Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say Phillips would qualify too. But I think I saw a tweet from Rosenthal yesterday saying the Brewers had been fading in these talks. Presumably pulling back due to the poor play lately.

I'm almost certain that Beane and Stearns talked. Beane demanded Brinson be the headliner in any Gray deal to the Brewers. Attanasio and Stearns talked and decided that Brinson is off the table. Discussions between the Brewers and A's ceased as the Yankees etc. decided to go for it.

This will fire up the people who want Gray if true since we do have a lot of CFs in our system.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This will fire up the people who want Gray if true since we do have a lot of CFs in our system..

Gray is the top pitcher on the market and he is not a rental. If the Brewers want him it will require a package greater than what the Brewers received for Lucroy last year. Something like:

1. Brinson

2. Phillips

3. Ortiz

4. Diplan or Peralta

5. Dubon or Erceg

Of course the Brewers could trade Gray in the offseason and recoup 2 or 3 pieces. That is, if Gray pitches well and remains healthy.

This will fire up the people who want Gray if true since we do have a lot of CFs in our system..

Gray is the top pitcher on the market and he is not a rental. If the Brewers want him it will require a package greater than what the Brewers received for Lucroy last year. Something like:

1. Brinson

2. Phillips

3. Ortiz

4. Diplan or Peralta

5. Dubon or Erceg

Of course the Brewers could trade Gray in the offseason and recoup 2 or 3 pieces. That is, if Gray pitches well and remains healthy.

That is a package worthy of a bonafide stud like Sale and not an injury prone number three like Gray. I am quite thankful that Stearns is way too smart to make a deal like this.

1. Brinson

2. Phillips

3. Ortiz

4. Diplan or Peralta

5. Dubon or Erceg

Which may well be true, but if I'm Stearns and if that's the ask for Gray, I am using some colorful language with Billy Beane.

1. Brinson

2. Phillips

3. Ortiz

4. Diplan or Peralta

5. Dubon or Erceg

Which may well be true, but if I'm Stearns and if that's the ask for Gray, I am using some colorful language with Billy Beane.

I agree. As I have written in other threads. I want no part of Gray. I think Grays days as a top of the rotation starter are limited and I think he is a tommy john surgery waiting to happen.

With that said, Beane is not stupid. Some team is going to get desperate and roll the dice. Beane is going to get a kings ransom for Gray

I don't understand this thread. People are calling Gray a 3 at best and simultaneously saying he's going to cost a kings ransom to get. Those ideas seem to contradict each other. He's not getting a kings ransom if he is a three, an injury prone three at that.

I also highly doubt that Beane would hang up on the Brewers if they refuse to deal Brinson. If Oakland wants a CF they can basically have their choice of Ray, Phillips, Clark, Cordell and Harrison, and heck even Broxton as a third or fourth piece if they want to take the chance that he gets it together They can also probably get a decent pitching prospect or two. Milwaukee has plenty to offer past Brinson and I don't think Beane is insisting on a consensus top 20 overall prospect for Gray.

Steve Adams of MLBTradeRumors had a live chat this afternoon. Here is a relevant excerpt:

FeartheBeerd

3:55 Brewers trade Brinson and Dubon for Gray?

Steve Adams

3:55 It's a reasonable start to the package but I assume Oakland would try to get a third piece involved there

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-7-25-17-2371.html

Steve Adams of MLBTradeRumors had a live chat this afternoon. Here is a relevant excerpt:

FeartheBeerd

3:55 Brewers trade Brinson and Dubon for Gray?

Steve Adams

3:55 It's a reasonable start to the package but I assume Oakland would try to get a third piece involved there

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-7-25-17-2371.html

No chance we trade both of those much less a third piece for Gray. PASS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't understand this thread. People are calling Gray a 3 at best and simultaneously saying he's going to cost a kings ransom to get. Those ideas seem to contradict each other. He's not getting a kings ransom if he is a three, an injury prone three at that.

It's simple supply and demand. At this time, many teams want a good starter. At this time, not many are selling them. Thus - at this time - the sellers can look to sell a good pitcher (Gray) at a very high price. There just aren't many good, cheap and controllable players available. Scarcity drives up the price.

Will the A's get a really high price for Gray - we shall see. But for now, the A's are trying to extract as much value as possible. They'd be fools not to try.

I'd say Phillips would qualify too. But I think I saw a tweet from Rosenthal yesterday saying the Brewers had been fading in these talks. Presumably pulling back due to the poor play lately.

I'm almost certain that Beane and Stearns talked. Beane demanded Brinson be the headliner in any Gray deal to the Brewers. Attanasio and Stearns talked and decided that Brinson is off the table. Discussions between the Brewers and A's ceased as the Yankees etc. decided to go for it.

I think Stearns is too open minded to really take any player 'off the table', but it's possible he values Brinson over Gray.

How about all the Brrrrs (Brinson, Broxton, Braun) for Gray and one their top 5 pitching prospects?

I would trade all three for Gray straight up and not think about it much. Braun has negative value, Broxton is meh, and Brinson is one prospect. If you don't even want Gray just flip him right away and you will look brilliant. Braun's negative value cancels out any positive Broxton value and likely starts eating away at Brinson's positive value.

How about all the Brrrrs (Brinson, Broxton, Braun) for Gray and one their top 5 pitching prospects?

I would trade all three for Gray straight up and not think about it much. Braun has negative value, Broxton is meh, and Brinson is one prospect. If you don't even want Gray just flip him right away and you will look brilliant. Braun's negative value cancels out any positive Broxton value and likely starts eating away at Brinson's positive value.

Yea, I realize Braun would have to approve it, so this is more for fun. And Brewers would need to eat a year of the contract, that would make it closer. Just interesting Braun's name hasn't been mentioned once in public, or here. So that probably means this is the time he DOES actually get traded. But no, it won't be the As.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/25/the-yankees-prospects-as-covet-in-sonny-gray-sweepstakes/

So the Brewers offer for Quintana started with Ray and Ortiz...I imagine this is the beginning of their offer for Gray as well. Depending on the third piece, this is exactly who I would be most comfortable moving in a Gray deal.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/25/the-yankees-prospects-as-covet-in-sonny-gray-sweepstakes/

So the Brewers offer for Quintana started with Ray and Ortiz...I imagine this is the beginning of their offer for Gray as well. Depending on the third piece, this is exactly who I would be most comfortable moving in a Gray deal.

If that's true, I'm good with moving on. I'd be comfortable giving up that for Gray, but if that's on the table and has them moving on, then there must be some big offers available.

We'll see. I could see it coming down to the deadline and having the Brewers back in the conversation depending on how the week goes.

If that's true, I'm good with moving on. I'd be comfortable giving up that for Gray, but if that's on the table and has them moving on, then there must be some big offers available.

We'll see. I could see it coming down to the deadline and having the Brewers back in the conversation depending on how the week goes.

I would think Gray will overall come at a lesser cost than Quintana. To me, that says that package is the absolute ceiling of what we would offer for Gray. I tend to agree that Ray/Ortiz would be a lot to give up, but it trades from strength(OF) and doesn't touch our top 3 pitching prospects(Hader/Woodruff/Burnes). I don't think I'd do that deal if it was my call, but I can understand it and don't think it would be a significant overpay.

With teams like the Braves, Yankees and Astros in the bidding, they can all probably out bid the Brewers at any point. I also think this shows the shine isn't completely off of a guy like Ray.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

So...this is on Sonny Gray in regards to talks with the Yankees...IF this is the package headliner(s), anyone want to re examine saying Gray would cost too much?? Remember...they would also be getting Yonder Alonso in this deal..Florial is #71, and Mateo is not even a top 100 prospect...if those are the two headliners to the deal..are you telling me the Brewers couldn't have easily beat that WITHOUT touching Brinson or even one of the Pitching prospecs??

Feinsand notes that colleague Jon Morosi reported the Athletics’ interest in center field prospect Estevan Florial earlier today and adds infield/outfield prospect Jorge Mateo could also be a part of talks.

So...this is on Sonny Gray in regards to talks with the Yankees...IF this is the package headliner(s), anyone want to re examine saying Gray would cost too much?? Remember...they would also be getting Yonder Alonso in this deal..Florial is #71, and Mateo is not even a top 100 prospect...if those are the two headliners to the deal..are you telling me the Brewers couldn't have easily beat that WITHOUT touching Brinson or even one of the Pitching prospecs??

Feinsand notes that colleague Jon Morosi reported the Athletics’ interest in center field prospect Estevan Florial earlier today and adds infield/outfield prospect Jorge Mateo could also be a part of talks.

IF this is the package, IF.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived