Brewer Fanatic

Anderson to DL , Lopez called up from AA

patrickgpe

The rotation is Hader's long-term home unless they're extremely short-sighted and think 4 bad starts in AAA this year is all the evidence they need to determine his future in MLB. But it's best for the "team" for him to stay in the pen for 2017 to team up with Knebel and Barnes at the back. Especially when someone like Woodruff can step in the rotation once he's off the DL. In the meantime, there are other internal options to fill in for a couple starts or Stearns can grab someone off the scrap heap to take the final 40 man spot.

Side vent: Hader has thrown 8.1ip on the year and has improved each outing. He has 3BB in his last 5ip. 2 of those were McCutchen (was killing the ball) and Votto (last night). People can continue to reference his BB9 but I'll gladly put those guys on base in close games when they're killing it in order to get the next guy out. Hader's given up 1 hit thus far, is getting his first exposure to MLB and is in a role he hasn't been in since 2015 with Houston (when he was mainly a rotation guy still too). People shouldn't throw around his BB9 rate in 8.1ip of work without using it in the same context (on the surface) previously in his career. Like maybe his past 264ip between A+ (2014) and AA (2015/2016) where he has a 3.14 BB9. And yes, pitching in CS is pointless. Guerra was 3.2 last year and is 5.4 this year. How many people saying Guerra needs to be removed because he's walking people left and right.

Espino and Jungmann are what they are. I'd personally rather give Wilkerson a shot until Woodruff is back to take this spot.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm going to the game Monday too and I live out of state at this point so it will be the only game at Miller park i see all year. Don't want to see Espino pitch.

I did get to see the one game they won at Atlanta at least.

i'm thinking that taylor jungmann gets the start monday. he last pitched sunday, so we'll see if he's held back or on a restricted pitch count tomorrow in omaha.

jungmann will enter 2018 with no options remaining, so this is a good time for the brewers to see what they've got in him.

This is exactly my thought, this will be Jungmann's last shot to keep a spot with the Brewers. I don't think he is the long term answer, but we have seen he can put together a great month and a half.

You can get Hader back up to 90 pitches over the course of a few abbreviated starts, and you have Espino to basically piggyback him in those starts.

Or Suter. We have multiple options in the bullpen to eat up innings while Hader steadily increases his pitch count/work load.

[sarcasm]I want Suter to start, for if no other reason than to get him to 50 innings by the time the next Top 25 prospect vote takes place.[/sarcasm] (Reillymcshane, if you can conveniently forget about that for a month or so that would be great.)

Carlos Martinez, Lance Lynn, Chris Sale all spent their first season in the majors in the bullpen and it didn't hurt their development at all.

Haven't we seen enough of Jungmann? It is pretty obvious what he is.

Evidently not or the Brewers wouldn't have used a 40 man spot on him. And if they were going to do that and he is actually pitching good in the minors, then it is time for the proverbial last chance. Plus he is stretched out versus most of the other options.

Espino deserves a start. Lopez deserves a start. Yungman deserves a start. Nice situation.

How exactly does Lopez deserve a start? He has trouble at AA and is even worse when he pitches in AAA. If anyone deserved a spot it was Wilkerson.

Not sure how any of those guys deserves a start.

Haven't we seen enough of Jungmann? It is pretty obvious what he is.

Evidently not or the Brewers wouldn't have used a 40 man spot on him. And if they were going to do that and he is actually pitching good in the minors, then it is time for the proverbial last chance. Plus he is stretched out versus most of the other options.

Let me be more specific. Haven't we seen enough of Taylor Jungmann to know what he is capable of? His fastball is not very good and without amazing control it turns into batting practice really quick. Not sure 30 innings at AAA as a 27 year old with extensive experience in AA or above really means much.

Jungmann was almost unhittable 2 years ago throwing a 96 mph fastball that was moving everywhere. In fact it looked like 3 different fastballs. Then all he had to do was get the curveball near the plate. Then When he came in last year all of the sudden he was throwing 88-90 and it was straight as an arrow. It's not a situation of if he is good or not, it's if he got back his velocity or not. And if you think a few ticks and movemnt on 1 pitch shouldn't make that much difference just look at chase anderson this season. His CoS results so far this year suggest maybe his help is back up, here to hoping!

jungmann will enter 2018 with no options remaining, so this is a good time for the brewers to see what they've got in him.

tyler cravy is another player that will enter 2018 with no options remaining. it's very conceivable that the brewers will mix in a traveling carousel of players who have already burned an option in 2017: jorge lopez, taylor jungmann, paolo espino, tyler cravy and an activated and rehabbed brandon woodruff (no option burned yet, see below).

an optioned player has to stay down for 10 days, but given the presumed health of all of the aforementioned optionable guys (plus josh hader and brent suter), it'd be easy to manage this revolving door for the next month or two.

it should be noted that woodruff has all three minor league options intact, and that he can have a minor league rehab assignment of up to 30 days before being activated on the disabled list. thus, it's conceivable that he wouldn't be activated until august, could make a start, be optioned for 10 days, be recalled to make another start, be optioned for 10 days and then recalled for good into september when rosters can expand. if woodruff is optioned for less than 20 days in 2017, he doesn't burn this year's option.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I doubt we need to preserve Woodruff's options. I'm guessing he is a guy that will come up and stay up.

I'm in the camp of giving Jungmann another shot. His first three months were outstanding:

June 2015: 2.79 ERA over 29 IP

July 2015: 1.77 ERA over 35.2 IP

Aug 2015: 3.12 ERA over 26 IP

Then the wheels came off:

Sept/Oct 2015: 7.85 ERA over 28.2 IP

April/Mar 2016: 9.15 ERA over 20.2 IP

And his peripherals matched ERA in similar fashion. Especially his walk rate spiked at the end of 2015 and was worse in 2016.

We all know his mechanics are very critical to him "being right". And of course there is an adjustment point where people start seeing him, but I don't believe this was merely a league adjustment. I think his mechanics were out of whack or something more with him than the league. His increase in walk rate would also support that theory.

Also, his FB rate did drop from 2015 to 2016: 2015 FB was averaging 92.6 MPH. 2016 FB was averaging 90.5 MPH.

honestly i forgot about Woody, i haven't heard about his progress but i'd love to get him some starts in Anderson's absence. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of letting Hader start, especially if you have Espino to back him up to not totally drain the pen on his days.

Scratch Wilkerson off the list of potential Monday starters, he went 5.2 IP and threw 90 pitches for Biloxi last night.

Blazek and Burnes both pitched Wednesday and would be on regular rest for to start Monday.

Jungmann pitches tonight for CS. If he gets pulled after a couple innings, you can pretty much count on him being the guy. Otherwise scratch him off the list too.

Espino hasn't pitched since his 3 IP after Chase went down, so he'd be in line to start on Monday too. Suter hasn't pitched since Tuesday, so maybe he could go an inning tonight and still be in line to start on Monday.

Lots of options, and a spot open on the 40-man.....I'm kinda hoping they go with Blazek and see what he can do.

I'd guess it's between Blazek, Jungmann, and Espino as to who gets the spot, with the edge going to Espino just since he's already with the big league club and has started for us a couple games already. There's enough options right now though that I'd rather see what someone else has to offer and let Espino keep working on converting to the bullpen.

All 3 ER were given up in the 6th inning, and that inning included an infield hit and two singles described as "soft fly balls" by MiLB gameday, so it kinda looks like he was mostly the victim of bad luck.

He actually had not allowed a hit until the 4th inning.

The Brewers will be too chicken to call up a guy like Burnes. We'll get stuck watching Espino or Jungmann toss away any hopes this club has. It's the Brewer way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can we start a negativity thread where people can post irrational negativity about things that haven't happened yet?

I think we had one once. Either way Burnes ain't happening. Heck they won't even let Hader pitch.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Let's remember the stats of Nelson and Peralta first time through the order and 2nd, 3rd etc. Hader's not seen a batter twice yet. Agreed his stuff is electric, but keeping him in the bullpen to this point. I still believe what will happen is he's sent down during the AS break and worked to be a SP again. He'll have multiple innings of experience now with getting ML outs. Gets stretched out as the Deadline comes and goes, with a pitcher or two sent away? and returned as a SP for the stretch. Unfortunately the injuries to Anderson and Guerra doesn't work in the Brewers favor when it comes to trading them.(yes Guerra healthy now but 42ip this year and 160+ overall small sample to commit prospects after his last start) Nelson and Garza to this point as better likely of the 1 or 2.

1 thing to see when sending Hader down to get stretched out is will his numbers be improved in the 3-5 starts he gets down in AAA? He goes 3ERA and less in that time it shows his improvement from his experience up here. He'll look better to commit to the SP rotation.

I hope Lopez shows some success, essentially replaces Hader's bullpen role when he is sent down in my thoughts.

Burnes started the year in High A, right? He's been great, but this is his first full professional season, let's give him some time to progress before bringing him up.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Burnes started the year in High A, right? He's been great, but this is his first full professional season, let's give him some time to progress before bringing him up.

Mike Leake never pitched in the minors. He turned out alright. Each guy is different. Burnes is basically 23 and lighting it up. Bring the guy up and let him continue to do so.

Archived