Brewer Fanatic

Melvin Props

rickh150
I realize this thread is more about the trades he made, but Melvin was the GM for 2 playoff appearances. Considering the Brewers have only 2 other playoff appearances in their history I think that's a point that far too frequently goes overlooked.

Melvin and Dalton are both in the same league as far as I'm concerned. They both left the team in better shape than they found them in and built a team that could contend for a championship. The major difference appears to be the person who took over for them. I often wondered what might have been with a competent front office post Dalton. With Stearns, I think we might get something close to an answer.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Haniger is a completely different player now than he would have been for the Brewers most likely. He has retooled his swing multiple times because he was not a major league quality player and had to fix it. Who knows if the same results would have happened before the trade. It just isn't realistic to compare players like that.

Haniger is a completely different player now than he would have been for the Brewers most likely. He has retooled his swing multiple times because he was not a major league quality player and had to fix it. Who knows if the same results would have happened before the trade. It just isn't realistic to compare players like that.

That's not a very resounding compliment to our coaching and development personnel in the minor leagues.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I realize this thread is more about the trades he made, but Melvin was the GM for 2 playoff appearances. Considering the Brewers have only 2 other playoff appearances in their history I think that's a point that far too frequently goes overlooked.

Of course, the wild card helped that too. We would've made it 1987 if they had the wild card then. Nothing like finishing 5 games ahead of the WS Champion Twins and being 3rd in your own division.

Of course, the wild card helped that too. We would've made it 1987 if they had the wild card then. Nothing like finishing 5 games ahead of the WS Champion Twins and being 3rd in your own division.

Also that '92 team won 92 games and had nothing to show for it as far as playoffs. It's easier to make the playoffs now than it has ever been. Not that that takes anything away from Melvin's teams but when you're taking 10 out of 30 instead of 4 out of almost 30 it's obviously much easier.

That's not a very resounding compliment to our coaching and development personnel in the minor leagues.

Who's to say that changes weren't suggested to Haniger & he was hesitant to incorporate them because he'd had success his whole life doing things one way, so why change?

What is known is after being traded by the organization that drafted him & getting sent to A+ by the acquiring organization at age 24 he decided he needed to make major changes if he wanted to reach the ultimate goal. Kudos to him for doing so. He's certainly exceeded any realistic expectations at the time of the trade.

That is a straw man argument. It is the same thing as Segura where people try to pretend he was never going to be good here. He worked in the off season with someone not related to his team at all and fixed his swing. That is not an organizational issue.

My favorite thing about Melvin was how he handled the bottom of the roster. He consistently found another teams scraps and turned them into useful players. He also rarely, if ever lost anyone on waivers that ended up being useful. He had a knack for sliding useful guys into aaa when other teams were full and couldn't take anyone on.

Melvin wouldn't have lost Diaz to the padres.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

My favorite thing about Melvin was how he handled the bottom of the roster. He consistently found another teams scraps and turned them into useful players. He also rarely, if ever lost anyone on waivers that ended up being useful. He had a knack for sliding useful guys into aaa when other teams were full and couldn't take anyone on.

Melvin wouldn't have lost Diaz to the padres.

The bottom of Melvins rosters were brutal. His AAA teams were brutal. The difference now is the depth we have has been the driving force behind our first place team.

He never lost a rule V guy because the 40 man roster usually only had 35 worthwhile players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

To be fair any A ball pitcher is going to look bad in the majors. I am one of the guys that doesn't care that Diaz was left unprotected but wouldn't use his major league stats this year to prove my point because his stats this year are worthless.

To be fair any A ball pitcher is going to look bad in the majors. I am one of the guys that doesn't care that Diaz was left unprotected but wouldn't use his major league stats this year to prove my point because his stats this year are worthless.

Which is why I included the minor league stats. The only season that really opens your eyes is the 4th time doing rookie ball.

I have to laugh at the comments that Yuni B hit well in the postseason. That is exactly the problem, or it was Melvin's problem, his lack of perspective on defensive value. It is one thing to rebuild, it is another thing to finish the build to compete in the postseason. The game passed Melvin by. It was sad to watch unfold and many of us commented on it as it was happening. It was obvious. Yuni B had the range of a fire hydrant. OK, OK, he had the range of a 55 year old slow pitch softball player.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I have to laugh at the comments that Yuni B hit well in the postseason. That is exactly the problem, or it was Melvin's problem, his lack of perspective on defensive value. It is one thing to rebuild, it is another thing to finish the build to compete in the postseason. The game passed Melvin by. It was sad to watch unfold and many of us commented on it as it was happening. It was obvious. Yuni B had the range of a fire hydrant. OK, OK, he had the range of a 55 year old slow pitch softball player.

Oh. Okay. :rolleyes

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Melvin's issue was that he stopped getting nuggets in every deal. He decided Kevin Mench was a better bet than getting a low A pitching prospect.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived