Brewer Fanatic

Let's say we don't make a significant trade, who would you bring up?

RobDeer 45
If no significant trades are made, I'd like to see Woodruff replace Geurra(sent to minors to work things out), Burnes given a shot to take Garza's rotation spot(Garza back to the pen) and Wang and/or Ortiz possibly, to be brought up for more bullpen help. If Villar continues to struggle, send him to AAA(if option is available), and start Sogard at 2nd again when healthy. Imo Brinson also should be brought up again at some point. Maybe try to trade Broxton for prospects instead of him as a piece of a trade offer for pitching, to make room for Brinson. Lewis deserves an honest chance to start consistently

Keep an eye on Burnes. Not sure about his "stuff" but if he's stats are off the charts good so far.

This is who I was going to bring up. I'm wondering if it would make some sense to bring him up and put him in the pen. Keeps his innings down and utilizes what appears to be a pretty solid talent.

I think Burns has the stuff and better yet....he commands it all to perfection. Not electric or straight nasty as a Braddock (he could have been something special.....) but he has four pitches he can attack hitters with in nearly any count. He is a bulldog. I don't think he is an Ace but I do see him as a solid Chase Anderson type pitcher. I actually think Anderson is pretty good comp for him. Both can sit comfortably in the 91-94 range, are bulldogs who attack hitters, and have very good command. Both aren't nasty guys or over powering, however, throw hard enough and have enough movement while hitting spots to cause major issues to hitters. Like Chase he may have stretches like most command pitchers where he will be hit hard when not hitting all the spots or a key pitch isn't there but then also just go on lights out tears when on.

Many don't want to start his clock or add him until next year but I'd love to see him get the call! For over 3 months now, he has been the most consistent and dominant pitcher in the milb! He had a quality start giving up 3 runs over 6 or 7 last week and I was disappointed that he pitched that bad lol It is a good sign when a 6-7 IP game only giving up 3 runs is your most horrid game of the season.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'll take the easy way out, and say there's simply no way of knowing who will be needed from the system.

Most common names I see here are Wang, Woodruff, and Burnes.

Wang- IF Suter goes back to the pen they would already have 2 lefties, so they may not want to add Wang. But probably better than 50/50 chance he comes up at some point due to injury/ineffectiveness.

Woodruff- By the time he's done with rehab, getting ramped up again, etc. it may be deep into August. Do you want to add him to the rotation at that point? Maybe, it all depends on how the back end of the rotation is performing. Once Anderson is back, you still have Guerra or Suter in the 5th spot, so this is really undecided.

Burnes- We don't know his innings limit. I can't imagine they add him to the rotation and have him pitching into October. They would either need to shut him down now for a while, or add him to the pen. I don't think they'll mess with him like that. However, it would make perfect sense to bring him up to the pen when the roster expands.

The Corbin Burnes dream needs to stop, unfortunately. Corbin Burnes threw 135 innings last year...he is already at 100 innings. He will be close to last years number by the end of July and near his absolute limit by the the end of August(I would guess). I greatly doubt the Brewers would put an unproven rookie in the bullpen come September and push him well past last years innings total. If the Brewers had an intention of using Burnes this year I would have expected them to start watching his innings by now. Instead he co distantly goes 6-7 innings at 90+ pitches.

I mean it could happen, but it seems like a pretty big long shot at this point in time.

Yeah, unfortunately they will need to watch his innings soon which will prevent him from helping us this year.

He'll be one of the most exciting and anticipated debuts near year though. If he goes say 155 innings this year they could set the bar at about 180 next year. At this point I'd say he's looking at a June 2018 ETA.

Straying OT, but it wouldn't surprise me if he starts the season next year in the rotation. There will likely be two spots available (Garza, Guerra) and even Davies is on shaky ground. Lots of ifs/ands/buts surrounding this, but Burnes and/or Woodruff could very easily be in the rotation next year from the get-go.

Straying OT, but it wouldn't surprise me if he starts the season next year in the rotation. There will likely be two spots available (Garza, Guerra) and even Davies is on shaky ground. Lots of ifs/ands/buts surrounding this, but Burnes and/or Woodruff could very easily be in the rotation next year from the get-go.

Garza has a 5 million dollar team option for next year. Hard to imagine he won't be back unless something drastic happens.

advocates for the devil

On the Burnes dream, if he pitched 135innings last year, and put him in the bullpen the end of July. He'll have what? 118IP? if he goes 3 starts and 6IP each. Bullpen guys get maybe 3IP a week?. 9weeks left add 27IP or 145IP which is not exceeding what I'd imagine an innings limit would be.

