Brewer Fanatic

Craig Hansen

I would really like the Brewers to draft this guy. I know we need a 3b but if Gordon is not there then this has got to be the guy. He sounds like Brad Lidge with that fastball/slider combo. Every team would love to have a reliever like him and we could always try the Blue Jay method of converting college RP into pro starters. I am sure his coaches have tried to teach him a change-up in the past but he could be a top of the line starter with a good off-speed pitch. I like CamMay as much as the next guy but I hope the Brewers don't pass on Hansen.

I found some info on Hansen on the message boards at Perfect Game.

8. Craig Hansen, rhp, St. John's U.

With 96 mph fastball, 90 mph slider, could nation's premier closer be first to reach majors? (Only saw this kid throw on TV and he has a hammer of a slider and pretty good fastball)

5/22 Update: Pitched four no-hit innings for the save on Saturday, as rumors persist that he's in the mix for No. 1 (Many comparisons to Joe Nathan)

How the Jays handled Bush is a good example. I remember hearing the same things about Bush when he was drafted, how he only had 2 pitches, but both of them (fastball/slider IIRC) were pretty good. I think too many people get stuck on the idea that you need 3 pitches to start. Some of the best pitchers out there succeed with only 2 good pitches, and some dominate with only one really good one.

The Expos/Nationals drafted Bill Bray in the first round last year, and I believe they're grooming him as a starter as well. I felt Ryan Wagner could have been moved to the starting rotation, and I also feel Huston Street has the perfect combination of pitches & moxie to be a successful starter.

Archived