Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

Some commenter on the the MLBTRADERUMORS thread proposed this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/brewers-trade-rumors-jose-quintana-sonny-gray.html#comments

Who hangs up first?

Oakland gets: LHP Josh Hader (No.2)

RHP a Brandon Woodruff (No.8)

3B Chad Mcclanahan (No.30)

Brewers gets: RHP Sonny Gray

Personally, I'd keep one or both of the pitchers in place of OF (Ray, Phillips, Harrison) or MI (Dubon, Isan Diaz) because of our depth at those positions. With that said, I believe the A's may demand at least one pitcher coming back to them in any deal.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on when you think the Brewers window actually is. If you think we have a legit playoff contending team for next year than this kind of trade makes total sense since Gray would be on the team in 2018 and 2019. You are getting 2.5 years out of him and if we aren't looking good in that 3rd year you likely can get back a good package in return for him. These kinds of players are exactly the type that are actually worth getting this season.

I don't think you give up a CC or Greinke style package though. Gray just hasn't proven he is that type of pitcher over the past couple of seasons.

I don't agree that it's too much to give up for Gray and will bet anyone that the A's actually get more for him via trade.

Ray and Clark are hitting .241 and .227 respectively at high A level of the minors this season.

Good chance at least one of them doesn't even make the bigs and the other is a replacement level regular.

Hope I'm wrong.

Add to it that they play a position, OF, that the Brewers have a glut of organizational depth.

Dubon is a nice hitter and MI and I think he'll have a fine MLB career but not at an All-Star level.

Diplan likely settles in as a 4-5 type starter in the bigs, which is valuable but nothing to prevent a big trade from happening on a contending team.

If the Brewers turn around and trade Gray in a year or two before he's a free agent, they can recoup much of their prospect asset loses.

If the A's insist on Brewers swapping in Brinson or Woodruff, I'd be fine with Stearns passing.

I'm 100% with you.

What many don't realize is that the A's have nothing for OF prospects. Their highest ranked OF prospect is at #8 in their system and he started the year in the DSL. Their #15 is a 1B/OF who struggles against LHP and strikes out a lot and projects to be a platoon player. Their next OF is at #21. I think OFs, especially ones who can play CF, will have a lot of value to them.

The reality is that the Brewers have a ton of OF prospects, plus Santana (only 24) on the major league roster. Some are going to have to be traded sooner or later, preferably while they still have value. That's my impetus for trading Ray now. I think he has more value now than he will two years from now.

So who should the Brewers trade their OF prospects for and when? Why wait and risk them losing value? Why not trade for a pitcher under 30 with multiple years of control?

A's GM Billy Beane likely thinks he got the better end of Stearns on the OF Khris Davis for C Jacob Nottingham and RHP Bubba Derby trade a little over a year ago.

I would hope the positive karma from that deal could lead the pair to try to work out a deal for Sonny.

And yes, I agree a CF prospect like Corey Ray is probably right in their wheelhouse to headline a deal.

Another Brewers CF prospect Monte Harrison has increased his stock at single A this season with a breakout first half that included two HR in the Midwest League All-Star game.

I wouldn't doubt that he would be a player on Beanes radar as well.

Harrison may be the Brewers best OF prospect. Id keep him under wraps unless his inclusion in a trade keeps Hader,Woodruff and Ortiz in the organization. Remember his draft writeup and athleticism had him around20 for 2015 draft, but his multisport left him with a longer ddevelopment expectation. Well, he's chugging away now like Gatewood. His growth and ceiling is higher than Ray and could surpass Brinson. (Expect to knocked at that but what is Brinson age to age stats/level)

In terms of current OF depth. 3 starters each at ML level and AAA. Trading Brinson to gain Q or Gray is a hit the Brewers can take. What they cant take is 2 of their best SP prospects with the future behind them and feel good on that.

1, 2, 3...any questions?

1cff098184461d86e971bff40581726c.jpg

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Harrison may be the Brewers best OF prospect. Id keep him under wraps unless his inclusion in a trade keeps Hader,Woodruff and Ortiz in the organization. Remember his draft writeup and athleticism had him around20 for 2015 draft, but his multisport left him with a longer ddevelopment expectation. Well, he's chugging away now like Gatewood. His growth and ceiling is higher than Ray and could surpass Brinson. (Expect to knocked at that but what is Brinson age to age stats/level)

In terms of current OF depth. 3 starters each at ML level and AAA. Trading Brinson to gain Q or Gray is a hit the Brewers can take. What they cant take is 2 of their best SP prospects with the future behind them and feel good on that.

I agree that the Brewers can't lose 2 of the their top SP prospects in any trade but I strongly disagree that trading Brinson is a hit the Brewers can take. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in our system and plays a premium position very well (not only what I believe but also the overwhelming general consensus). Harrison may be the best athlete of the prospect group but that doesn't automatically translate to being the best player or having the highest ceiling. His ceiling also certainly isn't higher than Ray nor will he surpass Brinson. Since you asked the question about Harrison vs Brinson age/level I'll answer it for you....

Harrison

2016 - 20 yr old in A and 1.5yrs young - 221/294/631 (75 games)

2017 - 21yr old in A and .2yrs young - 265/359/834 (63 games)

A+ and 1.6yrs young - 270/325/811 (9 games)

Brinson

2014 - 20yr old in A and 1.5yrs young - 335/405/985 (43 games)

A+ and 2.9yrs young - 246/307/656 (46 games)

2015 - 21yr old in A+ and 1.6yrs young - 337/416/1044 (64 games)

AA and 3.2yrs young - 291/328/873 (28 games)

AAA and 5.8yrs young - 433/541/1107 (8 games)

AZFL and 1.2yrs young - 300/408/983 (11 games)

*then rated #15/16 overall after that season

Harrison's not even remotely close to being in the same ballpark

Hader was sharp last night, Suter outstanding until 7th, Woodruff deserves a look once healed up.... note sure we need to clean out 3-4 top prospects. We have options in house until Chase is back & rest of way out.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

if Suter continues to pitch like this, i really don't see the need to add Starting pitchers. He could fill in for Guerra if needed once Anderson comes back. I would still like to add a reliever this month

Yup, could be the next Jungmann/Guerra. Probably pitching over his head, but he can be a huge help this season for a good stretch.

I don't agree that it's too much to give up for Gray and will bet anyone that the A's actually get more for him via trade.

Ray and Clark are hitting .241 and .227 respectively at high A level of the minors this season.

Good chance at least one of them doesn't even make the bigs and the other is a replacement level regular.

Hope I'm wrong.

Add to it that they play a position, OF, that the Brewers have a glut of organizational depth.

Dubon is a nice hitter and MI and I think he'll have a fine MLB career but not at an All-Star level.

Diplan likely settles in as a 4-5 type starter in the bigs, which is valuable but nothing to prevent a big trade from happening on a contending team.

If the Brewers turn around and trade Gray in a year or two before he's a free agent, they can recoup much of their prospect asset loses.

If the A's insist on Brewers swapping in Brinson or Woodruff, I'd be fine with Stearns passing.

I'm 100% with you.

What many don't realize is that the A's have nothing for OF prospects. Their highest ranked OF prospect is at #8 in their system and he started the year in the DSL. Their #15 is a 1B/OF who struggles against LHP and strikes out a lot and projects to be a platoon player. Their next OF is at #21. I think OFs, especially ones who can play CF, will have a lot of value to them.

The reality is that the Brewers have a ton of OF prospects, plus Santana (only 24) on the major league roster. Some are going to have to be traded sooner or later, preferably while they still have value. That's my impetus for trading Ray now. I think he has more value now than he will two years from now.

So who should the Brewers trade their OF prospects for and when? Why wait and risk them losing value? Why not trade for a pitcher under 30 with multiple years of control?

You're right about the A's not having much for OF prospects but their current MLB OF is also old and sucks. At least Khris Davis hits HR but the other 2 are junk. And their rotation is decimated with injuries right now. Puk/Holmes are 1.5-2yrs away if they move quick and they're the highest rated SP prospects (I'd personally take Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz, Burnes over both of those guys).

This is why I would ask them about a Guerra/Broxton/Cooper/Peralta type package for Gray/Doolittle. They get 2 MLB starters between rotation/CF and Cooper can spell Alonso next year (FA). Peralta is a young live arm in AA at 21. Gray has 2yrs and Doolittle 3yrs. Cooper doesn't hurt us long-term due to Thames/Aguilar plus Shaw can always move there eventually since we have him for 4yrs still. Brinson takes over CF right away then but we bolster rotation with Gray and pen with Doolittle. No idea if A's are even open to that type of deal but hopefully we kick the tires on some of our MLB players (ie Broxton) in trades and not just prospects

This is why I would ask them about a Guerra/Broxton/Cooper/Peralta type package for Gray/Doolittle

Oakland isn't going to just accept our junk and a few OK prospects for one of the top available deadline arms. Cooper is having a hell of a year in AAA but he's 26 and has yet to do anything in the major leagues. Guerra is struggling big time and has one year wonder written all over him. Broxton is a decent player and Peralta is a decent prospect but they can't be centerpieces in a deal for Gray. Oakland will want at least Hader or Woodruff plus another top prospect.

This is the second time in 5 minutes I"ve seen someone put Cooper in a trade like he actually has value. Until he got to Colorado Springs the only times he posted an OPS of .800 or better was as a 22 year old in 70 plate appearances in the Pioneer League, a 23 year old in 19 plate appearances in the Arizona League, a 23 year old in 32 plate appearances in the Midwest League and a 24 year old in 36 plate appearances in the Southern League.

That track record is a lot closer to being available on waivers than having actual trade value.

Cooper is to some as a backup QB in the NFL.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived