Brewer Fanatic

de Grom

Anyone else totally underwhelmed by the supposedly #1 or #2 type pitchers on the market?

I would think DS is not going to give away too much for a #3 starter in Gray, dude from Sox, or a number of other names out there.... nor should we.

A dominant #1 from the Mets could go a long way for us on the mound and almost as important, in our team and fans' expectations and mindset for the future. de Grom could help us for 3 and a half years. We would have to part with a bunch, but we are in a position to acquire top line rotation talent. They do not grow on trees. I'm ok with parting with big young talent, but only to get it at the top of the rotation.

The great thing is that our organization depth is so deep now because of unexpectedly good/great years at the MLB level for many controllable players. This isn't trade the farm for CC or Greinke.... more like trading a few acres and a herd of cattle.

Would Davies, Hader, and Brinson get it done? I'd float it out there. If the Mets are hoping to compete next year, this isn't going to happen. If they are looking to regroup, maybe they would like to get a young haul in return.

If not a match, Cole from Pittsvpburgh for a little less?

By the way, How much more fun is it when we are competing for playoffs? Oodles.

I want the legit #1 that we can put at the top of the rotation, the guy with 96 mph heaters and nasty off speed stuff for 7 innings.

If they would throw in a good, controllable reliever, and a couple lottery picks in low A, I would do that deal. We have OF depth. We still would have pitching depth headlined with Woodruff.

I'm sure the Mets would ask for that because they probably the worst trading partner ever, but I don't believe we can give up Santana during a run like this, especially the way he is hitting. Phillips, Ray, Hader, Ortiz I would do for DeGrom and a reliever.

I actually like this idea. We have the talent to give up and if we get the so called TOR arm, we should do it. I would actually rather give up someone besides Ortiz and give up another bat instead, but I'd be interested what the Mets and DS for that matter would think about that deal.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

No he isn't.

They would probably offer Wheeler and then back out at the last minute.

I wonder if the Mets players mess with Wilmer Flores every July and tell him he's been traded to the Brewers again?

Maybe see if he will start crying and stuff...

Is DeGrom even available?

He wouldn't be if I was running the Mets. The Mets are having a bad season, but with the starting pitching they have, and with what the Nats are likely to be losing in the next couple years I can't fathom why they'd want to part with what could become the best rotation in baseball..or at least one of them. Especially while they're cheap and controllable for a while. And I don't even know if the Brewers have the prospects to get this done. They certainly have the depth, but they don't have that top 5 can't miss type prospect that I would expect a team to require in a deal like this. I would think they would want a guy like Arcia plus a whole lot more back if they're gonna trade away a guy like Jacob deGrom.

Fun to think about though. deGrom/Nelson/Anderson/Guerra.

I want the legit #1 that we can put at the top of the rotation, the guy with 96 mph heaters and nasty off speed stuff for 7 innings.

If they would throw in a good, controllable reliever, and a couple lottery picks in low A, I would do that deal. We have OF depth. We still would have pitching depth headlined with Woodruff.

You are underrating Quintana. Quintana is a career 21.4 WAR pitcher in 6 seasons. deGrom is a career 13.9 WAR pitcher in 4 seasons. Right now Nelson is a legit #1, Quintana is #1 on half the teams in baseball and Anderson this year is a solid #2.

Hard to call Nelson a legit #1 starter.

Dude didn't even have a rotation spot coming into the year and fans would have been fine DFAing him at the beginning of this season.

Yes he's had a nice run here but let's not get crazy

Wily Peralta had a similar nice stretch last September. I guess he's a legit #1 too?

Nelson would be a decent #3-4 starter on a playoff caliber baseball team.

Hard to call Nelson a legit #1 starter.

Dude didn't even have a rotation spot coming into the year and fans would have been fine DFAing him at the beginning of this season.

Yes he's had a nice run here but let's not get crazy

Wily Peralta had a similar nice stretch last September. I guess he's a legit #1 too?

Nelson would be a decent #3-4 starter on a playoff caliber baseball team.

So Randy Wolf? I think he's better than a four on a playoff team.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• 5 months later...
Still like the idea of going big for a Mets starter- de Grom tops the list. Would de Grom for Knebel and Brinson get it done?

If the Mets trade deGrom they’re starting over and I don’t think Knebel interests them. Probably would need to add just a little bit more.

If anyone thinks Stearns is trading for a big time #1 pitcher your off your rocker. Stearns is all about value. Hader is going nowhere. I can easily see Hader turn into DeGrom 2.0.

Just sit back and watch the el cheapo pitching staff do it's thing.

• 3 weeks later...
AL team might be on the radar, but you can't eliminate an NL team because someone says it is an AL team. There could be other talks on the table besides the AL team he mentioned. Things are fluid at all times when it comes to Stearns...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

AL team might be on the radar, but you can't eliminate an NL team because someone says it is an AL team. There could be other talks on the table besides the AL team he mentioned. Things are fluid at all times when it comes to Stearns...

True, but I'm going to go ahead and place my faith in HH19 at this point. He made no bones about it being an AL team. The guy is batting a thousand

True, but I'm going to go ahead and place my faith in HH19 at this point. He made no bones about it being an AL team. The guy is batting a thousand

He also said there is a 2nd trade other than the one he mentioned that was an AL team...

;)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That is true. Right now, I'm hoping for Stroman, but Archer, Salazar, Manea, Odorizzi are possibilities. Or if they deal Santana for prospects, that opens up teams like the Red Sox. Who knows? Fun time to be a Brewer fan right now.

That is true. Right now, I'm hoping for Stroman, but Archer, Salazar, Manea, Odorizzi are possibilities. Or if they deal Santana for prospects, that opens up teams like the Red Sox. Who knows? Fun time to be a Brewer fan right now.

Don't forget Fullmer

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

I believe him, been spot on so far. But he could be 100% correct that that's the plan, and it still ending up with an NL team coming in late with a better offer.

Archived