Brewer Fanatic

Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

I don't know if that is Law and his "love" for the Brewers or reality but that is one sad state of affairs. Only Brinson and Burnes are up there. Maybe Hader is off because he is in the majors?

Clark, Ray, and Diaz have all been major disappointments. Yes there are excuses I suppose but Tim Tebow is at 972 in high A and he hasn't picked up a bat since HS and had another job in between if I recall.

Can you define for me what is not a "major" disappointment? If a 20% walk rate and a 125 wRC+ as a 20 year old in the leagues most pitcher friendly park (while stealing 23 of 26) is a "major" disappointment, Im not what will make you happy. Im glad Im not your son. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if that is Law and his "love" for the Brewers or reality but that is one sad state of affairs. Only Brinson and Burnes are up there. Maybe Hader is off because he is in the majors?

Clark, Ray, and Diaz have all been major disappointments. Yes there are excuses I suppose but Tim Tebow is at 972 in high A and he hasn't picked up a bat since HS and had another job in between if I recall.

Can you define for me what is not a "major" disappointment? If a 20% walk rate and a 125 wRC+ as a 20 year old in the leagues most pitcher friendly park (while stealing 23 of 26) is a "major" disappointment, Im not what will make you happy. Im glad Im not your son. :)

But, but, but his batting average is low.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've seen Burnes pitch a couple times when he was at A+. The second time the gun in the stadium was showing velo that high but I talked to a scout who was clocking pitches and said the gun (EDIT: at the stadium) was 3/4 MPH high.

That was more my fear. The stadium guns always seem to run hot.

This. If you spend just a few seconds looking beyond batting average, Trent Clark is put together a very impressive season.

Clark was the 12th pick in the draft and fell out of the top 100 by mid 2017. No, he is most certainly not having an impressive season.

I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases. But he isn't driving the ball as seen in his sub 400 slugging. Walks are very nice but major league pitchers aren't going to let him do that until he proves he can hurt them.

Right now it would be difficult to see him playing in the Majors and that's why you draft a guy in the first round.

Clark was the 12th pick in the draft and fell out of the top 100 by mid 2017. No, he is most certainly not having an impressive season.

I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases. But he isn't driving the ball as seen in his sub 400 slugging. Walks are very nice but major league pitchers aren't going to let him do that until he proves he can hurt them.

Right now it would be difficult to see him playing in the Majors and that's why you draft a guy in the first round.

So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Truthfully Clark's probably still had the fourth or fifth best season of any of that class' prep bats (at least those chosen in the first two rounds; I didn't dig any deeper). Yes, he hasn't hit the way Rodgers, Tucker and Mountcastle have, but two of those guys were top 5 picks. If you look at the previous year, Clark's numbers are probably more impressive than any of the prep bats in their second seasons.

And a large part of the reason for the sub-.400 slugging is the low batting average. His ISO is actually the same as Josh Naylor, who was picked three picks earlier as a power-hitting first baseman, posted in the generally more hitter-friendly California League, and that helped earn him a promotion.

If he can bring the batting average up as he gains more pro experience and continues to build up a little more pop as he gets older, I could see him developing into a 20 home run version of Nori Aoki's rookie year, and I think that still plays in the big leagues. I'm not saying he's a sure-fire prospect by any means, but I don't think you can really classify him as a lost cause or even much of a disappointment at this stage either.

I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases.

What's wrong with the golf grip? JJ Hardy has had a nice career with the golf grip.

This. If you spend just a few seconds looking beyond batting average, Trent Clark is put together a very impressive season.

I would say that Clark arguably has the best OBP skills in the system (Michael Reed is probably his best competitor in that regard as well - he's leading Biloxi with 35 walks - the next closest was Dubron with 25 in 99 more PAs).

So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?

Because the Mets and the media is trying to cash in on Non-Baseball fans caring about non-news about Tebow.

This is one of the stupidest articles I may have ever read.

I apologize in advance for sharing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tim-tebow-featured-on-the-sal-all-star-game-ballot-and-heres-how-you-can-vote/

It's newsworthy that someone is listed on a Single A All-Star ballot?

Give me a break.

So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?[/

It's newsworthy that someone is listed on a Single A All-Star ballot? *****

It's newsworthy in the same sense that Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, or Deion Sanders was newsworthy. Two-sport athletes are a rare commodity in the professional word so it's interesting.

Tebow is hitting .317/.398/.549/.947 at St. Lucie. Yes, it's a small sample but you have to give him credit. A lot of people took him as a joke but it's not working out that way necessarily.

Community Moderator

The MLB Pipeline Top 100 Midseason List is out. That link is to the story about the list release, but for those that just want to get right to the complete list it is available at this LINK.

Brewers on the list include:

#15 Lewis Brinson

#70 Corey Ray

#83 Luis Ortiz

#96 Brandon Woodruff

#97 Keston Hiura

Hader appears to have graduated off of the list. Here is the updated MLB Pipeline Brewers Top 30 Prospects.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wow, do I count 8 players in the top 30 from this past draft and international signing period? Seems like a lot. Was it that great of a draft/IS period or is it a bit of an indictment of some of the players who have slipped this season?

Community Moderator
The MLB Pipeline Top 100 Midseason List is out. That link is to the story about the list release, but for those that just want to get right to the complete list it is available at this LINK.

Brewers on the list include:

#15 Lewis Brinson

#70 Corey Ray

#83 Luis Ortiz

#96 Brandon Woodruff

#97 Keston Hiura

Hader appears to have graduated off of the list. Here is the updated MLB Pipeline Brewers Top 30 Prospects.

Also notable is that MLB Pipeline updated their Top 10 By Position lists as well. Brewers appearing on those lists included 2B prospects Keston Hiura (#5) and Isan Diaz (#6) as well as Lewis Brinson who was ranked #5 among all OF prospects.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

25) Phil Bickford

The guy smoked weed, he didn’t exactly stick up the Kwik Trip. Also I cannot be convinced that Taylor Williams isn’t a top 30 prospect not that there is anything wrong with Je’von Ward or Larry Ernesto but...

Tebow is hitting .317/.398/.549/.947 at St. Lucie. Yes, it's a small sample but you have to give him credit. A lot of people took him as a joke but it's not working out that way necessarily.

Do we also have to give him credit for the .220/.311/.336 slash line in A ball this year? Not directing this at you specifically WVBrew but why do we go so far out of the way to laud a 30 year old who was failing miserably in A ball (but got promoted any way) as something to behold? No, Tebow is, and will remain, a self aggrandizing joke. If he wasnt getting attention for this, he wouldn't be doing it.

Diaz, Clark, and Nottingham get labled as out right failures but Tebow gets credit? It just makes no sense to me.

25) Phil Bickford

The guy smoked weed, he didn’t exactly stick up the Kwik Trip. Also I cannot be convinced that Taylor Williams isn’t a top 30 prospect not that there is anything wrong with Je’von Ward or Larry Ernesto but...

Agree with all of this. Also, no Burnes in top 100? I also think Gatewood and Nottingham should be 15 & 16 at least.

Out of curiosity, which prospects on our were previously on the MLB top 100 list?

Maverick

Bickford

J Lopez

Nottingham

Clark

Lara?

Kodi right out of the draft?

Tyrone Taylor? He was our #1 at one point, but was he top 100?

Also, Burnes should be in this year's top 100.

Gatewood should be a bit higher.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

That's ridiculously low for Bickford. Can understand why people are down on him but he was still drafted in the top 18 TWICE and his career minor league statistics are as follows: 2.78 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 3.0 BB/9, 10.6 K/9. There are probably only four or five players in the system that has the same upside as Bickford. He should get knocked down because of some of the concerns but behind players like Trey Supak, Jacob Nottingham, Caden Lemons, Kodi Medeiros (and a bunch of others)?

Also think Trent Clark should be a few spots higher. 20 year old in high A that is OBP'ing .374 and further along in the power game than I expected (8 home runs).

On the flip side, I'm really surprised Erceg wasn't the player that took the big tumble. No getting around a .278 OBP, not even great defense and home runs can save a third baseman from making that many outs.

Wow, do I count 8 players in the top 30 from this past draft and international signing period? Seems like a lot.

That actually is pretty common. Usually 8-10 guys get put into the top 100 from the recent draft.

The 8 that dropped off were:

Josh Hader (graduated)

Gilbert Lara

Jorge Lopez

Devin Williams (injured)

Nathan Kirby (injured)

Demi Orimoloye

Chad McClanahan

Michael Reed

The only two on the list that were really disappointing were Lara and Lopez. Last three names were all pretty fringy to begin with and probably just went from being listed just within the top 30 to being listed just outside the top 30 (although "prospect status" may be a term that could be removed from Reed at this point).

Archived