Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray- Let's GO FOR IT! Here's a plan...

I'd rather the shot in the arm be woodruff/sogard coming back in a week or two... or Anderson next month. Panicking over a 5 game stretch for a "shot in the arm" is absolutely not the right decision here.

I'm not sure relying on a pitcher whose never pitched a major league inning or two guys who are back from fairly significant injuries is the best decision either. By the time you know what you have in Woodruff and you see if Anderson is the same Anderson as he was before he got hurt you're opportunity to get a quality player will be gone. We have an amazing amount of depth in the outfield. Unfortunately we can't have six guys playing the outfield a the same time so unless you think it's a good idea to keep guys like Brinson and Phillips either in the minors or on the bench then you best trade someone to help alleviate the logjam (and yes it is a logjam at this point).

Trading from a huge area of depth to acquire a solid MLB player with multiple years of control on a very reasonable contact is not as big a risk as some are making it out to be.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Rosenthal:

● Brett Phillips would figure to be part of any Brewers offer to Oakland for Gray; the A’s need a center fielder, and the Brewers probably would prefer to keep their two top prospects according to MLBPipeline.com, Lewis Brinson and Corey Ray.

The Brewers’ system is strong enough for them to put together a package for Gray without Brinson; Ray, the fifth overall pick out of Louisville in the 2016 draft, is struggling offensively in the High-A Carolina League.

Phillips joined the Brewers for the second time this season after the All-Star break. He batted .293 with 17 homers and a .940 OPS in the thin air at Triple-A Colorado Springs.

DS not doing anything sends a bad message to the players...almost as if to say "You guys are a fluke, I don't believe in you, so I'm not going to do anything to upgrade the roster". The players have done their jobs and have put themselves in a position no one believed they'd be in....now it's time for Stearns to do his...before it's too late(and frankly it might already be).

I'd rather the shot in the arm be woodruff/sogard coming back in a week or two... or Anderson next month. Panicking over a 5 game stretch for a "shot in the arm" is absolutely not the right decision here.

I'm not sure relying on a pitcher whose never pitched a major league inning or two guys who are back from fairly significant injuries is the best decision either. By the time you know what you have in Woodruff and you see if Anderson is the same Anderson as he was before he got hurt you're opportunity to get a quality player will be gone. We have an amazing amount of depth in the outfield. Unfortunately we can't have six guys playing the outfield a the same time so unless you think it's a good idea to keep guys like Brinson and Phillips either in the minors or on the bench then you best trade someone to help alleviate the logjam (and yes it is a logjam at this point).

Trading from a huge area of depth to acquire a solid MLB player with multiple years of control on a very reasonable contact is not as big a risk as some are making it out to be.

Not to mention the other is a career sub .250 hitter with zero power that had been enjoying a hot stretch.

DS not doing anything sends a bad message to the players...almost as if to say "You guys are a fluke, I don't believe in you, so I'm not going to do anything to upgrade the roster". The players have done their jobs and have put themselves in a position no one believed they'd be in....now it's time for Stearns to do his...before it's too late(and frankly it might already be).

Could Stearns saying that actually be the correct move?

Why does it say that? Why couldn't it say "You guys are awesome and got us this far, we believe this group can take us all the way".

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Sterns put them in this situation to begin with

Not to mention the other is a career sub .250 hitter with zero power that had been enjoying a hot stretch.

The right trade is one thing. Panicking over losing 3 out of 5 and overpaying is another. I'm not opposed to a trade that has ray or Philips as the center piece and doesn't touch our top 10 prospects aside from 1 of those 2. Keep in mind gray is an undersized, injury prone, rh pitcher without elite velocity. He also posted an era in the 5s last year. He'd also be moving from a pitcher friendly to hitter friendly park. Lots of red flags and things to consider.

Or not doing anything is showing he believes that this team as is can make a run at the division...

The other point worth making is acquiring Gray would set the Brewers rotation going forward with Nelson, Anderson and Gray. That's three pretty good young starters with upside.

Garza has a cheap club option for next year, then there's Davies, Guerra, Souter, with Woodruff knocking on the door and others not far behind. Milwaukee has not had that quality of depth in their rotation in 30+ years.

The other point worth making is acquiring Gray would set the Brewers rotation going forward with Nelson, Anderson and Gray. That's three pretty good young starters with upside.

Garza has a cheap club option for next year, then there's Davies, Guerra, Souter, with Woodruff knocking on the door and others not far behind. Milwaukee has not had that quality of depth in their rotation in 30+ years.

Define Young - Anderson turns 30 in 3 months

R...E...L...A...X

Why? It's easier to panic. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Stearns going forward with the current group of 1st place players, that he assembled, and not trading any of them, indicates to them that he does not believe in them .

If he traded for someone externally, replacing one or more of the current players who have "done their jobs", and perhaps trading others currently within our organization, that would indicate to the players that he does believe in them .

Ok.

The current players put themselves in position to contend THIS season. I agree that Stearns owes it to the team to address areas of need via the trade market. Especially when the GMs of the teams you are contending with are doing as such. The Cubs and Dbacks just acquired huge upgrades with Quintana and JD Martinez. And neither team OVERPAID.

With the Yankees big move, I think they will be out on Sonny Gray now. I also think the Astros will focus on bullpen help over rotation help, with McHugh coming off the DL for them.

I think the Brewers are still the frontrunners for Sonny. I'm starting to be hopeful that his price will not be as high I we feared it could be.

Rosenthal reporting that Brett Phillips would be included in a deal for Gray makes me hopeful that we can acquire him without Brinson now.

Brewers get:

RHP Sonny Gray

A's get:

OF Brett Phillips

RHP Brandon Woodruff or RHP Luis Ortiz

MI Mauricio Dubon or Isan Diaz

RHP Freddy Peralta or Marcos Diplan

If the Brewers can land Gray AND keep both Brinson and Hader, I'd be absolutely giddy.

Holding onto Corey Ray and Monte Harrison would also be a coup, IMO.

Heck, we'll even throw in Taylor Jungmann or Wily Peralta for free! (mostly to clear a spot on the 40-man, lol)

Oakland would be the perfect spot for either of those players to salvage their career at this point.

I still think this deal needs to get done ASAP.

Rosenthal reporting that Brett Phillips would be included in a deal for Gray makes me hopeful that we can acquire him without Brinson now.

Brewers get:

RHP Sonny Gray

A's get:

OF Brett Phillips

Lord have mercy! That would be a tremendous overpay by the Brewers!!!! I could see a deal like that for Stroman, but Gray? Wow

You do understand that in 2016/2017 combined Gray has a 4.86 ERA (with a pitchers park as a home field) with a 1.354 WHIP and an 84 ERA+

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm not against making this move or upgrading. I just think the theory that doing nothing is a message to the players that he doesn't believe in them is ridiculous. It indicates the opposite if anything.

Brewers get:

RHP Sonny Gray

A's get:

OF Brett Phillips

Lord have mercy! That would be a tremendous overpay by the Brewers!!!! I could see a deal like that for Stroman, but Gray? Wow

You do understand that in 2016/2017 combined Gray has a 4.86 ERA (with a pitchers park as a home field) with a 1.354 WHIP and an 84 ERA+

Agreed. In no way does Stearns make a deal like this without vastly overpaying. For Stroman this would be a fair deal. For Gray this is a disaster. And stearns owes the organization his best, not this year's current team in my humble opinion. Those aren't necessarily the same thing.

I am growing quite fond of Phillips and his defensive ability in the OF. If the Brewers truly do not have to part with Brinson or Hader, I would start with a package of Ray and Harrison and see if they bite on a lesser SP prospect like Medeiros. Additionally, I would be willing to toss in Broxton if they need an MLB player now.

Ray, Harrison, Medeiros and Broxton for Gray seems enough for me. Platoon Brinson and Phillips in CF for the rest of the season and play one in LF when Braun needs a day off.

This would be my ideal scenario for the Brewers at the deadline.

That proposal is actually an underpay for what Gray will actually cost.

You guys are drinking too much prospect kool-aid.

This proposal only has the Crew parting with one Top 100 prospect for Gray. (Woodruff #43 or Ortiz #67)

Y'all not just nuts...YOU CRAZY!!!!

Brewers get:

RHP Sonny Gray

A's get:

OF Brett Phillips

I have to third this, wow wow wow what an overpay. I wouldn't give woodruff on his own for gray. I could be talked into Philips and dubon and that's it, maximum. Anything over that is an overpay. Gray is not a frontline starter.

Agreed. In no way does Stearns make a deal like this without vastly overpaying. For Stroman this would be a fair deal. For Gray this is a disaster. And stearns owes the organization his best, not this year's current team in my humble opinion. Those aren't necessarily the same thing.

I'm not against making this move or upgrading. I just think the theory that doing nothing is a message to the players that he doesn't believe in them is ridiculous. It indicates the opposite if anything.

Can't disagree more. You think the Cubs saw the acquisition of Quintana as management not believing in them? It reinforced that they believed in them. The 82 Brewers were a veteran talented team with 3 HOFers and in first place. When Sutton arrived, they knew management wanted it all, just like them. They were energized, even though Sutton really was just okay until the big money last game. Players would see a significant acquisition now as a signal that management believes in them.

This is more like 92. That Brewer team fought like heck to stay with the Blue Jays, but when the Jays went out and got David Cone while the Brewers did absolutely nothing, it was basically over.

Archived