Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Stephen Vogt on waivers

markedman5
No, you are comparing a guy who is a starter and comparing him to a bench player. Hernan Perez can afford cold streaks because it only last a 10 day span. Bandy can't because an extended cold streak for him ends up being 25% of the season real quick. It also plummets your stats to pathetic ranges real quick. If you are a bench bat you can't be worthless for 40 ABs straight.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good deal IMO. Great clubhouse guy, I am fine with him and Pina splitting duties, knowing that Susac and Bandy may be gone with no options remaining. I agree that Susac is very vulnerable with his 40 man roster spot knowing it would be difficult for him to make the 25 man out of spring.

good deal IMO. Great clubhouse guy, I am fine with him and Pina splitting duties, knowing that Susac and Bandy may be gone with no options remaining. I agree that Susac is very vulnerable with his 40 man roster spot knowing it would be difficult for him to make the 25 man out of spring.

susac has one minor league option remaining.

I'm really surprised they kept Vogt. His defense was really bad, though Bandy was not much better. I guess the lefthanded bat was really valuable to the Brewers.

Gotta believe this means Susac is gone. I'd be surprised if they go into the rule 5 draft with a full 40 man roster. They will want to clear a roster spot for either other waiver claims or a rule 5 pick. My guess is either Baker or Susac goes.

This is very surprising. The good news is that arbitration contracts aren't guaranteed. I'm guessing they'll have a ST battle between Bandy and Vogt for the backup catcher spot and DFA the other one. Also would imagine that Susac gets DFA'd to clear a 40 man spot at some point. I would think there's a good chance he'd clear and go back to AAA.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

susac has one minor league option remaining.

thanks I think i had it mixed it. he will be fine for triple A. wonder if they will try to trade Bandy them since catching is so weak and he is out of options. He did enough last season to atleast be someones backup, just don't see it here unless there is an spring training injury.

Adam McCalvy‏ @AdamMcCalvy

10m10 minutes ago

Stephen Vogt says he couldn't sleep last night because he's so excited to be back. He's already into an offseason program to fix some mechanical problems with his throwing and thinks next year will be better in that department.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am fine with him as a backup catcher. While I don't think he is a very good catcher every backup catcher is going to have flaws. There are not enough starting caliber catchers let alone backups who can do everything well. I think overall he is decent enough defensively to make a positive contribution when taking in his offense and leadership skills into account. I hope it means Pina is viewed as a full time starter who only gets days off when he needs it instead of some sort of soft platoon. I think at this point he deserves it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is very surprising. The good news is that arbitration contracts aren't guaranteed. I'm guessing they'll have a ST battle between Bandy and Vogt for the backup catcher spot and DFA the other one. Also would imagine that Susac gets DFA'd to clear a 40 man spot at some point. I would think there's a good chance he'd clear and go back to AAA.

This is not a contract awarded in the arbitration process, it has been agreed to prior to that, therefore Vogt's contract is guaranteed. If they got cold feet about keeping him they could put him on waivers in March and see if he's claimed like they did with Scooter Gennett after they signed him under the exact same circumstances.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is not a contract awarded in the arbitration process, it has been agreed to prior to that, therefore Vogt's contract is guaranteed.

This guy seems to think otherwise

Arby contracts are NOT fully guaranteed.

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). The arbitration salary becomes guaranteed if the player is on the 25-man roster when the season begins.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/non-guaranteed-contract

So if we cut Vogt, we will owe him roughly either 1/6 of his salary (around $500,000) or 1/4 of his salary (around $800,000) - depending on when we cut him.

I stand corrected then. I remember having this conversation this time last year and could swear I recall it being confirmed that Scooter's contract waa guaranteed since it came before the actual arbitration process. But I'm sure if anyone would know it would be Vogt.

Archived