I'm also of the opinion that this makes the Brewers even more likely to just stand pat.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'm not disappointed we didn't go for it, just would have prefered him to end up in another division. I think that for the rest of the season he'll play more like 2014-2016 Quintana than first-half 2017. The Cubs rotation has been terrible, and some of them will be FAs after this year and/or are getting old. It's a move that makes sense for them, even if it guts their farm system. It makes less sense for us.

I honestly don't think we were ever truly in the race, I would imagine that the quoted price put us off rather sharply. But yeah, will be interesting to see if we'll be in the running for a Gray or whoever else will be available. I would imagine not though.

Wheelin dealin Stearns might not be done yet. We might sign some Indy ball player that become our ace. Ya just never know what's up a magicians sleeve.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This basically puts the Cubs' next 5 years into how they spend their free agency money now.

Their starting 8 will be pretty good and is all under control for pretty much that long plus Zobrist and Heyward.

I'll split the difference and say that Hendricks/Lester/Quintana are all very solid mid-rotation guys at this point in their careers.

If they can buy an ace, restock the bullpen, and add an elite bat at a spot of need that may come up then they still are going to be tough to beat over the next ~5 years.

I'm surprised the 3rd piece wasnt better but look at whats left for the Cubs minors. Arrieta will be gone, Lackey,Lester, Hayward will be a year older. This immediately puts the Cubs feel like the Cardinals. Sprinters who'sfinish line is 100meters ahead. Milwaukee is sitting with a 4X400 relay if they stay true to the rebuild.

The few cubs fans I know don't give a hoot. They won a race and are content to remind you that subsequent races for the next 50 years don't matter to them.

I've watched him pitch several times this year (he's been on my fantasy team for the last 4 years), and he really doesn't seem the same to me. Seems like the ball has been up way more than in the past. I was really hoping the Brewers wouldn't acquire him. I think he's losing some power, particularly in his legs, although his velocity seems fine, if down just a smidge.

Or that could all be wishful thinking.

I really don't think this impacts the Brewers at all for 2017 - Cubs improved their rotation with a good starting pitcher at the cost of further gutting their farm system. The Brewers mash lefties that don't have lights out stuff, so any head to head matchups against Quintana aren't going to sway heavily in their favor.

I view this move as more of a longterm fix to the Cubs' starting pitching holes - Lackey appears done, Arietta probably won't be back in Chicago and has been uneven this year, and Hendricks isn't Greg Maddux. Factor in an aging and expensive Lackey and a guy like Quintana with a team-friendly contract makes great sense to them heading into next year. That probably gives them budget to sign another veteran free agent starter, and start exploring contract extensions to some of their young position players.

If the Brewers were going to trade multiple prospects for impact starting pitching before the deadline, I'd rather it be for Gray or Stroman.

White Sox now have 3 of the top 11 prospects in baseball (according to MLB). No other team has more than 1 in the top 13. Not bad. Not to mention 6 of the top 36 prospects and 9 of the top 68 prospects.

While prospect rankings are pretty suspect, they're valuing higher ranked guys over quantity and not many teams could have given up a bigger individual prospect than Eloy.

Rotation update

Cubs vs Brewers

RHP Jake Arrieta RHP Jimmy Nelson

LHP Jon Lester RHP Chase Anderson (Suter to fill in)

LHP Jose Quintana RHP Junior Guerra (Woodruff to fin in?)

RHP Kyle Hendricks RHP Zach Davies

RHP Jon Lackey RHP Matt Garza

How does this move NOT effect the Brewers this season?

Archived