Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Pride

BA listed the top prospects from the Midwest today, and here's a look at the top prospects from Wisconsin:

WISCONSIN

There are plenty of arms but not many position players in Wisconsin this year. With a good body (6-foot-4, 210 pounds) and an 87-90 mph fastball, Ryan Zink could sneak into the first 10 rounds.

1. Ryan Zink, rhp, La Follete HS, Madison

2. Cal Stanke, rhp, St. Mary Central HS, Neenah

3. Tony Harper, c/rhp, Oak Creek HS, South Milwaukee

4. Jordan Timm, lhp, U. of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

5. Dan Grybash, rhp, Carthage U.

6. John Stocco, rhp, U. of Wisconsin (CONTROL: Twins)

7. Brady Endl, lhp/1b, U. of Wisconsin-Whitewater

8. Daryl Maday, rhp, Westosha Central HS, Bristol

9. Nick Johnson, of, Ripon College

10.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Brooks Bollinger, 3b, U. of Wisconsin

Brooks Bollinger has been drafted by the Dodgers the past couple of years, although I'm guessing he's going to have to absolutely fail at football before he joins the minor leagues.

A lot of the high school kids were in Cedar Rapids, Iowa a week ago at the Perfect Game pre-draft showcase. It gave a chance for some of the northern kids to show their stuff, as Iowa & Wisconsin are the only 2 states that I know of that play their seasons during the summer (I know some teams in WI play baseball in the spring, or at least they used to). Tough to gauge a lot of these kids because so many times they haven't had the reps to make a strong showing at this pre-draft event. Matt Macri & Jeff Clement are 2 of the most recent kids from Iowa that suffered in the draft because they had poor showings. You think their track record would speak for them, but it does speak volumes on how even your last impression really leaves a mark in the scouting world. I've always argued that the only reason Brad Nelson fell to us in the 4th round in '01 was because he played in Iowa.

Anyway, Tony Harper really turned some heads at the Perfect Game event, and some are speculating that he might get drafted within the top 10 rounds. Keep in mind, not too many WI kids get drafted at all, so that is somewhat of a victory. The MJS did an interesting story on Harpery in today's paper. Given some of those issues & how much teams place emphasis on character, he is really going to have to wow some teams to get drafted as high as round 10. Nice to see Harvey Kuenn Jr.'s name in the mix, as the Brewers should definitely be interested in their own hometown kids, especially at a position of need.

www.jsonline.com/sports/p...143417.asp

Be sure to check the link on the right to read about some of the other talented prospects in SE WI. The kids from Brookfield Central are a couple to watch for next year, as both I believe are projected to go somewhere in the top 5-7 rounds.

Hey Patrick! Nice article on the possible WI kids that may get drafted. It is always nice to see what kind of prospects are actually in our state. There may not be a whole lot like the Southern states, but we will take what we got.

Archived