Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-14: Brewers (Garza) at Cardinals (Leake) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, eventually, 7-6]

hawing
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking of heading to bed. Hope I'm wrong but I feel like I've seen this one already and it doesn't end well.

Glad I was wrong and stayed up for it!!! Going to to pay dearly when the alarm rings at 3:45 but at least I saw a win!!

Whew. Some hard shots for outs by Knebel and some major squeezing behind the plate (again).

I don't know what we are going to do late in the season when Knebel wears down, because the way he's been used it's a matter of when he will wear down, not if.

Knebel's on pace for 80ip. If he can't handle that at 25yrs old then he shouldn't be pitching. Jeffress threw 68 in 2015. Thornburg threw 67 last year. Andrew Miller threw 74 last year and is on pace for 86 this year. There are several other closers on pace for 74-86ip and a few more on pace for low-70s.

Keep harping on how garbage Garza is when he had 1-2-3 innings every inning he pitched except the 2nd (sweet play Broxton - no mention of that of course because his last name isn't Garza). Guy has been solid all year thus far. You probably wanted Chase gone a month ago and now you're on your knees. "what have you done for me the last 24hrs" mentality on this board (ie Barnes is a candidate to go to AAA and work on things). Really? Because he had 2 bad outings in his past 16? Can anybody watch a game anymore without whining about someone

I don't know what we are going to do late in the season when Knebel wears down, because the way he's been used it's a matter of when he will wear down, not if.

Knebel's on pace for 80ip. If he can't handle that at 25yrs old then he shouldn't be pitching. Jeffress threw 68 in 2015. Thornburg threw 67 last year. Andrew Miller threw 74 last year and is on pace for 86 this year. There are several other closers on pace for 74-86ip and a few more on pace for low-70s.

Keep harping on how garbage Garza is when he had 1-2-3 innings every inning he pitched except the 2nd (sweet play Broxton - no mention of that of course because his last name isn't Garza). Guy has been solid all year thus far. You probably wanted Chase gone a month ago and now you're on your knees. "what have you done for me the last 24hrs" mentality on this board (ie Barnes is a candidate to go to AAA and work on things). Really? Because he had 2 bad outings in his past 16? Can anybody watch a game anymore without whining about someone

Yeah, and what are Jeffress and Thornburg doing this year, by the way? Just because you think Knebel should be able to throw 80+ innings doesn't mean that he should or will be able to do so without consequence. I also like how you complain about people whining about someone, only to whine about Broxton in the same paragraph, and said I'm not whining about Broxton because his name isn't Garza, only to accuse me of hypothetically whining about Anderson a month ago. What is that??

Barnes walks are way, way up this year, and his overall numbers are middling, it's not just 2 outings, and he has options. Trust me, I know he's not going anywhere, nor do I think he should, I simply said he would be a good candidate to go down and work on things, particularly his control, IF we had a good pen, which we don't. Things sound a lot different when you take them out of context.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's not so much the innings as it is the appearances and warm-ups. There are lots of examples of guys with high appearances in a season getting hurt. Like Thornburg, whom you brought up. Chad Fox and Chuck Crim are good examples from the ghosts of Brewer past also.

If you knew it meant blowing out Knebel's arm, never to be the same again BUT the Brewers win their first World Series, would you care?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived