Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

Ortiz in last year at Double A since trade has really not really impressed me. I know he is young for level but a lot and has been solid but has failed to flash. Right now I'd take Peralta over Ortiz just because he has shined much more.

I guess I may be in minority but I'm not overally connected with Ortiz since he just came last year, there will always be weight & conditioning concerns, and he hasn't looked at good as I hoped so far. If parting with him helps get the deal done without guys like Brinson, Woody, Burns.... I'm fine with it.

Could even try to Package Ortiz & Cordell plus lower guys. Those two were big factors in sending both Lucroy AND Jeffress. Cordell is super blocked. Ortiz carries the prospect weight and name.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't think Gray is worth 3 of our top 10-15 guys. He's too risky. I would have given up a bunch for Quintana, as well as guys like Fulmer, DeGrom, Archer, and Stroman. But not Gray. Is he a difference maker? Is he reliable? Those others I mentioned I believe are difference makers. Gray would be a nice piece and that's all. I'm offering 1 top ten guy and maybe a couple guys in the 20's of our system. No way I give up 3 top ten guys for Sonny Gray.

No way am I giving up our close to,the majors top'pitching prospects.

We gave outfield depth to trade and lower minors pitching prospects but I'm not giving up Woodrupff or Burnes.

If that means we don't get him then I'm fine with that.

If you want a controllable starter, then it makes no sense to trade anyone who may contribute in the next 2.5 years. So why would anyone consider the selling of Brinson, Hader, Woodruff, Phillips or even Ortiz. It's like trying to make a sandwich by selling your bread to buy peanut butter and jelly.

Not a fan of giving up two pitchers at AA or higher and not letting Burnes go unless it for a legit ace. I am not super high on Burnes stuff, but the control has been making his results unreal. Can't risk having that prove out to be highly effective.

-Brandon Woodruff or Luis Ortiz

-Mauricio Dubon or Brett Phillips

-Clint Coulter or Tyrone Taylor

-lower end prospect

Some combination of the above is probably what I would expect to pay. If that's not enough shrug your shoulders and move on.

HighHeat I unfortunately don't agree with your logic there. Gray is a proven commodity while our pitching prospects are totally unproven. Wily Peralta was once a Top 50 pitching prospect and did nothing. Jorge Lopez was one and proceeded to fall of the face of the earth. Jimmy Nelson was one and took YEARs to show real promise and who knows how real it is. Depending on those guys in the coming years is likely to be a big fat fail. We need more proven guys to help lead the rotation. We can only try and depend on 1 MAYBE 2 unproven guys in any given year.

Since the Brewers have only developed a few controllable starters in the past 20 years, what makes you so certain that Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz and Burnes are auotomatically going to become that?

I hold out alot of hope for Burnes but Hader could be a bullpen arm and the other two would probably be deemed a success with a Trevor Cahill-like career. Way too much risk involved with these prospects.

Since the Brewers have only developed a few controllable starters in the past 20 years, what makes you so certain that Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz and Burnes are auotomatically going to become that?

I hold out alot of hope for Burnes but Hader could be a bullpen arm and the other two would probably be deemed a success with a Trevor Cahill-like career. Way too much risk involved with these prospects.

Isn't there equally a high amount of risk involved for someone with the injury history of Gray?

I also think it's a huge risk to trade prospects for someone like Gray when some of those same prospects could be used to acquire a better talent.

Sure if there is a better cost controlled young talented SP available, that makes perfect sense.

Not sure that there is though.

Rays are in it. Not trading Archer this deadline.

Pirates said they are NOT trading Cole this deadline.

Blue Jays pretty much said that Stroman is not available.

How many Brewers employees directly involved in developing players have been with the organization the past 2yrs (since Stearns)? Past 5yrs? Past 10yrs? Past 20yrs? It's a blanket statement going back to the number of controlled starters the past 20yrs. How many times in the last 20yrs have the Brewers had a farm system like this? How many of those times did it take 2yrs to create it as well as what did you MLB team look like at those times?

Cahill was rushed and up by 21. That's one reason a lot of prospects don't live up to their hype. They never fully develop before coming up. Every prospect is different - build, stuff, feel for pitching, mental approach, intelligence, etc. When guys like Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz, Burnes have performed the way they have you don't bypass them because not every pitching prospect lives up to their hype.

Not a fan of giving up two pitchers at AA or higher and not letting Burnes go unless it for a legit ace. I am not super high on Burnes stuff, but the control has been making his results unreal. Can't risk having that prove out to be highly effective.

-Brandon Woodruff or Luis Ortiz

-Mauricio Dubon or Brett Phillips

-Clint Coulter or Tyrone Taylor

-lower end prospect

Some combination of the above is probably what I would expect to pay. If that's not enough shrug your shoulders and move on.

HighHeat I unfortunately don't agree with your logic there. Gray is a proven commodity while our pitching prospects are totally unproven. Wily Peralta was once a Top 50 pitching prospect and did nothing. Jorge Lopez was one and proceeded to fall of the face of the earth. Jimmy Nelson was one and took YEARs to show real promise and who knows how real it is. Depending on those guys in the coming years is likely to be a big fat fail. We need more proven guys to help lead the rotation. We can only try and depend on 1 MAYBE 2 unproven guys in any given year.

I sure hope we don't actually give all that up for Gray. It's amazing to me how much people on the board are willing to give up for Gray. He's an undersized rh starting pitcher with significant injury history that doesn't have elite velocity and is coming off a 5.5+ ERA season. He's also moving to a much more hitter friendly environment if we trade for him. And he'll have to start hitting for himself and running the bases with that injury history. Red flag after red flag after red flag. I wouldn't even consider giving up a top 6 or 7 prospect for him. Woodruff, Hader, Brinson, Burnes, Diaz, and Erceg are completely off the table for me. That alone probably means someone else beats us in the bidding, which is just fine and what I'm hoping for. I think trading for Gray would be a bad move, I don't think he will continue to be as effective going forward as he was during his first couple years in the majors. I get that Gray isn't really a 5 ERA pitcher. I also get that the market is light on starting pitching this deadline. That doesn't mean there's some sort of requirement to overpay. IF we do make a move for Gray, I hope it's centered around either Clark or Ray. I'd be willing to include Diplan or Peralta...an undersized RH pitcher...and an upside flier or an upper level depth type like Cordell. That's the best I'd do, that's the most I think he's worth in prospects.

I would actually like to get in on the bidding process and stick to our guns with our price. Best case scenario we get Gray cheap or the Cubs get him and have to give up Schwarber or Happ.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Sure if there is a better cost controlled young talented SP available, that makes perfect sense.

We don't know really know who is or isn't available but if the price is too much for someone like Gray we simply walk away. No one has said we need to make a move. That being said, if a guy like Stroman becomes available I am willing to throw the prospects mentioned earlier in a trade for him without thinking twice.

I might be in the minority, but I truly don't think it's going to take a Quintana like package to acquire Gray. Think his perceived value is a lot higher than what it really is.

I agree, or at least it shouldn't take as much. If it does, hard pass.

Trevor Cahill had 5.7BWar in his first 62 games. and 5.5BWar the following 55games all told 11.2War. Who in the midst of his 3rd season was traded for a 3man package including Jarrod Parker who had 5.7War his first 2 seasons before injury ended his career.

Every bit of Sonny Gray fits that exact mode that Cahill provided...who disappeared in performance/injured at the same timeline that Gray is now in, that Woodruff/Hader/Ortiz are not in.

Hader and Ortiz weren't original draftees of the Brewers. Woodruff and Burnes are. Nelson is a product of Milwaukee's system. It's a different time-stamp in competitiveness the Brewers exist today in vs 20years ago. The draft, a cheap owner, GMs, coaches, scouts, and media, all that involved. 20years ago I think a select few of us even had an idea on the minors of Milwaukee's, much less the other ballclubs. Trading Brinson, Hader, and Woodruff you wouldn't know the loss it is to the organization as you do today. This applies to draft day, the media knowledge is at your fingertips, and so is the medical advances for these players since 20 years ago. The analytics are way more advanced to expose a good vs. a fail.

The franchise is this close...to producing a number of pitchers it has drafted and turn this 20years of futility on its head....or we over-react send that chance away taking in a guy who could be expiring as a quality starter...should he be a Cahill...and miss this chance at having Cahills produced on our side.

No way am I giving up our close to,the majors top'pitching prospects.

We gave outfield depth to trade and lower minors pitching prospects but I'm not giving up Woodrupff or Burnes.

If that means we don't get him then I'm fine with that.

Agree 100%. I'd trade Ortiz, but I wouldn't like it. Woodruff and Burnes are going nowhere.

I'm offering Ray, Diplan and Harrison. If that's not enough heck with it.

Why would Oakland take three guys approaching arbitration over players with 6 years of MLB control?

Because most are major leaguers, and there is something to be said for that. They could turn it around pretty quickly

That's not how Billy Beane rolls though. The A's don't retain players when they become free agents.

Pirates have said nothing about not trading Cole. Cole is available but at a very steep price.

Archived