Brewer Fanatic

BP Midseason Top 50 - Brinson #10, Diaz #38

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/7/6/15928642/brewers-lewis-brinson-isan-diaz-baseball-prospectus-midseason-top-50

What an interesting development. How does Diaz go up over 20 spots? He had a pretty good month or so to start the year as I recall but the bottom fell out quite a while back, and he's only now just starting to figure it out again.

Also, is the Carolina League considered "extremely" pitcher friendly? I thought we were a fan of Carolina over Brevard County because it was a more balanced environment as opposed to the extreme pitcher friendliness of BC.

FWIW, this is the first list where I've seen Mejia ranked higher than Brinson (#3 vs. #10).

The Carolina League overall is much more moderate than the FSL in terms of offense, but the park in Zebulon is a pretty extreme pitcher's park. Not to the extent of the Manatees' old park, but the Mudcats' stadium has been in the lowest quartile of run environments in the minor leagues.

One of the numerous reasons you can't just look at OPS.

Unless they are playing in the Grand Canyon, it's hard to see Diaz ranked as the 38th best prospect in baseball.

Unless, you know, there is, like, more to it than a stat line.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The sound of the ball off the bat could easily rate him #38. More to being a prospect than stats.... While he has been down, Diaz can flat out square up on every ball & hit hard balls all over the field. Sometimes it's bad luck, sometimes mental, or maybe mechanical... doesn't change that he is a major prospect in minor league baseball.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived