Brewer Fanatic

Sogard DL'd, Rivera recalled, Reed outrighted

And That

Interesting developments.

Guessing it's Rivera because they only plan to have him up for the weekend and he's already on the 40-man and could be optioned back. Also for infield flexibility over the weekend (I wonder if he'll get a start over Villar tomorrow against the lefty?)

If De Jesus was on the 40-man I'm guessing they would've gone with him, but not sure if he'd have options left to send him back down after the weekend.

If it was just for a bat I would've guessed Brinson, but when you've got Perez to play LF when Braun DH's, I guess there's not much point to bringing him up to just sit on the bench.

As for Reed being outrighted with no other move, that seems like 1 of about 3 things:

1. Rivera's only up for the day, and they plan on using that spot for someone over the weekend.

2. There's a trade or waiver claim brewing and they'll need the spot soon.

3. Now seems like a good time to try to pass him through waivers rather than waiting until we need the spot.

I'm going to guess it's #3.

If De Jesus was on the 40-man I'm guessing they would've gone with him, but not sure if he'd have options left to send him back down after the weekend.

he has no minor league options remaining.

Maybe they will do what they did last year and send Davies to the minors before the All Star break.

last year, the brewers optioned davies over the all-star break to give andy wilkins a shot. i'm still thinking this happens again (but not the andy wilkins part).

There was a bit of an uproar over that Davies move last year.

But this year the Brewers are in 1st place. Every game from here on out counts. I think it would be more than justified to do it this year to bring up another bat for a few games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If it was just for a bat I would've guessed Brinson, but when you've got Perez to play LF when Braun DH's, I guess there's not much point to bringing him up to just sit on the bench.

I would've preferred they brought up Brinson and played Perez at 2B.

• 2 weeks later...
sogard went 0-3 and played the first five innings at second base last night for the timber rattlers. he has one more game with the class a team. it's unclear whether he'll continue his rehab at a higher minor league level or if he'll join the brewers in philadelphia and be activated tomorrow.

I bet Scahill gets the axe.

With Braun hurting we'd be really light on outfielders if we sent down Keon.

eric thames can play left. hernan perez can play left. heck, even eric sogard has seen time in left.

as suggested in another thread, i'm sensing it's broxton being optioned, but for less than 20 days to ensure that he doesn't burn his final option.

I bet Scahill gets the axe.

With Braun hurting we'd be really light on outfielders if we sent down Keon.

eric thames can play left. hernan perez can play left. heck, even eric sogard has seen time in left.

as suggested in another thread, i'm sensing it's broxton being optioned, but for less than 20 days to ensure that he doesn't burn his final option.

Yes Thames can stand out in LF but it is brutal to watch him play LF.

A career .642 OPS guy has a lot to live up to to a few of you. Wouldn't shock me if he never regains half of what he produced before being injured.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A career .642 OPS guy has a lot to live up to to a few of you. Wouldn't shock me if he never regains half of what he produced before being injured.

But if he can put the ball in play instead of striking out I'll take his career .642 OPS right about now...

But if he can put the ball in play instead of striking out I'll take his career .642 OPS right about now...

Exactly...sometimes all it takes is putting the ball in play. Pirates proved that in their 4 game sweep.

Sogard back broxton down

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Long time coming for Broxton. I really like him and think he can be a solid MLB'er, but save for a few hot streaks he's been out of it most of this season.

He can't survive striking out almost 40% of the time. I was hoping he would build on last year and at least get it down to like 30 or 31% but it just isn't getting better.

Archived