Brewer Fanatic

Brewers prepared to buy, doing background work on Gray and Quintana

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/white-sox-maintain-high-asking-price-on-quintana.html?fv-home=true&post-id=96921

According to this report the White Sox are still looking for "two very top prospects" for Quintana. Would Hader and Ray be considered "very top prospects"? I think both would be ideal pieces to give up for Quintana as we have a plethora of guys who can play the same positions as Ray and I really question whether Hader has the control to ultimately be a starter. Add another prospect or two and I think it'd be a good get.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/white-sox-maintain-high-asking-price-on-quintana.html?fv-home=true&post-id=96921

According to this report the White Sox are still looking for "two very top prospects" for Quintana. Would Hader and Ray be considered "very top prospects"? I think both would be ideal pieces to give up for Quintana as we have a plethora of guys who can play the same positions as Ray and I really question whether Hader has the control to ultimately be a starter. Add another prospect or two and I think it'd be a good get.

No, that would be Hader and Brinson.

Jose Quintana deserves a Brinson/Hader...but I wouldn't personally do it in the Brewers current position. Tempting with all the control, but I would hate to lose Brinson. Now Hader/Ray or Woodruff/Ray or Ortiz/Ray would be a little more interesting to headline a deal. I'd even consider packaging two of the pitchers if you are a believer in Burnes.

However I think the White Sox can find a better partner and get more.

I actually think Hader is a more valuable prospect to the organization than Brinson.

And I say this even is he doesn't stick in the rotation.

I don't think he'll reach his Chris Sale-like ceiling, but I do think he'll either be a solid #3-type starter or a Andrew Miller-lite type, multi-inning back end reliever.

Stearns could replace a 20hr/20sb type OF like Brinson with the Keon Broxton-type hidden gems he seems to be able acquire via trade.

Ortiz really worries me. He seems fragile. Of our top pitching prospects, he's by far the guy I'd be most comfortable trading.

Someone made a good point above that teams seem to value present performance in trading for prospects. If that's right, then this isn't the time to trade Ray. People who are optimistic about him say he's a lot better than his stats, but he hasn't proved anything. I think trading him now would be selling low.

The top OF I'd be most comfortable trading is Phillips. He's smack in the middle of our OF logjam, and he's putting up good numbers this year. Obviously everyone knows PCL hitting stats are inflated, but again, present stats seem to matter.

If we can't get what we want for a package built around Ortiz and Phillips, I'd be inclined to stand pat. The thing about this year's Brewers is that we lack glaring weaknesses. Even the middle relief has been coming around. We don't have any superstars, but we have solid performers just about everywhere. Adding another rotation arm would be great, but given the likely price, I'm okay rolling with Davies, Garza, and Suter.

Anyway, I have a lot of faith in this team's talent evaluations. I think they have a good sense of how much of an upgrade Gray would be over our bottom-of-rotation guys. Also, as somebody said above, we'll use every bit of the next 20 days to figure out our playoff odds.

Does Cooper have any trade value? Admittedly, I don't know much about him but he seems blocked for the foreseeable future at 1B (can he play anywhere else?) and he's putting up monster numbers in AAA. If stats really matter, would seem like a very prime sell high type of candidate.

I actually think Hader is a more valuable prospect to the organization than Brinson.

And I say this even is he doesn't stick in the rotation.

I don't think he'll reach his Chris Sale-like ceiling, but I do think he'll either be a solid #3-type starter or a Andrew Miller-lite type, multi-inning back end reliever.

Stearns could replace a 20hr/20sb type OF like Brinson with the Keon Broxton-type hidden gems he seems to be able acquire via trade.

Agree on Hader being more valuable than Brinson. I do think Hader's role will be in the bullpen. I don't want to give up Hader, but you have to give to get and I think it'll take Hader included to get Quintana, and I think 3.5 years of Quintana is worth giving up Hader for. I wouldn't include Hader, or Woodruff for that matter, in any trade for Gray.

Considering we have a logjam of talented OF prospects, the organization can afford to give up Brinson, even if he does becomes a reliable MLB starter, which I think is reasonably doubtful.

Of the position players in the system, the only players I wouldn't want to trade are Mauricio Dubon and Keston Hiura

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

FYI, since Keston Hiura was just drafted in June, he's not eligible to be traded until after the World Series.

I'm curious on your thoughts on why Mauricio Dubon would be too valuable to trade?

Seems like Brewers have plenty of MI depth.

We have a farm system full of prospects, for exactly this purpose, of trading them for established players. You know the Cubs and Cardinals don't take the Brewers seriously and are going to make some major moves. We are playing shockingly well, and have a healthy lead at the break while the rest of the division is having a down year, if this isn't the time to "go for it", when is? Quintana is going to take a lot, but short of deGrom, Archer or Stroman, he's the best option out there.

Ray, Ortiz, Isan Diaz, and Gatewood for Quintana. Maybe that gets it done, maybe not, but we'd be foolish to not ask.

I think I'd be willing to give up Ray/Hader for Quintana, but Brinson would be untouchable for me. Everything about that guy screams perennial All Star to me. He is a guy who has shown throughout his minor league career that he is capable of making the necessary adjustments to succeed.

I'm not wild about trading Hader, but at least with Quintana we'd be getting back a lefty. Maybe with Woodruff, Barnes, and Ortiz at AAA or in the big leagues next year, our upper minors pitching depth is good enough that we can afford to part with Hader, but I would hate to look back on this trade and really regret letting a future ace go (not saying that's going to happen, but it's certainly possible).

Does Cooper have any trade value? Admittedly, I don't know much about him but he seems blocked for the foreseeable future at 1B (can he play anywhere else?) and he's putting up monster numbers in AAA. If stats really matter, would seem like a very prime sell high type of candidate.

He does not. He SHOULD, but he does not. This is a good example of market inefficiency, a guy like Aguilar who was blocked but has value. Not saying Cooper is Aguilar, but he fits the mold of a guy who can hit and have positive WAR for someone and cost very little for multiple years.

FYI, since Keston Hiura was just drafted in June, he's not eligible to be traded until after the World Series.

I'm curious on your thoughts on why Mauricio Dubon would be too valuable to trade?

Seems like Brewers have plenty of MI depth.

Where is the quality MI depth? Diaz has had a disastrous A+ season, although he has been heating up in his last 10 games. I have heard differing reports about his defensive abilities.

Hiura could be up to MLB as soon as 2019 and if he plays 2B he makes Diaz very expendable, that is if Diaz develops into a MLB hitter. A big "if" so far, though I recognize Diaz is just 21

Dubon looks ready for MLB right now. He is a tremendous defensive player who can play 5-6 positions. He is somewhat like Hernan Perez except he gets on base and is much much better than Perez at SS. The value with him is tremendous. He is the only player in the system I'd trust at SS if Arcia went down for a long time due to injury. He is the definition of the athletic, versatile, controllable young talent that Stearns values.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think I'd be willing to give up Ray/Hader for Quintana, but Brinson would be untouchable for me. Everything about that guy screams perennial All Star to me. He is a guy who has shown throughout his minor league career that he is capable of making the necessary adjustments to succeed.

I would be thrilled to be wrong (if the Brewers keep him and he turns into a perennial All-Star) but man oh man I'm just not seeing that. His Away batting average is .265 in AAA ball. He is raking in Colorado Springs but even Ivan Dejesus Jr rakes in Colorado Springs! I haven't seen enough of Brinson to say for sure but he looks like a below average defensive CF in MLB to me. Maybe average. Above average defensive corner outfielder. He lost a bet in the Futures Game which required him to play all 9 innings. I could be reading too much into that, but really???! You wanted to come out of the game? I don't know, he seems like an athletically talented AAAA bust to me. Warning, warning Will Robinson. Trade him now when his value is high

I think the Pirates are a bad team. They had a good short run when McCutchen was killing the ball but that will fade and they are just left with a bunch of mediocrity. The Cubs are still the big threat.

I think the Pirates are a bad team. They had a good short run when McCutchen was killing the ball but that will fade and they are just left with a bunch of mediocrity. The Cubs are still the big threat.

I'm a bit more bullish than some on them. Polanco might be finally getting it going, Marte is back in a few days, Bell is good enough, and their pitching staff has been solidifying all around. The bullpen is not as much of a disaster as it was earlier this year and Taillon, Nova, Cole is good. I think that Kuhl and Williams are decent enough.

I wouldn't bet on them to get anywhere near the Brewers but the team doesn't seem that much different than the 98 win team of 2 years ago.

This team is on track to be the next Houston. One sure way to blow up that trajectory? Trade 3 top prospects for a good, not great, LHP.

Houston is an interesting comparison. They traded Hader, Phillips, Santana, and Houser for Gomez and a good but not great starting pitcher in Fiers. Didn't slow down that train.

This team is on track to be the next Houston. One sure way to blow up that trajectory? Trade 3 top prospects for a good, not great, LHP.

Houston is an interesting comparison. They traded Hader, Phillips, Santana, and Houser for Gomez and a good but not great starting pitcher in Fiers. Didn't slow down that train.

Houston was at where we will likely be next year with a 40 man roster crunch. They couldn't keep all their minor leaguers on the 40 and away from the rule 5 draft and cashed them into MLB assets. Its the cycle teams have to deal with after acquiring so many prospects.

I'd be more inclined for a Michael Fulmer or Sean Manaea trade versus a Quintana/Gray trade.

Houston was at where we will likely be next year with a 40 man roster crunch. They couldn't keep all their minor leaguers on the 40 and away from the rule 5 draft and cashed them into MLB assets. Its the cycle teams have to deal with after acquiring so many prospects.

I'd be more inclined for a Michael Fulmer or Sean Manaea trade versus a Quintana/Gray trade.

I just don't think that Fulmer or Manaea are going to be made available.

How do you guys value Marcus Stroman?

He's controlled thru 2020. (ARB Eligible)

I also think the Blue Jays would have to be blown away to move him, but I think it's more likely than those other two.

Marcus Stroman is awesome. I would be thrilled if the Brewers traded for him. I'd be surprised if the Blue Jays were dumb enough to trade him unless absolutely blown away by the offer. Something like Brinson + Dubon + Hader and man oh man that is a lot to give up for one pitcher.

I just don't think that Fulmer or Manaea are going to be made available.

How do you guys value Marcus Stroman?

He's controlled thru 2020. (ARB Eligible)

I also think the Blue Jays would have to be blown away to move him, but I think it's more likely than those other two.

Pass on Stroman, cost high in terms of prospects we would have to give up and serious durability concerns based on his frame.

Archived