Brewer Fanatic

Brad Hand

Just posted this in another thread, but it's directly relevant to this:

From MLBTradeRumors.com:

The Padres are seeking a “Will Smith” type of return for lefty setup man Brad Hand, one rival executive tell Rosenthal. The Brewers traded Smith to the Giants last season in exchange for right-hander Phil Bickford, who at the time was 14 months removed from being a first-round pick, and catcher Andrew Susac — a former top prospect with MLB experience already under his belt.

Considering both Bickford and Susac's perceived values have likely dropped since we've obtained them, I think including those two in a trade is probably a decent starting point for what to expect to give up, at minimum, for a decent reliever in this market. In which case, I'd pass and sink or swim with internal options.

I'd also add that I do realize we're getting to the point that we have prospects bubbling into the majors with no room to put them and at some point we need to maximize their value to us by trading them for other needs on the major league roster. However, I'd rather hold onto our chips one more year and save them for a Greinke-esque starting pitcher acquisition rather than use them on a reliever. If we're at the point that we have 1 or 2 real aces to head into the playoffs with and our offense is set, then I look into seeing if we can round out the roster with some nice relief pieces, but until then I don't want to prematurely give up valuable pieces that might help with a more impactful acquisition down the road.

I'd also add that I do realize we're getting to the point that we have prospects bubbling into the majors with no room to put them and at some point we need to maximize their value to us by trading them for other needs on the major league roster. However, I'd rather hold onto our chips one more year and save them for a Greinke-esque starting pitcher acquisition rather than use them on a reliever..

We will churn the bullpen, Garza, some of the AAAA pitchers, but I don't think we will have room to protect everyone in rule 5, especially if any team goes Padre next season.

I think we should move a couple of pieces now for a reliever, we would still have ammunition for a starting pitcher during the offseason. We would only be moving substantial pieces if the reliever is that good and is under multiyear control (and would then need a spot on the 40 himself).

Besides saving room on the 40 for this offseason, we would also be investing in the health of Knebel and Barnes by acquiring someone that Counsell would actually trust to pitch in a close game.

Wasn't a Hand thread started like 2 weeks ago?

I want no part of bidding for relievers. They are too unpredictable imo.

i agree, fivethirtyeight gives the brewers a 32% chance on making the playoffs and give the cubs a strong chance on catching them. I can't see the brewers making a deep playoff run. I wouldnt' want to mortage our future for a short playoff gain. Think about the bucks trading for JJ Reddick to simply make the playoffs and how much they regret that now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-mlb-predictions/brewers/

I would strongly advise staying away from Hand.

I believe that pitching for the Padres has a been a huge factor in his success. Not sure if it is a coach or organizational philosophy but it is worrisome:

Pre-Padres

2014 - 4.38 ERA

2015 - 5.30 ERA

Padres:

2016 - 2.92 ERA

2017 - 2.84 ERA

The difference is just too striking to go give away a big package for hand.

It is hard to explain, but it stinks of a Jeffress situation. Pitches well in Milwaukee and sucks elsewhere.

I believe that pitching for the Padres has a been a huge factor in his success. Not sure if it is a coach or organizational philosophy but it is worrisome:

Pre-Padres

2014 - 4.38 ERA

2015 - 5.30 ERA

Padres:

2016 - 2.92 ERA

2017 - 2.84 ERA

It is hard to explain, but it stinks of a Jeffress situation. Pitches well in Milwaukee and sucks elsewhere.

I'm not for or against a Hand trade but those numbers are meaningless. He was a starter for over half of 14-15.

Pre-Padres

2014 - 4.38 ERA

2015 - 5.30 ERA

Padres:

2016 - 2.92 ERA

2017 - 2.84 ERA

pitching half your games at Petco has to help.

Pre-Padres

2014 - 4.38 ERA

2015 - 5.30 ERA

Padres:

2016 - 2.92 ERA

2017 - 2.84 ERA

pitching half your games at Petco has to help.

Very easy to look up. Hand's stats have been quite a bit better on the road in the past two seasons.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived