Brewer Fanatic

August 1st Starting Rotation Predictions

With this morning's report that the Brewers are preparing for the possibility of adding a Quintana/Gray-type starting pitcher, what do you foresee the starting rotation looking like after the trade deadline? All the guys in the rotation are either doing well/holding their own or are expected to be better than they have been, so who's out and who takes their place?

I could see them doing pretty much nothing and keeping a rotation of Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Guerra, Garza, but I'll take a crack at something more interesting:

- Trade Ray, Ortiz, Phillips, + nugget for Quintana

- Garza continues to pitch well and they flip him for a bullpen arm (not closer, not setup, but "Barnes"/3rd guy up type)

- Send Guerra down to the minors to get straightened out

- Anderson and Woodruff come back from the DL

August 1st rotation: Quintana, Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff

I think we trade less and get Sonny Gray. Oakland seems to like to trade mid season more than most teams so I expect it is easier to get a deal done. The White Sox tend to hold out a lot more so I think Quintana goes for way more than he should.

Gray, Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Garza

ROTATION

TOR Trade Acquisition- cost controlled for multiple years

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Garza

We end up holding on to Garza- he pitches averagely for us down the stretch and are able to trade him in the offseason. Guerra is moved to the bullpen after we acquire our TOR and becomes dominant and helps shore up the bullpen negating the need to acquire high cost relief help.

BULLPEN

Knebel

Barnes

Guerra

Hader

Hughes

Woodruff

Blazek

Peralta- is given one last shot after DL stint and rewards the Brewers by not allowing a run the rest of the season. why not? lol

apologies to Drake, Suter, T-Will, Lopez, Wang, Jungmann

Nelson

Anderson

Garza

Davies

Suter

Think we stand pat. Will give Suter the edge as the current spot holder and to try to stick a lefty in, though Jungmann and Blazek might have a shot. One or two adds via trade will be bullpen arms. Woodruff's missed time will set him back a bit. Guerra winds up on the DL or in AAA.

Nelson, Davies, Quintana, Garza and Woodruff.

Anderson gets back in mid August replacing Garza or Woodruff.

Brewers deal Hader, Broxton, and Ray for Quintana. Brinson is in CF. Suter returns to pen to occupy Hader's current role.

Don't know how you can take Davies out of the rotation. Yeah, his ERA is high, but he's a 10 game winner, undefeated on the road and the team is 12-6 in his starts and his 3-0 with a 2.84 ERA in his last 3 starts.

I'm hoping they don't go for a starter. You have to give up too much to get starters mid-season, and that's just for a rental. Getting a guy for multiple years will cost even more. I think any deal that happens will include Ray, and in the end he should be the highest prospect they include. Brinson, Phillips should not be touched. With that said, I know prospects are just that: prospects(Matt LaPorta/Mat Gamel). I think they need to get a bullpen arm that will shorten up the game for the starters. Don't upset team chemistry and not give up the future.

Nelson, Suter, Davies, Anderson, Garza

Clancy, have to hand it to you. Suter is looking like the second coming of Mark Beuhrle. If he keeps that up, he'll have a spot. But they'll still trade for Quintana, and say thanks to Garza as he's dispatched.

Clancy, have to hand it to you. Suter is looking like the second coming of Mark Beuhrle. If he keeps that up, he'll have a spot. But they'll still trade for Quintana, and say thanks to Garza as he's dispatched.

I'm worried that they will overpay for Quintana and/or Gray.

Garza is valuable as a #5. He's not going anywhere.

Garza is valuable as a #5. He's not going anywhere.

Could Woodruff be a cheaper option?

With the injuries to Anderson and Woodruff, plus not knowing about Guerra things are tough to predict. Suter also throws another wrench into the predictions.

Nelson

Anderson

Garza

Woodruff (possibly a week or two later depending on injury but I think he'll end up sticking)

Davies

Guerra has a 7.15 FiP. He won't be a starter on a team trying to make the playoffs.

Well if starting his next start he doesn't walk the house anymore you can just throw out everything he did before that start. He looks like a pitcher who got hurt, came back and just hasn't found his mechanics yet. When they come it could just be an instant switch that turns things around.

He is a hard one to read since his season last year looked like a viable MLB pitcher but also included that super flukey looking ERA.

• 2 weeks later...

31 july is an off day. michael blazek moves back the bullpen after today's start.

1 august: jimmy nelson

2 august: taylor jungmann (a reliever out of options is designated for assignment)

3 august: brent suter

4 august: brandon woodruff (will have spent 10 days optioned, junior guerra is optioned, moved to the bullpen or placed on the disabled list)

5 august: zach davies

31 july is an off day. michael blazek moves back the bullpen after today's start.

1 august: jimmy nelson

2 august: taylor jungmann (a reliever out of options is designated for assignment)

3 august: brent suter

4 august: brandon woodruff (will have spent 10 days optioned, junior guerra is optioned, moved to the bullpen or placed on the disabled list)

5 august: zach davies

Matt Garza said he only plans on missing one start, so for now I'd bet on him returning to the rotation over Woodruff (who needs to get his pitch count up and his control back before playing in meaningful games down the stretch).

1 august: nelson

2 august: suter

3 august: gurerra

4 august: davies

5 august: garza

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived