Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

Scouts go far a final checking/eye test on players.

He could get shelled today, but if a scout liked his velocity and the consistency on the break in his curveball, it could actually seal the deal on a trade.

His overall value will not fluctuate much however like it would for some owner in your fantasy baseball league. lol

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could get shelled today, but if a scout liked his velocity and the consistency on the break in his curveball, it could actually seal the deal on a trade.

His overall value will not fluctuate much however like it would for some owner in your fantasy baseball league. lol

Tongue in cheek comments coming from the guy advocating letting Oakland have an open house at our prospect store for a mid-rotation starter with a ton of red flags and only 2 years of team control. We should see if they'd also want Arcia and Nelson in your prospect giveaway.

The current players put themselves in position to contend THIS season. I agree that Stearns owes it to the team to address areas of need via the trade market. Especially when the GMs of the teams you are contending with are doing as such. The Cubs and Dbacks just acquired huge upgrades with Quintana and JD Martinez. And neither team OVERPAID.

With the Yankees big move, I think they will be out on Sonny Gray now. I also think the Astros will focus on bullpen help over rotation help, with McHugh coming off the DL for them.

I think the Brewers are still the frontrunners for Sonny. I'm starting to be hopeful that his price will not be as high I we feared it could be.

Rosenthal reporting that Brett Phillips would be included in a deal for Gray makes me hopeful that we can acquire him without Brinson now.

Brewers get:

RHP Sonny Gray

A's get:

OF Brett Phillips

RHP Brandon Woodruff or RHP Luis Ortiz

MI Mauricio Dubon or Isan Diaz

RHP Freddy Peralta or Marcos Diplan

If the Brewers can land Gray AND keep both Brinson and Hader, I'd be absolutely giddy.

Holding onto Corey Ray and Monte Harrison would also be a coup, IMO.

Heck, we'll even throw in Taylor Jungmann or Wily Peralta for free! (mostly to clear a spot on the 40-man, lol)

Oakland would be the perfect spot for either of those players to salvage their career at this point.

I still think this deal needs to get done ASAP.

So it takes 2 top 100 prospects to get Quintana and what was it a 15 and 35 team prospect?...But for us it will take 1.5 top 100 prospects as well as 2.5 top 10 team prospects...or all 4 top ten team prospects to get Gray?

I'm so high on Woodruff that if he's included in the trade it's him and some 10-20 prospect within the team and that's it. I just feel Woodruff will produce better than Gray come 2018 and possible the rest of this season. He offers so much better velocity with his height...downward plane! over Gray who could be a launching pad at 5'10" here or the height Thornburg is and moved to the bullpen.

I foresee a lot of SPs to trade for in the offseason who's value could be down, but really promising with multiple years of control left. I think the big years some of the Brewers prospects are having will shoot them in to the top 100 or conversation to be in. But at the moment we are being hurt in the top 100 rankings.

Just hang on to what you've been doing and tinker with the bullpen which already was 1 move. God, the Woodruff injury may curse this team by missing his potential and overreacting by trading studs away for a flop and ruin this rebuild.

Today's matchup of Gray against the Rays should make things a little more clear. However, the Rays are a swing and miss team and could make Gray look like a stud today. If Gray implodes against the Rays, it might bring down the cost significantly.

No Gray's value is already set one game is not going to move his value one way or the other.

Then why do teams even send scouts to these deadline games if that was the case???

They send scouts to determine if the player is at that value or not. The scouts report back what they saw and the valuation starts again. The results are meaningless unless the scouts see something like a possible injury or something that is going wrong mechanically. But those assessments usually mean don't trade for that player.

Community Moderator
With Gray making his start today it made me wonder if there has ever been a mid-game #HugWatch for a major league starter that was pitching at the time? Would assume no since if anything was even fairly close they would likely scratch the starter. Gray's next scheduled starts with the A's would be July 25th and July 30th.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

With Gray making his start today it made me wonder if there has ever been a mid-game #HugWatch for a major league starter that was pitching at the time? Would assume no since if anything was even fairly close they would likely scratch the starter. Gray's next scheduled starts with the A's would be July 25th and July 30th.

I feel like it happens a decent amount for position players, but never for starters. I remember seeing Pence get pulled off the field and emotional in the Astros clubhouse before anything was officially announced of his trade to the Giants. I'd have to think all the media types would be all over that kind of thing.

Tongue in cheek comments coming from the guy advocating letting Oakland have an open house at our prospect store for a mid-rotation starter with a ton of red flags and only 2 years of team control. We should see if they'd also want Arcia and Nelson in your prospect giveaway.

How often do elite pitchers (since you seem to believe Gray is elite) get shelled when they have their A-game velocity and break on their secondary pitches? Point being nobody ever says "he could get shelled today" when speaking about the likes of Kershaw, Bumgarner, Sale, Scherzer (all elite pitchers).

If I'm Stearns I am passing on Gray if the price is as high as it is after today's outing. I would need to see another start from Gray.

I'm passing on him too except for a very minimal return (which won't happen).

Forget it now, DS just sat back and watched his team gag away the division. Thanks for the help to the rotation/bullpen and shot in the arm DS! Hope his plan works, because it would be a damn shame if this is as close as they come to contending the next 3-4 years and DS just sat on his hands. He has to own it. I would think the ultra competitive Attanasio would be on his to get something done too. Oh well, was fun well it lasted. Obviously no trades will be happening.

Forget it now, DS just sat back and watched his team gag away the division. Thanks for the help to the rotation/bullpen and shot in the arm DS! Hope his plan works, because it would be a damn shame if this is as close as they come to contending the next 3-4 years and DS just sat on his hands. He has to own it. I would think the ultra competitive Attanasio would be on his to get something done too. Oh well, was fun well it lasted. Obviously no trades will be happening.

Gray would not have helped at all over the course of the last 5 games. I am not sure how Gray was going to help the Brewers core more than 2.4 runs a game. Even with Gray's outing today I doubt the Brewers would have won today or even adding another bullpen arm wouldn't have helped. You are not going to win all that many games scoring on average 2.4 runs a game.

Gray would not have helped at all over the course of the last 5 games. I am not sure how Gray was going to help the Brewers core more than 2.4 runs a game. Even with Gray's outing today I doubt the Brewers would have won today or even adding another bullpen arm wouldn't have helped. You are not going to win all that many games scoring on average 2.4 runs a game.

So True, this game with the pitching matchup whether Davies or Gray is a bad matchup for Milwaukee. Gray can only pitch 1 every 5 days....We've lost 4 straight, he'd be on deck for game 5 of this losing streak. Bullpen has blown the last four games, not the Starters....

Some of you are in full panic mode and it is hysterical.

^this.... people need to "R-E-L-A-X" worst case scenario is we don't make playoffs which I believe 100% of us thought prior to season and don't trade away farm in doing so. Playoffs are cool but we have holes on this team. They can be filled internally for some but those guys will also experience failure that will not help team make run. Like Arica & Santana, chances are small that Brinson & Phillips can just play every day & help carry this team. The Bellinger's, Lindor's, Braun's are the exception.... not the rule. Woody & Hader would also have there ups & downs along the way. At end of day though, that experience they get will help them be ready to take off in 2018. 1st place can't risk that development curve. By the end of July & that brutal stretch we have, we will know where our season is headed.

Also I didn't know Gray had an impact bat or was going to pitch in relief for us..... Starters are doing there jobs during this stretch. Davies can't get his usual 8-10 runs of support every 5th day. Just figures the day he pitches great is day bats are dead (outside of Aguilar & Santana).

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

So True, this game with the pitching matchup whether Davies or Gray is a bad matchup for Milwaukee. Gray can only pitch 1 every 5 days....We've lost 4 straight, he'd be on deck for game 5 of this losing streak. Bullpen has blown the last four games, not the Starters....

Quintana made one start. The Cubs are roaring. Silly or not it cannot be denied that making that deal woke them up and pulled them out of the malaise they had been in the whole first half.

Quintana made one start. The Cubs are roaring. Silly or not it cannot be denied that making that deal woke them up and pulled them out of the malaise they had been in the whole first half.

It could have just as easily been the 4 day break. The same break that we went into winning 10 of 12 and came out of 2-4. The cubs have some tougher games coming up. Hopefully they'll cool off to some degree and we'll start scoring runs again. If not, this is the beginning of hopefully sustained success if everything goes to plan

Can I just add that just because certain people are suggesting we need Gray or another starter that doesn't mean we are "panicking" or "freaking out". Repeating "R-E-L-A-X" doesn't help much. I do agree we shouldn't read too much into the past few days but the fact is the Brewers have several starters who are pitching over their heads, namely Nelson and Anderson, and getting a guy like Gray who, short of one injury plagued season, has been a pretty solid pitcher would help not only this year but the next few years as well. Who cares if he is an "ace" or not. He's a solid pitcher. Next year we'll lose Garza. Who knows if Guerra gets it together or if Woodruff is ready but Gray would probably be our best starter. So it's not just about helping hold off the Cubs it's about making our team better for the next several seasons. We clearly have the prospects to get him. We have at least six guys who could be playing every day in the outfield right now so let's trade one or two of them while their value is still high.

My offer for Gray would be headlined by Phillips and Hader along with two lower ceiling guys. I just can't pull the trigger on moving Brinson. He should be our every day CF next year. But I think if the A's insist on Brinson they're not being realistic.

Archived