Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

The A's could also be trying to get Yonder Alonso added into their Yankees deal to increase the return.

If that's not getting Frazier, than A's should look elsewhere (Brewers) and circle back and try to get Florial for Alonso alone.

Bahahahaha, get serious. Renting Alonso as a sweetener is still not enough to get Frazier. He's impact talent, just like brinson. You don't trade impact talent for solid contributors. You fundamentally can't grasp that though, time will tell.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees are in first place and happen to have a black hole at 1B all season. They certainly have interest in Alonso, even if they don't want to part with Frazier for Gray.

They aren't attached to their prospects like they are their World Championships.

Unlike the Brewers, they have a large market payroll to fill any roster holes that are created by traded prospects.

:laughing

I can't even....this is just gold. Right up there with the recent 'I had drinks with Craig Counsell's wife so I know what I'm talking about' guy.

I see you've been a board member for 10+ years, so you're obviously not 12. It's just...most people gain a sense of self-awareness over time and don't actually think that they're more qualified than the 30 men in the world deemed most qualified to run a Major League Baseball team.

All I'm saying is..I'm too competitive to sit on my hands in the middle of a pennant race and wait for 3-4 years down the road to see if MAYBE my rebuilding plan works. That's why I am shocked DS is..You'd think GM's are super competitive too. Look, I'm not saying empty the farm necessarily but they need at least another bullpen arm and a starter. If they can get those two pieces..I really think they have a shot. Those two pieces SHOULD be fairly easy to get without giving up the farm I would think. If you can do it for quantity over quality, why wouldn't you??

The jury is still very much out on DS but if the Brewers personnel think Brinson is the next great Brewers player and the same scouts say Gray is a good but not great pitcher then you don't trade him.

Agressivenes is irrelevant in this case. You don't give up more than you are getting in return.

The Brewers are not a Gray away from matching the Cubs in talent so trading for him using elite prospects makes little sense. If they can get him for Ray and Nottingham great. If they need to add Phillips Im not sure and if they have to add Brinson that's a no unless they sweeten their offer.

Bahahahahaha. This is no less silly than the guy who thinks he could bring winning baseball to Milwaukee if he was handed the GM keys. In what universe is the jury still out on him? What exactly has he done to this point that makes you so uncertain of him?

The Yankees are in first place and happen to have a black hole at 1B all season. They certainly have interest in Alonso, even if they don't want to part with Frazier for Gray.

They aren't attached to their prospects like they are their World Championships.

Unlike the Brewers, they have a large market payroll to fill any roster holes that are created by traded prospects.

You make a fair point that it's much easier for the Yankees to trade a prospect than the Brewers due to payroll. That said, their GM has proven very competent over the last couple seasons and they won't make such a silly overpay for that level of talent. I could see the trade happening, but Frazier and Torres won't be included. I hope I'm wrong, I can't stand the yankees, I hope they trade both...I just highly highly doubt it would happen.

I don't think the Yankees will get Frazier or Torres, but my point was the A's are trying to add Alonso to the deal to add value to Gray and convince Yankees to pony up, which they likely won't.

I have a feeling dark horse team and not the Yankees or Brewers get Gray now if the quality of the headliner is lowering.

It's too bad Corey Ray has stunk up the joint this year. He's killed his trade value, if he was even halfway decent in Carolina, Gray is probably easily obtainable for him and perhaps even the Sox prefer our offer for Quintana over the Cubs, which was a huge turning point in the season.

Can't blame sellers for not being interested in a supposedly advanced college bat in High A who is neither productive nor young for his level as the centerpiece of a deal.

It's too bad Corey Ray has stunk up the joint this year. He's killed his trade value, if he was even halfway decent in Carolina, Gray is probably easily obtainable for him and perhaps even the Sox prefer our offer for Quintana over the Cubs, which was a huge turning point in the season.

Can't blame sellers for not being interested in a supposedly advanced college bat in High A who is neither productive nor young for his level as the centerpiece of a deal.

Sellers aren't going to be as turned off as you think by 2/3 of his first pro season of subpar production coming off knee surgery. The same swing, bat speed, tools, etc are still there. To say he's killed his trade value is a massive exaggeration and likely not true. That would be like saying brinson killed his trade value last year with his aa stat line and injury prior to the deal.

if The A's are coming off of Frazier and Torres in the Gray talks why won't they come off of Brinson?

I would do Phillips Ray and Herrera for Gray

Because they really like Estevan Florial, pretty clearly more than they like Ray.

Maybe their scouting department just doesn't like Ray. It's not so much about who they will come off of as it is how much they like the alternatives. If the A's don't like any of our OF prospects besides Brinson there is not much we can do.

Boy, I just wish the Brewers would get back involved here with Phillips as the headliner..I can't believe the A's wouldn't like him, and I'm guessing Sonny would love to be in Milwaukee with Vogt, DJ etc.

https://www.facebook.com/kenrosenthalsports/posts/1464597516939308

Maybe they don't want Phillips? It's gotta be a match on both ends for the dance to work.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If I'm the A's, I'd be really interested in a depth package, with 4 quality prospects than one blue-chip headliner at this point.

The Brewers can provide this, but the A's need to really like the prospects we'd be offering.

If they are in love with Estaben Florial, perhaps they can be sold on Monte Harrison instead.

I promise you...Mark A writes me a blank check and I would absolutely guarantee you winning baseball in Milwaukee for the forseeable future. That's a fact!

I think you deserve the opportunity, what is your 3 day and 2018 plan?

YGycwmw.png

It was Brinson or bust. Brewers will NOT be getting Sonny Gray barring maricle of changes.

I guess I do and I don't understand the Brewers thinking on this..first off, yes it's early in his career but Brinson has not showed me anything for me to annoint him as the next "great one". In fact, he has a big hole in his swing(much like Broxton does), and his plate discipline leaves a lot to be desired. Further, you have to remember, this is a guy that Texas traded to Milwaukee for a catcher and a bullpen arm. Not only that, but both were essentially rentals and Texas knew that yet were still willing to give up Brinson..you have to ask yourself why that is?? I mean, if Brinson can bring you a young, controllable Pitcher(albeit not a bonafide ace), outside of Brinson's control, I guess I'm just not sure why you wouldn't do that. Especially when you consider that with Derrick Johnson on staff, and his closeness with Gray, perhaps he could get even more out of him then most could. It's not a "win now" move, it's a move to bolster your staff for the rest of this year plus at least the next two at a low cost financially.

Most would want more if they were to move Brinson..okay I get that thinking as well, but then you have to ask yourself, what kind of starter do you really think you could get including Brinson in a deal..The true bonafide studs(Kershaw, Scherzer etc) are never going to be traded, and really who would ever be available on the market in the next couple of years(Brewers window), that would be THAT much better than Gray, and you'd be willing to trade Brinson for??

I promise you...Mark A writes me a blank check and I would absolutely guarantee you winning baseball in Milwaukee for the forseeable future. That's a fact!

I think you deserve the opportunity, what is your 3 day and 2018 plan?

YGycwmw.png

Love it! All I'm saying is, as a GM you cannot be afraid to move ANYONE for the right price..I get DS is hesitant to move Brinson for Gray, but if not now, then who would come on the market in the next few years that he would move Brinson for?? I just don't see that guy..

I don't want to trade Brinson for anyone really. Brinson is a giant overpay for the Brewers when it comes to Gray. The only reason is it Brinson or bust is because they don't like our other top prospects. If they valued our other guys then we could easily have made a deal happy and I am sure Stearns put together, what he thought, was a worthy deal. Brinson just that.

The Brewers want to and our going to role their dice on Brinson not Gray. We will see how that ends up in the long run. I think Brinson out plays him pretty easily in the next 6 years vs. 2.5 years of Gray. You seem like trading Brinson is something we have to do and it is not.

If I'm the A's, I'd be really interested in a depth package, with 4 quality prospects than one blue-chip headliner at this point.

The Brewers can provide this, but the A's need to really like the prospects we'd be offering.

If they are in love with Estaben Florial, perhaps they can be sold on Monte Harrison instead.

Didn't you make the argument earlier in this thread that we don't have any quality prospects?

Too early to say. Hard to predict buyers and sellers the next few years. To me, no one is untouchable either, but Gray IMO just isn't good enough.

I might have given up Brinson for Quintana, given the extra years of control, but not Gray.

Archived