Brewer Fanatic

When is Arcia going to be moved up in the order?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea not sure how diehards who would frequent this board have missed that he's been doing really well since mid-May. At the very least you have to get him up to 6th and have CF and 2B behind him.

And I'd add it's been fairly consistent, not some massive streakiness like Broxton or Thames have done.

Arcias OBP abilities are improving and will continue to improve. Him leading off means the power guys like Braun and Santana could possibly bat with runners on. That would require Counsell to change his lineup and not change it back in a day or 2 though

1-Arica

2-Santana

3-Shaw

4-Braun

5-Thames

6-pina

Followed by the garbage

Braun isn't batting 4th. He will hit 2nd or 3rd. Most likely 3rd until he retires or falls off a cliff.

He should bat where he fits best and only that should matter but I think you also may be right. But flip Braun and Santana to keep L/R balance and it's still a good lineup

Why are we moving the guy with the .327 OBP to leadoff?

Because his OBP since June 1st is above .380...

False.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Because his OBP since June 1st is above .380...

False.

Yeah that's way off. But considering his OBP in April and May was 274 and 309, a 327 OBP overall shows he's inproving in that area. He wouldn't be ideal lead off but the best on the current roster (unless they trade for Jed Lowrie like I stated in another thread)

his OBP since June 1 is actually .355. his slash has been .308/.355/.827

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

All I know is Arcia hasnt crashed with the bat since the ASB, and it's sickening seeing him 8/9 getting hits when the rest arent atop the order.

Shake up the batting order already its tiring to be so pathetic at scoring runs since the ASB

Arcia, Shaw, Santana, Braun, Thames, Pina, 2b, CF.

Arcia had 4 hits in his previous 22 AB heading into Tampa. If that doesn't scream HOT I don't know what does. Since June 1 he's been great like others have said and showed using his slash line. But how about since July 6 (one calendar month)? Since then he's slashing 253/313/709. Now lets rewind to July 6 again but remove the Tampa series this weekend making it a 23 game stretch until last Fri - he was slashing 222/292/564. If there's one word I'd use to describe Arcia more recently it sure as hell wouldn't be HOT.

Clearing the pitcher's spot in the order is massively beneficial and in the AL if you have a 9 hitter that is a second leadoff then even better. He's been in the 8 hole the entire year; he's still developing as a hitter in his first full season and literally just turned 23. We're not talking about the next Corey Seager here. Let him sit in the 8 hole and continue to develop overall, including his consistency.

Should Counsell move everybody around in the order when they're on fire? The entire offense has been inconsistent and unlucky the past 3-4 weeks. The top of the order has had really good AB they're just not getting on base. But neither has Arcia - as proven above.

None of this would even matter if Villar pulled his head out of his arse and played ball for the last 50 games. That's what this dang team needs. He's a spark that's has been spark-less.

Put Arcia there, fine. When he's hot, it'll be good. When he's not, I guess it'll be just like it is now with stinky Sogard there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Think of it like this. He for sure has to be in the top 6 right now since he's clearly one of the top 6 hitters. And they need to start bunching as many hits together as possible to get things going. So, where do you think he makes most sense, #6 or #1? Those would be the two options for him imo. I'd lean towards #1 due to the speed aspects of having him on in front Santana, Braun, Shaw. And generally having less power than the other 5 besides Pina. That's how simply I look at it right now. It would also give you a basically set 1-5 every games instead of so much flip flopping around every day. The guys moving in and out of the lineup would be C, 2b, CF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
None of this would even matter if Villar pulled his head out of his arse and played ball for the last 50 games. That's what this dang team needs. He's a spark that's has been spark-less.

Put Arcia there, fine. When he's hot, it'll be good. When he's not, I guess it'll be just like it is now with stinky Sogard there.

This! This is 100% correct. The Brewers came into this season with huge expectations for Villar to be an exciting table-setter at the top of the line-up, and his struggles have been the biggest culprit for the offensive inconsistency. It is great to see Arcia starting to find his stroke, but he's first and foremost in there for his defense. With their skillsets, Broxton and Brinson/Phillips should be top-of-the-order-type bats as well, but for whatever reason, each has failed miserably when given opportunities leading off. Sogard's hot hitting when first called up is the only thing keeping the lead-off spot from being a black-hole all season.

Heck, of the regular batters in the line-up, Braun's skillset probably lends itself most to the lead-off spot. It would be nice if he'd volunteer to do it until Villar/Sogard/Broxton get into a hot streak.

I want the best 4 hitters hitting 1-4. I don't care what order. Arcia is clearly not one of the best 4 hitters in the lineup.... yet.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I want the best 4 hitters hitting 1-4. I don't care what order. Arcia is clearly not one of the best 4 hitters in the lineup.... yet.

Agreed, and not just anyone can hit 8th either. I'm certain the Brewers front office and Craig Counsell are looking at metrics much more advanced than "Batting average and OBP since June 1st"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Jonathan Villar is not the reason an entire line up is garbage...sorry that is just wrong. They did pretty good when he sucked the rest of the year. Why is the last month or so his fault suddenly? The offense sucks for a lot of other reasons.

Jonathan Villar is not the reason an entire line up is garbage...sorry that is just wrong. They did pretty good when he sucked the rest of the year. Why is the last month or so his fault suddenly? The offense sucks for a lot of other reasons.

They succeeded a lot because of Sogard playing superman for a bit. It's not all on Villar butut the struggles of this team right now do relate back to Villar being a pile. And that comes from one of his actual supporters here. It's a trickle down effect.

Because he's been the most consistent hitter on the roster since mid May and you want your best hitters getting the most plate appearances? What's so hard to understand? The top 4 should be Arcia, Santana, Braun and Shaw. If someone else gets hot, and one of those 4 cools down considerably then make another change. It's not rocket science. What's nonsensical is not moving Arcia up because that would somehow put too much pressure on him. My goodness, Arcia exudes condidence.

When the rest of the lineup was hitting they could afford a hole at the top. They no longer have that luxury.

Because he's been the most consistent hitter on the roster since mid May and you want your best hitters getting the most plate appearances? What's so hard to understand? The top 4 should be Arcia, Santana, Braun and Shaw. If someone else gets hot, and one of those 4 cools down considerably then make another change. It's not rocket science. What's nonsensical is not moving Arcia up because that would somehow put too much pressure on him. My goodness, Arcia exudes condidence.

He hasn't been. He had a .700 OPS in July. He's clearly not a better hitter than Thames or Aguilar.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

OBP over the last 30 days for guys who are currently available:

1) Braun .368

2) Shaw .365

3) Pina .359

4) Thames .323

5) Santana .312

6) Arcia .311

7) Broxton .277

8) Perez .274

9) Villar .241

10) Aguilar .231

11) Sogard .139

12) Susac .000

Not really a lot there to work with. I'd probably go with Santana, Thames, Braun, Shaw, Pina, Broxton, Arcia, Villar/Sogard, Pitcher with Perez filling in as needed.

As to Arcia, I'd move Villar/Sogard to #8, so Arcia should move up at least one spot. Broxton's on a bit of a hot streak now, so I'd keep him ahead of Arcia for now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived