Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

Davies, Phillips, Ray, and Angel Ventura for Gray

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd stay clear of trading any MLB bat, you could throw off chemistry & rotation when our offense has been clicking.

I agree that we should be careful with that. But it's also a question of how much the A's would value the likes of Broxton or Santana. If including an MLB bat means we don't give up any pitching, then that should be something to at least consider. Probably won't end up doing it, but I'd not dismiss the idea entirely.

Moving Davies now seems like an ill-timed "sell-low" type move to me. Last year his WAR average between Fangraphs and Baseball Reference was 2.55 for a pitcher in his age 23 season. He hasn't had a significant injury and is an excellent bounce-back candidate if he gets his control issues worked out. I wouldn't be moving him now. Currently it appears he will finish this season at approximately 1 WAR. If that's how the A's evaluate him, he won't count for much in terms of trade value. Definite hold candidate IMO.

Zach Davies is really a good hold candidate. He is about to be passed up on the depth chart by both Woodruff/Burnes and probably Hader. Suter has made some noise in his small stint too. If the Brewers don't get a proven controllable starter before the deadline I am betting they find one this winter somehow.

That's a whole lot of competition for him. If a team values him in any capacity I wouldn't be too sad moving him. If he gets passed up in our rotation he will be worth peanuts.

If DS is going to acquire Gray or anyone else, the time to do it is RIGHT now. No sense in waiting..get as many starts out of him as possible down the stretch. Got a feeling Cubs are going to run off a bunch in a row, don't sit back and wait...STRIKE DS.

I think DS is going to be cautious here trying to figure how good this team is really is. Think this big road trip will go a long way in him making that decision. Ted simmions had some interesting thoughts about a team feels like they got it

I think DS is going to be cautious here trying to figure how good this team is really is. Think this big road trip will go a long way in him making that decision. Ted simmions had some interesting thoughts about a team feels like they got it

You snooze you lose...the longer he waits, the more likely it becomes someone else swoops in and grabs Gray or whoever else his targets are.

Ray;

Clark;

One of Diplan, Ponce, Zach Brown; and

Orimoloye or Coulter

Lot of upside there to entice Oakland. Lottery ticket in Orimoloye. Two high end OF prospects which they need, and one solid pitching prospect.

Brewers get a starter with control and still have Lutz, Harrison, Cordell, and Phillips in the OF as well as Burnes, Woodruff, Ortiz, Peralta and Medeiros at pitcher.

Ted Simmons would say literally anything on a Brewer broadcast about the team. Anyone would. The more I think about it the more I warm to a trade for Sonny Gray. There's a ton I'm skeptical of but I do believe the shot in the arm that the Cubs received extends farther beyond the diamond. That's an adrenaline rush that cannot be measured and is working wonders right now for them.

Lots of interesting discussion. It's still a tough decision. Anything including Hader, Woodruff, Oritiz, Burnes or Brinson I'm out on.

I'd offer up Ray, a choice of Dubon/Diaz/Phillips/Cordell/ and Peralta.

If somebody outbids, so be it. I see some people questioning Hader's value (not sure if it was this thread). After watching him throw, there's no way I'd include him for the likes of a Sonny Gray. Yes, his control is shaky, but he's been able to work around it and that arm if he figures out the control is elite. Even if he never makes it out of the bullpen, there's no way I'm taking the chance on letting him get away for two years of a mid-rotation-ish starter.

It's not about snoozing it a matter do you re empty the farm system

You aren't "emptying" the farm system. they would still have plenty of prospects, and besides, not all of them will ever set foot in Miller park anyway. You can't have them all.

You snooze you lose...the longer he waits, the more likely it becomes someone else swoops in and grabs Gray or whoever else his targets are.

You panic and overreact because of what the Cubs did and you lose a helluva lot more than if you move forward cautiously for a week.

You panic and overreact because of what the Cubs did and you lose a helluva lot more than if you move forward cautiously for a week.

Not an overreaction...you are currently in 1st place..upgrades are needed though, that's pretty obvious. Besides, it's not like we are talking a rental here. If it's a young controllable arm, it's a no brainer(to me anyway), regardless of circumstances.

Do you think this package gets it done:

One of Ray/Phillips (gives Oakland their CF prospect)

One of Dubon/Diaz (gives Oakland a middle infield prospect)

One of Pennington/Herrera (more of a high risk/high reward young arm)

Is that too much to give up or too little? Considering the Cubs gave up a top 10 prospect in Jimenez and another Top 100 guy in Cease for Quintana, I'm thinking that my package probably isn't good enough? Something tells me that we'd have to part with either Brinson, Hader, Woodruff or Burnes to get the deal done. Would you be willing to give up one of those four guys in this deal to get Gray? If DS can pull off a trade for Gray without giving up any of those four guys, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

Do you think this package gets it done:

One of Ray/Phillips (gives Oakland their CF prospect)

One of Dubon/Diaz (gives Oakland a middle infield prospect)

One of Pennington/Herrera (more of a high risk/high reward young arm)

Is that too much to give up or too little? Considering the Cubs gave up a top 10 prospect in Jimenez and another Top 100 guy in Cease for Quintana, I'm thinking that my package probably isn't good enough? Something tells me that we'd have to part with either Brinson, Hader, Woodruff or Burnes to get the deal done. Would you be willing to give up one of those four guys in this deal to get Gray? If DS can pull off a trade for Gray without giving up any of those four guys, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

Oakland needs 3 new OFs, not just one. They're outfield defense is terrible. Start the package with Phillips and Ray. We're still loaded with OF prospects, because Clark has blown past Ray anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Substitute Cordell for Phillips and I think it's spot on. Cordell is a CF - he's played there more than any other position, he just doesn't play there now because of Brinson.

Davies + Ray has a lot of value. Shouldn't have to include Phillips with that.

Boy, if we could make this deal - and only give up Davies (Gray would replace him anyway), Cordell & Ray (we have plenty of OF prospects in our system so we'll have to trade some eventually), and Ventura - that would be an amazing deal by Stearns. Only giving up one of your top 10 prospects (in a loaded system), and getting a TOR starter, would be huge.

Community Moderator

Substitute Cordell for Phillips and I think it's spot on. Cordell is a CF - he's played there more than any other position, he just doesn't play there now because of Brinson.

Davies + Ray has a lot of value. Shouldn't have to include Phillips with that.

I do think some of us (myself included) have a tendency to underestimate the value of Corey Ray. I know the statline isn't great, but I think he is still well thought both within and outside the organization. There are plenty of industry folks that are still high on Ray's talent. Have heard positives such as from this past Spring when he was said to have a great approach and to have taken some of the most professional at-bats of any prospect in AZ as well as the Futures Game when he impressed with his batting practice display. While I am just as guilty as many others of favoring Ray being included in a deal over many of the other top prospects, I still think he is considered a valuable commodity within the industry who could develop into a very good major league outfielder.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Some of you guys are literally throwing together deals of players you don't like and/or are outfielders. Good luck getting a deal with your damaged goods. If you aren't willing to give up a player you would truly hurt to see leave good luck getting any big time player.

Some of you guys are literally throwing together deals of players you don't like and/or are outfielders. Good luck getting a deal with your damaged goods. If you aren't willing to give up a player you would truly hurt to see leave good luck getting any big time player.

Agree. If the names being mentioned are the offer, the Cubs will swoop in and grab Gray too. it's going to take Brinson, Ortiz or Woodruff and one or two more guys outside the top ten and the Brewers should feel fortunate they didn't have to give up Hader too. The price of poker for a controlled starter is high. But remember if they aren't in the race next year at this time, they likely can get back 75% of what they gave up. That's how they have to look at it.

And for those thinking we can get Gray for table scraps.

“Our approach now given the commitment we have is try to get the best players, period. And understanding also that this process doesn’t happen overnight and we’re going to have to be patient with it.”

http://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Billy-Beane-insists-A-s-committed-to-major-11292397.php&cmpid=twitter-premium

If you want Gray, chances are the package is going to have to lead with Brinson or Hader. That's fine if you don't want to pay that price but they aren't going to accept our 6th best prospect or something and then a bunch of guys in the 15-25 range because they feel they need a certain position or something.

Archived