Brewer Fanatic

Brewers prepared to buy, doing background work on Gray and Quintana

I just don't think that Fulmer or Manaea are going to be made available.

How do you guys value Marcus Stroman?

He's controlled thru 2020. (ARB Eligible)

I also think the Blue Jays would have to be blown away to move him, but I think it's more likely than those other two.

Pass on Stroman, cost high in terms of prospects we would have to give up and serious durability concerns based on his frame.

Frame has nothing to do with durability. If Stroman is available, I'd make a significant offer to get him as I think he's at least on par with Quintana. Tom Gordon had a similar frame and how long was his career?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rosenthal's report is correct, then the Brewers REALLY WERE in on a potential Quintana deal.

I think this is a sign that Stearns is willing (and looking) to make a big trade this month.

I just don't think that Fulmer or Manaea are going to be made available.

How do you guys value Marcus Stroman?

He's controlled thru 2020. (ARB Eligible)

I also think the Blue Jays would have to be blown away to move him, but I think it's more likely than those other two.

Pass on Stroman, cost high in terms of prospects we would have to give up and serious durability concerns based on his frame.

Frame has nothing to do with durability. If Stroman is available, I'd make a significant offer to get him as I think he's at least on par with Quintana. Tom Gordon had a similar frame and how long was his career?

Disagree, look at Lincecum. 5 years and then done.

Also Gordon was a reliever after 1996 when 8 years into career he flamed out as a starter.

David Cameron stated the prevailing theory about durability in an article in Baseball Prospectus: “There is validity to the belief that shorter pitchers have a smaller margin for error. In order to generate the same power as a pitcher with more natural strength, they can tend to put more pressure on their arms, thus leading to poor mechanics and eventual injuries."

I love Stroman and would be all about giving up significant assets to acquire him. Cost-controlled starting pitching with that kind of talent doesn't come around very often and I am far less concerned about his frame then I am about wasting our potential prospect trade chips on lesser starters like Gray or someone of that ilk.

If Rosenthal's report is correct, then the Brewers REALLY WERE in on a potential Quintana deal.

I think this is a sign that Stearns is willing (and looking) to make a big trade this month.

When did he say that. Jon Morosi mentioned that at some stage they were talking, but nothing hinting that it got all that serious. I think David Stearns is more than willing to move major prospects if it gets him a good controllable player, but I doubt Brinson gets moved which might limit options.

Why do I have this feeling that if Stearns does something, it's going to be something no one saw coming?? Like acquiring a Pitcher no one even thought was available.

I'd have ZERO issues trading Brinson if it were for a guy like Chris Archer for example.

Why do I have this feeling that if Stearns does something, it's going to be something no one saw coming?? Like acquiring a Pitcher no one even thought was available.

I'd have ZERO issues trading Brinson if it were for a guy like Chris Archer for example.

Seems to be how all Stearns moves are

A totally out of the blue move would be renting Darvish as Stearns has basically said he's looking for guys who will be around past this year. Cueto would be a very interesting move as well.

Please no to Cueto. He's got a 4.73 FIP and leverage on his contract. Either he opts out and we pay for a rental or he doesn't and we're on the hook for a 31 year old at 21M per year through 2021. Neither is a good outcome.

A totally out of the blue move would be renting Darvish as Stearns has basically said he's looking for guys who will be around past this year. Cueto would be a very interesting move as well.

Or maybe he'll switch his focus to Verlander which was my geuss. Detroit wants to cut some salary so might not take Brinson to get the deal done. Maybe Detroit would add RP in on the trade. May need to better prospects if would be for Verlander and a good BP arm.

Maybe something like: Crew trades Phillips, Ray or Clark, Medeiros, Freddy Peralta could get it done. With Detroit pay "X" amount of Verlander's remaining contract. Just a thought. I'm not as high on Ray as some fans are. Obviously only person who knows for certain is Stearns himself. If anyone feels the Crew's offer would need to be more/less, feel free to respond.

By the way, I would be all for Stearns trading for Stroman or Archer if that would end up being what he could get to happen.

So the Rangers may make Darvish and Hamels available. Also the Pirates are making Gerrit Cole available.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241960628/trade-deadlines-buyers-for-pitchers/

I don't think the Brewers and the Pirates match up all that well for a trade more so on the Pirates side as all of the prospects we have the Pirates already have some that are as good or better.

Now the Rangers could be a good place to go. I would take Hamels over Darvish as I think Hamels will cost less in terms of premium prospects. I think the Brewers could get Hamels for something like Ponce, Medeiros, and Demi. With the contract and how Hamels has pitched so far this year it shouldn't take all that much to get him.

Ponce, Medeiros and Demi don't get anywhere close to Hamels. Come on guys, we're going to need to give up at minimum one of Brinson or Hader if we want an ace under control. That's like not even negotiable.

Ponce, Medeiros and Demi don't get anywhere close to Hamels. Come on guys, we're going to need to give up at minimum one of Brinson or Hader if we want an ace under control. That's like not even negotiable.

Have you looked at Hamels stats recently? Ace he is not anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Have you looked at Hamels stats recently? Ace he is not anymore.

Hamels is interesting.

He threw 200+ innings last year. 5.0 bWAR. 3.0 fWAR. He's thrown 200+ innings for seven years running. That won't happen this year, however, due to an oblique injury. But he's back, and his last couple of starts he has been great (14.1 IP, 2ER, 2BB, 12K). He's consistently been a very good pitcher - and at 33 I doubt he'll ever be great again.

I'm not saying to trade for the guy - but he's only under contract through next year (although his 2019 season could vest) - so the monetary demands aren't huge.

Financial flexibility gives us the opportunity to take on some salary. Again, not saying it should be Hamels - but it is an option.

I am always wary of aging pitchers. That sort of investment rarely pays off.

NOTE: I think Hamels has a full no trade clause - but that's just going from memory.

The only thing that looks different is a ridiculously low strikeout rate over 50 innings. That's not going to drastically effect his value. And even if he's not an ace, he's going to get more than the pile of nothing you're offering.

If Hamels was a Brewer and we were looking to trade him, would you accept Ponce, Medeiros and Orimoloye for him? My guess is you wouldn't.

Do they even have a package of minor leaguers that would be acceptable? I think they would have to throw in either Schwarber or Happ at this point, which would be fine with me. Have them sell off their future for two #3 starters (maybe #2) I guess.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Schwarber has no business being on a NL team. The question is what value an AL team will put on him. The A's already have Khris Davis, who should be a DH, and Matt Olson who is their LHH 1B/corner OF prospect. I just don't know how much value Schwarber will have to the A's.

Here's a question on Gray. Gotta figure he's going to go for a bit less than Quintana now that the market for him has been set. What if Beane came to us ane said he's willing to work out a deal with us without any of our headline prospects (Brinson, Hader, Woodruff), but said Corbin Burnes was a non negotiable part of any deal with us for Gray. Would you be excited about that, or hesitant?

Schwarber has no business being on a NL team. The question is what value an AL team will put on him. The A's already have Khris Davis, who should be a DH, and Matt Olson who is their LHH 1B/corner OF prospect. I just don't know how much value Schwarber will have to the A's.

Not only that but Schwarber isn't Babe Ruth like he was hyped up to be, so the question is what is a say .250/.360/.480 DH with absolutely no defensive value if you even tried to put him out there worth?

I can't imagine the A's wanting any part of that for Gray. I think at minimum Baez or Happ would need to headline the package.

Hamels isn't an ace anymore, he is damaged and he probably isn't worth his actual contract. Don't be fooled by his ERA last year, the peripherals did not support it at all and he has been awful this season. Trading Hamels is just trying to get out of what is going to be a bad contract.

The only thing that looks different is a ridiculously low strikeout rate over 50 innings. That's not going to drastically effect his value. And even if he's not an ace, he's going to get more than the pile of nothing you're offering.

If Hamels was a Brewer and we were looking to trade him, would you accept Ponce, Medeiros and Orimoloye for him? My guess is you wouldn't.

If Hamels was a Brewer yes I would accept that trade for him if we were not taking on any of his contract. Hamels value is rather low with his contract and his performance so far this year and last year. I would still take him because if the Brewers take on all of Hamels contract they won't have to give up a big time prospect for him. If the Rangers take on some of Hamels contract then yeah that is not enough.

Archived