Brewer Fanatic

2017-07-03: Orioles (Miley) at Brewers (Suter) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-1]

hawing
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a fast worker and ball moves. Like Glavine. I like Suter

I've always liked watching him play. The pace, as well as his general demeanor. I think he's earned a chance at a second start in Andersons spot.

Disappointed to see Suter again. He is not a MLB arm. He's Espino from the other side. Boo.

I guess I shall eat my words! Nice start, didn't see that comimg. Either did the Orioles apparently.

It is hard, when you know you are getting a spot start, to get excited about someone who throws 87 with the wind at his back when you have young "unknown" options that you could turn to.

You get a pass for not being excited ... but kudos to Suter for throwing strikes all day. Go Crew!

Did pina fart in that at bat against machado? The ump just came from behind the plate kinda waving his hand infront of his face.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Orioles are swinging through Suter's pitches like he is throwing a knuckleball or something....lol

7 ks through 4

Not going to say that Suter is going to be great or ever good but if you throw strikes you get outs. Especially if you have stuff like him and are throwing pitches 10 MPH slower than what batters are used to seeing.

They also have never seen him. I don't think anyone in the Baltimore lineup had an at bat against him. Given time to adjust this wouldn't be the norm, but great spot start. Keeps our BP way ahead of theirs on innings.

Verified Member
Are the Orioles that bad or is Suter that good? He did well in his 6 innings of work. He just might have earned an extended stay in Milwaukee until Chase gets back.

Are the Orioles that bad or is Suter that good? He did well in his 6 innings of work. He just might have earned an extended stay in Milwaukee until Chase gets back.

Based on his numbers in the minors in 2015-2016, I think this kind of outing (a quality start) is what Suter can do if given a shot.

A lot of it depends on just giving him a shot and cutting out the constant shuffling (Milwaukee-Colorado Springs, bullpen/rotation). But this outing, his dominance in the pen last season, is why I have had him at #1 the last few ballots.

Based on his numbers in the minors in 2015-2016, I think this kind of outing (a quality start) is what Suter can do if given a shot.

A lot of it depends on just giving him a shot and cutting out the constant shuffling (Milwaukee-Colorado Springs, bullpen/rotation). But this outing, his dominance in the pen last season, is why I have had him at #1 the last few ballots.

IMHO Suter's ceiling is probably something like Doug Davis.

I think Suter's stuff is going to work very well against certain teams. If you have a work the count, swing for the fences team he'll probably do well since they'll take that first pitch strike and be down 0-1 and then they'll start swinging from their shoes because, hey, he throws really slow so watch how far I can hit this ball. On the other hand if he goes up against a high AVG, contact oriented team I think they'll hit him around pretty good because he throws so many strikes.

Brent Suter can probably do good in a spot starter role. I just don't see that many dominant outings long term and I think he would be prone to too many stinker type outings.

As mentioned the type of team he faces will have a big effect.

Verified Member
Arcia now hitting .293. The kid is hitting well to go with his exceptional defense and as we saw today his exceptional base running. All Star caliber.

Arcia now hitting .293. The kid is hitting well to go with his exceptional defense and as we saw today his exceptional base running. All Star caliber.

.295 I believe, actually.

Definitely close to All Star caliber. So many good SS these days. Years ago I feel like it was a weakness, but now there are so many good ones and more on the way.

I'm not sure what we saw today was exceptional base running. He is out 95% of the time there in that rundown.

I'm not sure what we saw today was exceptional base running. He is out 95% of the time there in that rundown.

Obviously he was strategically overslidng the base.

.295 I believe, actually.

Definitely close to All Star caliber. So many good SS these days. Years ago I feel like it was a weakness, but now there are so many good ones and more on the way.

I thought the same thing with catchers. Seems like everyone has a good young catcher. Teams really emphasizing getting good athletes up the middle.

Whatever ones view of the play today, he's been a very good baserunner (But not basestealer) this year from what I've seen. Looking to see if the stats agree with that I see that Fangraphs UBR rating has him 3rd best in the majors, behind Goldschmidt and Bogaerts. His stealing has been poor, but by their BsR stat (Which combines UBR, stealing, and GDPs) he's still ranked 13th in the majors. Now one can argue about how exact these stats are, but it would at least indicate he's a comparatively good baserunner.

Not going to say that Suter is going to be great or ever good but if you throw strikes you get outs. Especially if you have stuff like him and are throwing pitches 10 MPH slower than what batters are used to seeing.

Which should help out Nelson at the start of tomorrows game.

On Shaw, it looked like he was hit on outside/bottom of his palm. That spot that goes numb when it strikes something wrong. Cant be good for next few days. May be a DL through the AS break.

On Arcia's scored run in a rundown, catcher while say 25-30feet from home plate immediately throws back to whos up the third base line. Arcia turns back to home plate where defenders hadnt established themselves and with say 38feet to score, made it. Catcher error. All guy had to do was walk up third base another 10feet or more to where Arcia had more ground to run to score vs getting back to 3rd. And so someone was standing at home vs running to the plate. Id think thats a 98% of time an out with an error being the only time he scores.

Great Win. Early runs likely helped Suters confidence. Hope Shaws injury not bad.

Let's bounce this guy in the 2nd and have their bullpen take up 7+ innings in game 1.

Six innings, the home team didn't have to bat the ninth. :)

Although, they only gave up the gift run and also produced an RBI.

Archived