Maybe you could trade Burnes for Hader's role and ready Hader for SP down the stretch? But I dunno, Hader has been great aside from his walks. I think if his walks lowered like his wonderful 3IP relief he makes a case to look at Setup role with Knebel in closer role. Bump Barnes to 7th inning with Drake/Hughes as roll RP. I mean what if you are going Hader 4-5outs and Knebel 3-4outs come late season/Playoffs? The depth the Brewers possess can easily pull a double switch to avoid the Pitcher spot coming up in that 7th/8th at bat.

This all really Hinges on Woodruff. He pitches well better than a #5 well I think that is enough. Only other spot I'm looking is Susac/Bandy/Vogt, getting the right #2 catcher down the stretch in September.

I heard after the break initially from the Brewers, then I saw a poster here say by the end of July, though I haven't seen that in any of the Brewers stuff personally, it's probably somewhere in the middle. His injury was lower body (hamstring) so he has likely been throwing regularly and won't need a full rehab stint that you normally see with starters. Unless he's got something going on like peralta or Guerra I see him coming back fairly quickly once ready.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I heard after the break initially from the Brewers, then I saw a poster here say by the end of July, though I haven't seen that in any of the Brewers stuff personally, it's probably somewhere in the middle. His injury was lower body (hamstring) so he has likely been throwing regularly and won't need a full rehab stint that you normally see with starters. Unless he's got something going on like peralta or Guerra I see him coming back fairly quickly once ready.

I doubt he is throwing much with a hamstring injury. You need your legs to throw. I hope they don't have him throwing "arm only".

And That mentioned it was before the end of July, and knowing how much he reads and listens to podcasts, I'd imagine he is quoting the Brewer's timeline and not his guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSMTZED6TBJ9Q3Q

Here is what I found June 29th counsel said "we've got to get him throwing" and then game action by the break. I assume by game action he meant rehab assignment.

Good find! What I read into that is nothing was set in stone. It was Counsell's best guess at the time.

As far as pitchers we could see...Hader not moving at all in 2017.

Because of the heavy use of the bullpen and Suter and possibly Blazek being used in the rotation, I could see:

Jorge Lopez coming back in the pen

Woodruff getting rehabbed and used in the rotation, especially since he has had a break in his IP count

Espino brought back up

Jungmann brought up as he was pitcher of the month in July and had a low WHIP at AAA

or Wily P could be cut and Houser could be put on the 60-day DL and both AWilkerson (low WHIP at AA) and Wang (solid work at AAA) could be summoned. BDerby is also an option in this regard...

Those are 6+ live arms that could come up...I still think that DS will look for a deal/bargain and try to prepare to cut down on names available to be swiped at the Rule V draft after we do the next 40 man roster. He has to be thinking about that scenario...

Burnes is too young to get his clock started this early, he is too limited with his innings...Melvin would have used him but it would seem desperate.

As far as pitchers we could see...Hader not moving at all in 2017.

Because of the heavy use of the bullpen and Suter and possibly Blazek being used in the rotation, I could see:

Jorge Lopez coming back in the pen

Woodruff getting rehabbed and used in the rotation, especially since he has had a break in his IP count

Espino brought back up

Jungmann brought up as he was pitcher of the month in July and had a low WHIP at AAA

or Wily P could be cut and Houser could be put on the 60-day DL and both AWilkerson (low WHIP at AA) and Wang (solid work at AAA) could be summoned. BDerby is also an option in this regard...

Those are 6+ live arms that could come up...I still think that DS will look for a deal/bargain and try to prepare to cut down on names available to be swiped at the Rule V draft after we do the next 40 man roster. He has to be thinking about that scenario...

Burnes is too young to get his clock started this early, he is too limited with his innings...Melvin would have used him but it would seem desperate.

I mentioned him earlier, but don't sleep on angel ventura. He's not on the 40 right now but have a LIVE arm and is handling AAA right now!

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSMTZED6TBJ9Q3Q

Here is what I found June 29th counsel said "we've got to get him throwing" and then game action by the break. I assume by game action he meant rehab assignment.

Good find! What I read into that is nothing was set in stone. It was Counsell's best guess at the time.

I agree, I'm sure we will get an update after the break

• 3 weeks later...

keon broxton. .ops of 1.077 over seven games with colorado springs. small sample size, i know . . . but his bat got hot in his first game, and he's proven that his hot streaks can carry a team for a week or two.

gotta bury the cardinals this week, and keon can help the team do that.

keon broxton. .ops of 1.077 over seven games with colorado springs. small sample size, i know . . . but his bat got hot in his first game, and he's proven that his hot streaks can carry a team for a week or two.

gotta bury the cardinals this week, and keon can help the team do that.

The only two stats I care about when you say Broxton is K% and BB%. Right now those look really good in Colorado. If he can control the strike zone he is a really good player, he just hasn't proven he can control it at a major league level. 38% K vs 8% BB is just not going to work.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dubon for a stint this season...maybe he can man 2nd with Sogard and get more production than what Villar brings...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived