Brewer Fanatic

Brewers prepared to buy, doing background work on Gray and Quintana

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 5m5 minutes ago

Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

When all is said and done, I think the guy the Brewers end up with is Edinson Volquez. He won't cost a ton in prospects, has another year on his deal that's not extreme, and provides postseason experience. My guess is Brewers patience with Guerra is limited. If the White Sox think they'll get close to Sale return for Quintana, then they'll be stuck with him for a while. If they relent, he's the guy to go after. Could Hader be the key piece?

Sonny Gray will cost less than Quintana and is actually the better pitcher. Mark my words. lol

I think we could land him without parting with Hader or Brinson even.

I think we could get Sonny for a package headlined by OF Corey Ray.

Plus 2 or 3 of these guys:

OF Trent Clark

OF Brett Philips

OF Ryan Cordell

OF Monte Harrison

SS Mauricio Dubon

2B Isan Diaz

RHP Brandon Woodruff

RHP Marcos Diplan

RHP Cody Ponce

RHP Freddy Peralta

That means we land a controlable high end SP without giving up Brinson, Hader, Ortiz or Erceg.

Side note: Edison Volquez is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. Hope the Brewers pass on him.

Broxton, Ray, Peralta and Feliciano for Quintana.

thoughts ??

That would get their attention but probably not be enough.

Plus I doubt the Brewers would be willing to trade Broxton during the season. Maybe put Trent Clark, Monte Harrison or Brett Phillips in the deal in his place. Still think it would take more for Quintana.

Pump the brakes. Don't get too excited by these click bait stories, there will be many more to come. We don't even know if it's true. Are the Brewers looking into all options though? Probably, yes. Why wouldn't they? Stearns always has and always will be looking at any options that are out there to help the team short term and long term. But that's a far cry from trying hard to get a deal done for one of those guys.

Given the White Sox history they are going to want full price for Quintana even with his bad season. I wouldn't want to pay what it is going to take. Gray makes a more interesting target and should be much cheaper considering he was bad last year and hurt part of this year.

We have to hope the Twins keep losing so Santana goes on the market. I don't want Santana but another name available lowers the price on everyone a little.

Baseball is such a weird game. There was not a scenario in the world that I thought we would be looking to buy at the deadline in 2017 … and yet here we are. Our offense can score on anyone. We have a top 10 closer, a surprisingly deep bench, and a bullpen that, while troubling, can plausibly be fixed internally. Chase seems steady (if healthy), Nelson is suddenly an ace, and Garza is avoiding enough bats to be more than useful.

It isn’t too far-fetched to think we are one starter away from having the squad to make a run.

Instead of Volquez, I wonder if the Marlins would be willing to trade Dan Straily instead? He's controlled through 2020 and I'm sure they already regret trading RHP Luis Castillo to the Reds for him. I'd be willing to trade a player like Brett Phillips for him, certainly.

I'm all in for Quintana, he helps for the rebuild with 4 years of control. a chance to get a 2 or 3 controlled for 4 years at cheap money, you absolutely go get him. (Brinson nearly untouchable), everyone else available.

I think it will take Hader and Ray and a lesser piece to get Quintana. Maybe they'd take Phillips instead of Ray. So far the arms the Sox got in the Sale and Eaton deals have been disappointing. Could the Brewers be making sure Hader is healthy knowing he's their ticket to a deal for a starter with control? His sudden move to the pen and light workload with the Brewers is mysterious. Don Cooper helped Sale become a star for Sox and Hader has similar delivery. I'd much prefer Quintana over Gray. He's a lefty and been more durable.

If I'm the Brewers, I'd be willing to move Hader and Ray for a frontline starter with a few years of control left. They are relatively deep prospect wise at questionable starter and CF and both of these guys are right on the bubble of seeing their stars fade. This might be the end of peak value until they have a second breakout. It's probably the best possible time to move them. If you combined them both with someone like Broxton or Villar to get Quintana or Gray, then you've appeared to give up a ton, but probably haven't long term. Ray is starting to remind me of Marquis Grissom. Good, but never living up to superstar projections.

"If I'm the Brewers, I'd be willing to move Hader and Ray for a frontline starter with a few years of control left"

I agree. Hader screams bullpen to me and Ray, who was supposed to be this big time advanced college hitter is struggling in A ball. I wouldn't mind seeing them traded before their prospect rankings start taking a big hit. Brinson is our future in CF and Santana looks like a keeper as well. That means we just have to fill LF and we still have Braun Phillips Clark Harrison and Cordell to take care that. I think Hader could be an effective reliever but if you can get a 2 or 3 with years of control then you do it. I'd Center a Quintana package around those two and hope two more mid level prospects can get it done.

I don't necessarily believe the Brewers should be looking for a big name starter though. I think they should work on getting two solid bullpen arms and be done with it.

Instead of Volquez, I wonder if the Marlins would be willing to trade Dan Straily instead? He's controlled through 2020 and I'm sure they already regret trading RHP Luis Castillo to the Reds for him. I'd be willing to trade a player like Brett Phillips for him, certainly.

I'm not sure how much the Marlins will need OFers, for whatever that's worth. Yelich may be having a down year but they've got 2 guaranteed OF for the next 5+ years and I'm sure they've got something in the system if Yelich isn't the 3rd.

I'm not sure how much the Marlins will need OFers, for whatever that's worth. Yelich may be having a down year but they've got 2 guaranteed OF for the next 5+ years and I'm sure they've got something in the system if Yelich isn't the 3rd.

They probably want to trade them too for money reasons...at least that is what was reported months ago.

With Ray no longer considered a top 100 prospect by BA, he becomes a throw-in on trading for Quintana. Brinson, Ortiz, and Ray with a 4th is my guess as Hader is helping the team in the bullpen, and Woodruff is ready to help in the rotation. These 3 aren't helping this year's team so they are expendable.

With Ray no longer considered a top 100 prospect by BA, he becomes a throw-in on trading for Quintana. Brinson, Ortiz, and Ray with a 4th is my guess as Hader is helping the team in the bullpen, and Woodruff is ready to help in the rotation. These 3 aren't helping this year's team so they are expendable.

Ahh I see, I forgot all baseball officials follow Baseball America like sheep.

I think you may have misunderstood every David Stearns’ quote/interview/memoir over the last 18 months…

Archived