Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-30: Marlins (Volquez) at Brewers (Garza) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2: Stephen Vogt Dinger Show]

hawing
I don't understand why you would ever let the pitcher bat for himself and then pull him in a 1 run game. What is the harm in throwing Braun or Thames in there and giving them a chance to tie it?

I agree 100%. What is the logic of letting Garza hit and then replace him? Did he tweak something? Especially with Braun and Thames available you need to at least take the chance.

The way it sounded Thames isn't available. That would make for the short bench and the reason why you can't burn a PH that early.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why you would ever let the pitcher bat for himself and then pull him in a 1 run game. What is the harm in throwing Braun or Thames in there and giving them a chance to tie it?

Ideally you would want one of those guys hitting with men on base and being the 5th inning you can give them a chance to pinch hit later on anyway. Just didn't feel it was the right situation only being the 5th inning? Maybe using a pinch hitter in that situation is wasteful? How many times does that pinch hitter honestly start some kind of rally statistically? I am perfectly OK not using a pinch hitter there.

I agree 100%. What is the logic of letting Garza hit and then replace him? Did he tweak something? Especially with Braun and Thames available you need to at least take the chance.

The way it sounded Thames isn't available. That would make for the short bench and the reason why you can't burn a PH that early.

Hadn't heard that, but I'd still use a PH in a 1 run game.

Given that Thames has been terrible lately and we already have a short bench, if he's unavailable for the 2nd straight day, why in the world is he not on the DL?

Sedar works for the Marlins now apparently. One of the dumbest sends I've ever seen. Yeah Knebel strikes out a lot of guys but you have two chances to get that run in and chances are the Brewers are going to concede the first run to prevent the second run from scoring.

Archived