Brewer Fanatic

Rule 5 Eligible Players

I only see three "must-adds", two "probably", and a "depending on injury rehab".

Must add: Dubon, Wilkerson, Peralta

Probably: Nottingham, N. Ramirez

Depending on injury rehab: Barrios

If room: Wang, Ventura, Wren

Why is Wilkerson a 'must-add'? He's a nice story, but he's also a 28 year old minor league/independent ball journeyman. I can't see teams lining up to take him in the Rule 5.

I only see three "must-adds", two "probably", and a "depending on injury rehab".

Why is Wilkerson a 'must-add'? He's a nice story, but he's also a 28 year old minor league/independent ball journeyman. I can't see teams lining up to take him in the Rule 5.

1) He's been pitching great this year, and

B) As bad as starting pitching has been this year (as of a few days ago, Garza had the 26th best ERA in the NL among pitchers with at least 60 IP, and two of those above him are primarily relievers), anyone who could be a 4th/5th starter right now would be snapped up immediately.

1) He's been pitching great this year, and

B) As bad as starting pitching has been this year (as of a few days ago, Garza had the 26th best ERA in the NL among pitchers with at least 60 IP, and two of those above him are primarily relievers), anyone who could be a 4th/5th starter right now would be snapped up immediately.

There are a ton of guys who 'could be' #5's in our system if given a long enough look. Wilkerson, Espino, Wang, Jungmann...probably others. I can't believe all of these guys have any real value.

Wilkerson is 28, so he's not a great Rule 5 candidate. Most rebuilding teams probably prefer flyers on guys who aren't pushing 30 and have better stuff than Wilkerson. Most contenders have a safer plan for the back of their rotation than a Rule 5 starter who has never pitched at the MLB level

I think it would be possible for him to be selected, just don't think it's at all close to being a slam dunk like you do.

Wilkerson is 28, so he's not a great Rule 5 candidate. Most rebuilding teams probably prefer flyers on guys who aren't pushing 30 and have better stuff than Wilkerson.

Unless if teams try to emulate the Brewers rebuilding, who regularly picked up older pitchers. The fact that Wilkerson has not been called up already, says to me the Brewers don't value him that high. Espino and Scahill have gotten many chances over Wilkerson. I agree it is possible that he could be picked, but like you said, just not a slam dunk.

Wilkerson just might end up being one of those guys who we lose due to too much talent in the system. It would suck that we traded for him, he pitched great, and we never really gave him a shot, but something tells me that the upper brass wasn't impressed with his post-trade performance last year, even if it was at CS, and he's very old for AA so maybe not that impressed with his performance there either.

As it stands right now, I'd guess that Dubon is pretty close to a lock for a September call up. He could be very useful as a pinch runner, and if we don't do an August trade for someone like Kinsler, he could stand to get some starts at 2B if Villar/Sogard keep struggling. He can take Rivera's spot on the 40-man.

Susac/Espino's days on the 40-man are likely numbered as well. With Nottingham needing protection, they won't have 5 catchers on the 40-man, and they'll need a spot for Freddy Peralta too.

Swarzak and Sogard will be gone at the end of the year, and Jeffress may not work out either, so there is some more flexibility to protect players if they want to protect someone like Wilkerson, but that will probably have to wait until the offseason.

Might also be interesting to see what they do with Tristan Archer. His stats and consistency seem impressive, but not hearing much buzz about him beyond that, so not sure what his likelihood of being a major league contributor is.

Susac may not be protected but I doubt it will be because of Vogt. I think Vogt will be non-tendered. He is arby eligible and those all star appearances may drive his salary too high next year. Plus his inability to throw out runners is not a endearing feature.

Might also be interesting to see what they do with Tristan Archer. His stats and consistency seem impressive, but not hearing much buzz about him beyond that, so not sure what his likelihood of being a major league contributor is.

Archer is solid and his numbers at AAA are pretty good for Colorado Springs. I hope the Brewers don't overlook him. I think he may be one to watch in the next couple of years and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was grabbed in the Rule 5 draft.

Susac may not be protected but I doubt it will be because of Vogt. I think Vogt will be non-tendered. He is arby eligible and those all star appearances may drive his salary too high next year. Plus his inability to throw out runners is not a endearing feature.

Brewers aren't likely to see a huge uptick in salary next year. Biggest FA acquisitions are likely to be bullpen arms, maybe a quality setup man, and maybe a decent 2B/bench bat.

Point being, Vogt's salary won't be a deterrent, and I think they picked him up because they like having the veteran in the clubhouse and he's probably preferable to Bandy or Susac at this point.

Archived