Brewer Fanatic

Melvin Props

rickh150

As Stearns gets his A grade this offseason and season, Doug Melvin's last moves are playing big this year and into the future:Yo for Knebel and Gomez and Fiers for Santana, Hader, Phillips, (House). He made some quality trades that are clear wins for us.

He is also busy working in the minors, trying to help Stearns and the Brewers get back to the playoffs. How many guys are humble enough to stay with team and fill a role after being GM? Thankful for his service to this organization.

Marcos Diplan was also in the Gallardo trade and is a very intriguing pitching prospect.

He gets a lot of hate, but he did a phenomenal job setting up the rebuild and handing it over to Stearns. Stearns couldn't have fallen into a better situation than he did here. Not a whole lot wrong when he stepped in. Only major problem was inability to draft well. We shall see if he can fix that ship.

Melvin's last few moves have proven to be very good for the team. I absolutely agree that it's good Melvin is still around, and that shows a rare humility you don't often see. Stearns has been pretty good too - there has been a lot of churn on the roster. Sometimes that churn seemed to be just for the sake of change, though I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The knowledge that you have to produce or expect to get traded/designated can be a good motivator. If it wasn't for Feliz's price-tag I wonder if he would have been DFA'd sooner? I don't mind them taking the risk on Felix - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I do appreciate the fact that they were willing to decide that it was time for a change, no matter how much payroll they had to eat.

Love Melvin and all he's done for the Brewers. How could you not. Hope he's around for a World Series win. He deserves it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't help but associate Melvin with Yuni B

Everytime I see Arcia make a play a shudder and think "what if" in remembering that 2011 postseason run and how horrible our defense was at Shortstop. So close but we got Melvined.

That said, yes, his last few moves in the rebuild were good

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What he got from the Astros for an already-in-decline Carlos Gomez and a completely replaceable Mike Fiers never ceases to amaze me.

Right. I thought we were toast after his slow start and really toast after the Mets botched a deal over physical issues. Seemed pretty clear he was trending the wrong way and fast forward he totally did.

Everytime I see Arcia make a play a shudder and think "what if" in remembering that 2011 postseason run and how horrible our defense was at Shortstop. So close but we got Melvined.

I didn't mind Yuni B. when they got him. We needed someone to (try to) play shortstop and he didn't need to be great at it. He was supposed to be a stop gap and nothing more. The tradeoff was worth it as the 96 wins proved. Hell he even played ok in the post season. My only real problem with the Melvin was when he brought Yuni back the next season.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I didn't mind Yuni B. when they got him. We needed someone to (try to) play shortstop and he didn't need to be great at it. He was supposed to be a stop gap and nothing more. The tradeoff was worth it as the 96 wins proved. Hell he even played ok in the post season. My only real problem with the Melvin was when he brought Yuni back the next season.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Melvin brought in Davies for Parra too

Yes, but I was bummed we gave up Haniger and Banda for a mediocre veteran like Parra. Still seems to have worked out overall

Yeah, I'd much rather have Haniger and Banda than Davies. Don't get me wrong, I respect a lot of what Melvin did, it's just hard for me to give him too much credit for a good trade when a bad trade set it up.

I don't think at time anyone really thought Hanigarvwould be what he is right now. Most thought 4th OF average Starter. Not this. Also bunch of us really liked Banda but who thought he'd become a top pitching prospect in an organization. Hindsight, great deal Arizona! (Not often you can say that over past few seasons prior to GM change). Parra was good for us though and brought in a solid arm.

Overall, always been a Doug support & always will! Is Gord still around helping out? Can't remember. He deserves some credit to.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I don't think at time anyone really thought Hanigarvwould be what he is right now. Most thought 4th OF average Starter. Not this. Also bunch of us really liked Banda but who thought he'd become a top pitching prospect in an organization. Hindsight, great deal Arizona! (Not often you can say that over past few seasons prior to GM change). Parra was good for us though and brought in a solid arm.

Overall, always been a Doug support & always will! Is Gord still around helping out? Can't remember. He deserves some credit to.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Yes. We kept Weeks around far too long also.

Yes, but I was bummed we gave up Haniger and Banda for a mediocre veteran like Parra. Still seems to have worked out overall

Parra was one of my hubby's favorite players and we both were disappointed to see him go at that time.

The two guys from the 2011 season that were ones that made me want to throw things at the TV in Yuni (should never be on an MLB roster) and Kotsay (fine as a backup/situational guy, but his lack of defense and Roenicke's desire to play him in CF) somewhat evened themselves out in the playoffs.

Yuni put up an .835 OPS in the 2011 playoffs and I recall some clutch hits. Kotsay had the infamous game where he started in CF, gave up a huge hit due to not being athletic enough, but then hit a bomb a few innings later.

Of course, having someone in both spots that were both good offensive and defensive players might have tipped the Brewers over the top, but those guys in the short sample of 11 playoff games found a way to be net neutral (I think?)

We had a perfectly good cf platoon in 2011. Kotsay should never have started in cf. We also had an alternative at ss towards the end of the season but Yuni kept getting trotted out. I put that on the manager. Of course you shouldn't give sharp bjects to children so Melvin should get some blame.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, I'd much rather have Haniger and Banda than Davies. Don't get me wrong, I respect a lot of what Melvin did, it's just hard for me to give him too much credit for a good trade when a bad trade set it up.

It's also much easier to look back at a trade 3yrs later and decide who you'd rather have. The trade was fair for both sides at the time. Parra also already had 2 GG awards, played all 3 OF spots extremely well and had a solid bat from the left side (minus power). He was very good for us. Banda was a 10rd pick who showed no signs of becoming a Top 100 at that time. You trade based on the information you have at the time.

I realize this thread is more about the trades he made, but Melvin was the GM for 2 playoff appearances. Considering the Brewers have only 2 other playoff appearances in their history I think that's a point that far too frequently goes overlooked.

It's also much easier to look back at a trade 3yrs later and decide who you'd rather have. The trade was fair for both sides at the time. Parra also already had 2 GG awards, played all 3 OF spots extremely well and had a solid bat from the left side (minus power). He was very good for us. Banda was a 10rd pick who showed no signs of becoming a Top 100 at that time. You trade based on the information you have at the time.

I never said it wasn't and I don't think it was a horrible move, simply said that at this moment I'd rather have Haniger and Banda . Obviously at the time we thought we were contenders and Mark A I'm sure had some influence in the deal.

All I'm saying is that given what Haniger and Banda have become, I have a hard time giving Melvin a huge plus grade for those sequences of moves when Davies is really more of just a back end starter. But he did sell at the right point with Parra.

Archived