Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

That said, with all the mediocre pitching names being thrown around, if the Crew does strike a trade for a starter, Gray's pretty much the only guy out there that is a significant upgrade to the rotation. If Stearns can figure out a deal that minimizes the talent thrown back to the A's, he could be a real good pickup for the next 2 1/2 years. Keep emphasizing those legitimate injury concerns and get him for a deal David!

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe nieuwenhuis is in milwaukee because jonathan villar is about to be traded to detroit. makes hernan perez the starting second baseman, and gives the brewers a true backup centerfielder for the coming days.

Yep. If we weren't going to include Brinson for Quintana, stands to reason we won't for Gray.

The biggest dealbreaker to me for Brinson is not enough control. If I'm including Brinson in a deal I'm looking for a guy that can anchor my rotation for the next 4-5 years, like a Fulmer.

Honestly I think there is a healthy chance the Brewers get Gray. The Brewers won't give up Brinson, but they don't need to. I think they can make a legit offer with Ray or Phillips leading the way. That will be a competitive offer when the other heavily interested teams are also balking at the price. A's seem to really want a CFer and no team really has a major one they are going to spare.

In these last few days either someone gives in to the price or the team holding the player drops the price to get a deal done. Seems like the A's need to drop the price or hold onto him and I don't think they want to do the later. Should be interesting to see who gets him, but I think said team gets him at a decent price.

Yep. If we weren't going to include Brinson for Quintana, stands to reason we won't for Gray.

The biggest dealbreaker to me for Brinson is not enough control. If I'm including Brinson in a deal I'm looking for a guy that can anchor my rotation for the next 4-5 years, like a Fulmer.

Yup or someone ridiculous like Bumgarner that I get for two playoff runs.

(I realize Bumgarner probably is controllable past next year...just using him as a talent level).

I wish Gray had a bit more control, but I'm coming around to the idea of buying simply because it's been such a buyers market. Stearns is a smart guy -- he's surely taking note of this and perhaps sees it as an investment opportunity.

Even if we fade this year, Ray for Gray, assuming the supplementary pieces aren't much, is a good value buy. You exchange a position of strength for a position everyone needs. They already havr multiple CFers that are at least either serviceable with some upside already at the MLB level (Broxton), or former/current top prospects with very good upside (Brinson, Phillips).

On top of that you still have CF depth in the lower levels with Clark and Lutz.

Then you have Gray and not only does he help you now but you also have multiple opportunities in the next couple years to either hold him if you're doing well, or flip him again if you're not, possibly at a time when it's more of a seller's market.

So, I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of a market opportunity, if you're comfortable with Gray's medicals.

Nightengale tweeted that the A's insist on Brinson if the Brewers want Gray. The Brewers have said no. Talks have stalled.

:angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

Oh my.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure where to put this but Brewer Nation on Twitter says Kirk N is headed to Milwaukee.

Let the speculation begin!

Well they can't promote Phillips so it could just be because of that. Need to replace someone due to injury? Really want that lefty bat? Not sure what to think here. Waaaay too many possibilities.

I agree I have no idea what it means.

But we do know if the reports are to be believed that the price for Gray is Brinson, Phillips can't be called up to replace him, and to our knowledge no OF is hurt.

But if Brinson is traded for Gray, Kirk N could be called up to be a stopgap until Phillips can be called up again.

Let me ask this simple question to those thn't want to trade Brinson for Gray...now let's assume Gray stays healthy for the remainder of his time in Milwaukee, let's say that's 10 more starts this year, and 60 combined the next two after that..let's say of those 70 combined starts he wins in a Brewers uniform, let's just say he wins 35 of them...that's half..and that's really low, but we'll use it..35 wins and let's say his ERA in his time in Milwaukee is 3.75 over all of his starts. There is in my opinion absolutely ZERO chance Lewis Brinson can account for 35 wins in that some time span, using any metric you want..I don't see that as possible. How is it not worth it?? Because Brinson has 6 years of control and Gray has 2 1/2?? So what?? Unless Brinson is hitting .280 every one of those years with 25-30 hrs and knocking in 90-100 runs(which is highly unlikely), what are you really losing?? From what i have seen of him so far...I'm just not ga ga over him like a lot of you are. There have been MANY prospects through the years that come up and start raking instantly and don't stop their whole careers..That makes the ma superstar. Brinson hasn't. Let's say he does 3 out of those 6 years of control..How much did that really help the Brewers win?? 3 years of an average major leaguer, and the last 3 years of above average but not superstar level??

To me...if he's the next great thing, he should be doing it right now..you'd see it..but frankly, we haven't. Remember Braun and how he raked when he first got called up?? That's what brinson should be doing if he was going to be this All star like everyone here seems to think.

To me...if he's the next great thing, he should be doing it right now..you'd see it..but frankly, we haven't. Remember Braun and how he raked when he first got called up?? That's what brinson should be doing if he was going to be this All star like everyone here seems to think.

Just like Aaron Judge killed it last year.

Let me ask this simple question to those thn't want to trade Brinson for Gray...now let's assume Gray stays healthy for the remainder of his time in Milwaukee, let's say that's 10 more starts this year, and 60 combined the next two after that..let's say of those 70 combined starts he wins in a Brewers uniform, let's just say he wins 35 of them...that's half..and that's really low, but we'll use it..35 wins and let's say his ERA in his time in Milwaukee is 3.75 over all of his starts. There is in my opinion absolutely ZERO chance Lewis Brinson can account for 35 wins in that some time span, using any metric you want..I don't see that as possible. How is it not worth it?? Because Brinson has 6 years of control and Gray has 2 1/2?? So what?? Unless Brinson is hitting .280 every one of those years with 25-30 hrs and knocking in 90-100 runs(which is highly unlikely), what are you really losing?? From what i have seen of him so far...I'm just not ga ga over him like a lot of you are. There have been MANY prospects through the years that come up and start raking instantly and don't stop their whole careers..That makes the ma superstar. Brinson hasn't. Let's say he does 3 out of those 6 years of control..How much did that really help the Brewers win?? 3 years of an average major leaguer, and the last 3 years of above average but not superstar level??

A 3.75 era for 2.5 seasons doesn't even approach the value of a 280 avg 25-30 hr cf playing great defense for 2.5 years, much less 6. Also brinson has played only a handful of games so far and the starts were sporadic. He also has hit 2 bombs in his last 3 games. Also, plenty of guy take time to adjust to mlb pitching and end up being stars. Literally every aspect of your post is way way wrong.

I'm in the "don't trade Brinson for Gray" camp. I'd be curious as to what else, if anything, Oakland would expect in return. If we give up Brinson they can't seriously expect another top prospect, especially one of our top pitchers. I'd throw in a Medeiros or a Coulter type but not much else.

On a side note I just realized that I included two former first round picks as throw-ins for a trade. Man we've had some bad first round picks.

You are assuming we could trade Brinson straight up. Not to mention you are associating a pitchers value to his win total, correct? That's wrong on so many levels. Even the teams amount of wins in a pitchers starts is terrible.

It is absolutely insane to try to project a guys entire career based on a small handful of MLB at-bats.

Lewis Brinson has had 45 plate appearances st the MLB level. There is absolutely no way you can say what kind of player he will be at this point.

Not every prospect is going to be Ryan Braun or Cody Bellinger from day 1. It just doesn't work like that. Aaron Judge had 95 plate appearances for the Yankees in 2016, and he was terrible. Can you imagine if they had simply thrown in the towel on him before the season and included him as part of a deal for Quintana or another pitcher that was on the trade block?

A VERY small sample size for Brinson so far in the bigs. I would say that given the injury history that Sonny has a lot of unknowns as well.

How soon everyone forgets...Lewis Brinson was traded by the Rangers to Milwaukee for a catcher..and a bullpen arm. Think about that. If Texas really thought he was going to be that spectacular, you think they would have traded him for a freaking Catcher and a bullpen arm?? You think if other organizations had Lewis Brinson they wouldn't trade him in the midst of a pennant race to try to "go for it"?? I can tell you who would've traded him by now...Mark A would have, and not thought twice about it. He didn't become a millionaire by being passive, resistant to taking some chances, and most importantly, striking when the time is right. The longer you wait, the better chance you have diminishing returns..he knows that. Not sure why DS doesn't.

It is absolutely insane to try to project a guys entire career based on a small handful of MLB at-bats.

Lewis Brinson has had 45 plate appearances st the MLB level. There is absolutely no way you can say what kind of player he will be at this point.

Not every prospect is going to be Ryan Braun or Cody Bellinger from day 1. It just doesn't work like that. Aaron Judge had 95 plate appearances for the Yankees in 2016, and he was terrible. Can you imagine if they had simply thrown in the towel on him before the season and included him as part of a deal for Quintana or another pitcher that was on the trade block?

That's interesting you say that because everyone here seems to think he's going to be the next great thing, don't they?? They sure seem to, or they wouldn't be so freaking afraid to trade him for a PROVEN major league Pitcher who by the way still has 2.5 years of control remaining, and as far as I know, there's no rules stating the Brewers couldn't sign him for another 3-4 after that if they wanted to..that's 6 years of control...just like Brinson.

If I can't say he won't be the next great thing, then people here certainly can't proclaim that he will be and be afraid to trade him. Or doesn't it work both ways??

Archived