Brewer Fanatic

Quintana to The Cubs for a lot

jjgott

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes perfect sense for them. Surprised it only took that much. He is pretty darn good and really controllable. Not sure how much I care about them hurting their system when they already have a loaded/controllable MLB roster. Hurts us in the short term.

For the Cubs they best hope he rebounds back to a #2 starter and their team can rebound not only this year...but the next couple.

into it. not sure he's going to be a huge game changer for the cubs, but losing those prospects will be, long term :)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't give up more. Rose and Flete are just organizational filler. It's basically for Jimenez and Cease. Basically the equivalent of Brinson+Ortiz+ 2 filler guys from us. I would have probably done that.

Makes perfect sense for them. Surprised it only took that much. He is pretty darn good and really controllable. Not sure how much I care about them hurting their system when they already have a loaded/controllable MLB roster. Hurts us in the short term.

For the Cubs they best hope he rebounds back to a #2 starter and their team can rebound not only this year...but the next couple.

Agreed. I can't spin this into a positive for us. If he were a rental, sure, but Quintana is a great move for the near future for them as well. Its exactly what their rotation needs. Jimenez and Cease are big losses for sure but for what they're getting, not a huge price to pay.

Not sure why people are acting like they just got destroyed.

I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't give up more. Rose and Flete are just organizational filler. It's basically for Jimenez and Cease. Basically the equivalent of Brinson+Ortiz+ 2 filler guys from us. I would have probably done that.

It was also their top 2 prospects. So another way of looking at it is Brinson + Hader + others would be the equivalent… which I wouldn’t have touched.

With Happ and Almora already up in the bigs the Cubs farm system right now is bare of anything substantial.

Agreed. I can't spin this into a positive for us. If he were a rental, sure, but Quintana is a great move for the near future for them as well. Its exactly what their rotation needs. Jimenez and Cease are big losses for sure but for what they're getting, not a huge price to pay.

I'm at the stage of "could be really good" or "could be really bad" so you can definitely spin it positively.

Quintana isn't prime CC so it's possible that the Cubs will still not catch the Brewers this season.

Beyond this year, yes this makes them better, but their rotation in general after this year is very in flux still and their farm system will not be easily replenishing the pros anymore.

It was also their top 2 prospects. So another way of looking at it is Brinson + Hader + others would be the equivalent… which I wouldn’t have touched.

With Happ and Almora already up in the bigs the Cubs farm system right now is bare of anything substantial.

Their farm sucks now to be sure, but they've still got a pretty young roster and now years of control over Quintana. They are pretty set for a few years and while they won't have farm reinforcements on the way to a large degree they have plenty of capital to spend to fill in the gaps.

Can't believe the Sox couldn't get more than this closer to the deadline from a team with a better farm from the bidding war that would have ensued with all the interested teams. They must have just felt it too risky to wait.

This is a good move for this year for the Cubs. It does nothing but hurt them long term. Yes Quintana will be around next year but they could have just signed a FA without giving up players to cover that need. This also may just be Quintana's decline. That may seem strange from a 28 year old pitcher but he has always done it with somewhat of a smoke and mirrors approach instead of having dominating stuff. His xFIP was over 4 last year and is over 4 again this year. His command is down, his hard hit rate is up etc. This isn't just a flukey bad season, this is a season where he pitched poorly and it is a trend that started last season. It may just be a blip on the radar but it is now 2 years of skills that don't support him being a front line starter.

For this year it is pretty huge though as I felt they would make a run at 1st at some point and this certainly will help.

Dang. I thought Quintana would cost more.

I see no way to spin this as good news for the Brewers.

Can't believe they didn't have to give up Haap or Schwarber.

Eloy Jimenez is a top 5 prospect in baseball though. He was the headliner the White Sox were looking for I guess.

Archived