Brewer Fanatic

Chad McLanahan Question

Last year I was very excited when the Brewers selected Chad McLanahan in the 11th round and then over slotted him a $1.2 million signing bonus to get him. The Brewers rolled the dice and I was happy to see it.

Although the sample size is still very small, I'm alarmed at his high strikeout rate. In 144 at bats last year in the AZL league, he struck out 45 times (31%). Now early on this year in the Pioneer League, he has 14 strikeouts in 28 at bats (50%) and is only hitting .179.

Chad is still very young at 19 and has less than a full year of professional baseball under his belt, so it's still very early for him. With that being said, how concerned are you with his early struggles? Is he still a prospect or is he simply an 11th round pick that is turning out the way most 11th round picks turn out?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If I recall right, holes in his swing was his main issue offensively. Which is pretty normal for a kid that is so tall.

Yes, it is too early to sign him off. But certainly he is fulfilling the main scouting concern.

Personally, with anyone past the top 5 rounds or higher $$$ Latin america signs, I tend to take the wait and see approach before I get too high on them. If they hit, wonderful. If not, he was a later round pick.

He's also pretty young and probably considered a bit of a project, as a lot of high school draftees seem to be. His stats aren't going to get better until he works with coaches to make the necessary adjustments. Obviously the Brewers saw something there and think that with good coaching they can turn him into something.

At this point I'd just ignore him until the end of the year and see if there are signs of improvement. He still has plenty of time to figure things out.

My expectations out of a player are going to be more in line with their signing bonus(and if he is HS or college) than where he was drafted. McLanahan should not have the typical expectations of an 11th rounder.

Regardless I don't really get that bent out of shape over the early failure of a high school kid.

Archived