Brewer Fanatic

Re: Scahill DFA, Woodruff Promoted, Starts Game 1 Today [Or would have but for his hamstring]; Woodruff optioned back to AAA after rehab

JDBrewCrew

Milwaukee Brewers‏Verified account @Brewers 1m1 minute ago

More

#Brewers have selected the contract of RHP Brandon Woodruff (@B_Woody24) from Triple-A @skysox. Makes @MLB debut today in Game 1. #MILatSTL

Milwaukee Brewers‏Verified account @Brewers 2m2 minutes ago

More

RHP Rob Scahill has been designated for assignment.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alas poor rob, we knew ye well

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Since woodruff isnt the 26th, i wonder what happens after today. Sent back down, takes a starter spot, or to the pen. Also makes me wonder if they will call up a 26th, but i think it would be silly not to if you can. We did have the day off yesterday and maybe they dont want to use service time for anyone else, but its just 1 day and youve gotta cover yourself i would think.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Could they not have called up Woodruff to be the 26th man, or what am I not understanding here? Does this mean that Woodruff might have a chance to stick for awhile?

Woodruff needed to be added to the 40 and i guess there was no one in the minors they wantes to drop off the 40.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Would Suter get called up to be the 26th guy today, since his start was cut short on Sunday? Still a bit surprised though that they didn't just add Woodruff to be the 26th man, unless if they are planning to keep him up beyond his start today.

Scahill has been just putrid this year, glad he is gone. Don't let the lucky ERA fool you. Almost double the walks as he has strike outs, 90% zone contact rate. This is a guy who can't strike people out and is very hittable. He is 30 years old and hasn't shown a stat line worth owning since 2014 in AAA.

Scahill has been just putrid this year, glad he is gone. Don't let the lucky ERA fool you. Almost double the walks as he has strike outs, 90% zone contact rate. This is a guy who can't strike people out and is very hittable. He is 30 years old and hasn't shown a stat line worth owning since 2014 in AAA.

He was often able to get quick outs though. A BAA against of .254 means not all of the contact was hard. Not saying he's worth keeping but his sample size was smaller than the other struggling relievers and his 2016 numbers as a Brewer were pretty good.

Drake is no better, is the same age, and has even less of a success record at this level.

Next move should be DFA'ing Drake and bringing up Wang.

Big picture is Scahill isn't good (neither is Drake). Their talents abilities are the worst of the pen group. As long as CS is still our AAA and there are 1-2 "fillers" in the pen then this seems to be the new strategy and rightfully so. Have the top prospects take over pen roles to get them out of CS while gaining MLB experience and contributing to the team that way. Hader and Woodruff should both be in the pen now the rest of the year and if there needs to be a spot start then pick one of them to do so.

Happy about woodruff but whoever called the LIFO approach from Stearns was spot on. Scahill was at least 3rd behind Peralta, Feliz and even Torres.

Those guys can't be too far behind...

With even somewhat better arms than those guys we might be 10-12 games over .500 right now.

Interested to see how they use Woodruff. I would think with the DFA to bring him up, they are planning to keep him up for at least a little while. Once Garza is back, I wouldn't mind him out of the pen like Hader to keep gaining MLB experience. Far more meaningful than starting games in CS.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Happy about woodruff but whoever called the LIFO approach from Stearns was spot on. Scahill was at least 3rd behind Peralta, Feliz and even Torres.

Those guys can't be too far behind...

With even somewhat better arms than those guys we might be 10-12 games over .500 right now.

Scahill came into tie games twice and surrendered the go ahead runs. All of the rest of the guys in the pen had similar results or worse. Agree that Scahill didn't distinguish himself but he's far from alone. Would he have shut down the Dodgers in the game Torres blew up? He didn't get the chance. His departure will have little effect positive or negative because Counsell never used him as anything other than the last resort.

it's my understanding that the 26th man (brent suter) has to kept on the roster for both games of the doubleheader. but, it's also my understanding that the brewers could option woodruff after game one today and recall another player who's been optioned for at least 10 days for game two (or select the contract of a minor leaguer after freeing up another spot on the 40-man).

the brewers would also have the right to place a player on the major league disabled list after game one and recall a player for game two.

That is a good point. I wouldn't think they would go through the hassle just for the second game of a double header however they recalled Cravy previously and sent him back down before a game was even played so maybe.

Suter was named the 26th man but they can just as easily send down Woodruff and keep Suter. They just have to keep Suter for both games today.

Keep in mind, they already have 8 in the pen NOT including Woodruff or Suter. And Garza will be coming back. So, for example, if they wanted to keep Woodruff in the pen, they will need to DFA two guys currently in the pen.

I have a feeling they will want to keep Woodruff stretched out, but you never know.

In my opinion Brandon Woodruff is not going to the pen no matter how terrible it may be. Woodruff is likely the Brewers go to guy if a starter goes down long term. They are going to want to keep him stretched out and continue to work as a starter. Hader is in the pen because he has little control. Woodruff has shown adequate control even having to pitch in Colorado. Hader wasn't converted to the bullpen just because we needed help there. It was much more than that. Ever since Hader went to the pen people have been wondering why we won't just do the same to Woodruff. Woodruff has looked much more like a starter than Hader. That is why he isn't in the pen and likely won't be.

Yeah, I don't think Woodruff is going to the pen. If he has a great debut he'll be tough to send back down right now though. It'd be a good time to try to trade Garza while he still has some of his early season value, but coming off an injury isn't usually the best time for that. It's hard to see anyone else in the rotation getting traded now, but you never know.

Yeah, I don't think Woodruff is going to the pen. If he has a great debut he'll be tough to send back down right now though. It'd be a good time to try to trade Garza while he still has some of his early season value, but coming off an injury isn't usually the best time for that. It's hard to see anyone else in the rotation getting traded now, but you never know.

I'd love for Garza to get traded but I highly highly doubt it happens.

If Woodruff is really good, I could see them keeping Garza on the DL a bit longer so he'll get another start. Scahill being DFA'd does insure the Hader sticks around in the pen even after Garza is activated though and hopefully means Torres is kept away from high leverage situations for a while.

Archived