Brewer Fanatic

Justin Verlander

Justin Verlander has a 2.33 ERA and .593 OPS-A post-All-Star break.

I think calls of him being washed up were a little premature.

It seems like people have suggested Verlander was washed up a couple times now. I'm also a bit surprised to see his fastball velocity sitting at 95.3 MPH at 34 years old.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verlander the last 3 or 4 seasons really ramps up his stuff in the 2nd half and is dominant.

I would have loved to basically absorb the contract. Giving up good prospects and absorbing the contract...no.

Agreed. You'd have to think that Perez and Cameron would be equal to a Phillips/Burnes duo. And the the third prospect is a Clint Coulter type.

Then again, just to play devils advocate, if the Brewers are a contender against next year and they could have gotten the deal done without giving up Burnes, a rotation of Nelson/Verlander/Anderson/Davies/Woodruff with Burnes and Peralta waiting in the wings and even Hader potentially in the mix, plus a BP that includes Knebel, hopefully Barnes making a Knebel like jump(his stuff is similar), Taylor Williams, and then again possibly Hader..that looks like a contending pitching staff.

But I never really wanted to give up any prospects this year. I never really thought we could matchup in the playoffs with any of the other teams and unless Nelson's injury is much less significant than feared and he's 100 pct healthy by the start of next year, I would be hesitant to trade any long term assets this off-season or next year.

I hope we wait, let guys like Brinson, Woodruff, Burnes and everyone else get a while under them to see what we have, and at that point, our roster should be so cheap that we could at that point go out and add a guy like Verlander. Or heck, even sign a guy like Kuechel who'll be a Free Agent. That would be about the only situation in which we could really compete financially with the big boys, if the majority of our lineup is either pre-arby or just early in their arbitration years.

• 1 month later...
The man is filthy. It’s too bad his wife hates Milwaukee.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The man is filthy. It’s too bad his wife hates Milwaukee.

To each their own but I would not have wanted to give up a comparable package that OTB mentioned of Phillips + Burnes + 1. I don't believe we are at the right stage to be making a deal like that. The Astros with or without Verlander are still well ahead of where we are at this point in time.

Jokes about Upton aside too, I still doubt very much that Verlander makes the same concession that he did to go to Houston. Dallas Kuechel still had to sell Verlander on it in the 11th hour, and he still required a waiver of his 2020 vesting option.

Houston was most likely a more attractive destination if for no other reason than the Astros are far closer to World Series contention than us.

Yeah I should’ve put the part about his wife in blue. Lol
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived