Brewer Fanatic

Why not Woodruff too?

rickh150
Woodruff was very lucky yesterday. He did not have his control. I'm hoping it is just 1st start jitters but it has been a while since I've seen a pitcher miss his marks by so far. He got a couple of strikeouts on pitches that were suppose to be way outside and were thrown inside. Pina was fantastic even getting a glove on those pitches. Things could have gone very badly with all the baserunner's he allowed.

Woodruff was very lucky yesterday. He did not have his control. I'm hoping it is just 1st start jitters but it has been a while since I've seen a pitcher miss his marks by so far. He got a couple of strikeouts on pitches that were suppose to be way outside and were thrown inside. Pina was fantastic even getting a glove on those pitches. Things could have gone very badly with all the baserunner's he allowed.

He pitched his way out of trouble. It was no fluke. All 7 hits he allowed were singles against a lineup that included 4 guys with 20+ HR. In today's game if you don't get extra base hits, you have trouble scoring. Some of those were dinkers that fell in. He was in complete command after the 2nd. The trouble in the 3rd was due to error by Shaw. He couldn't have been more impressive. His "misses" inside were nasty and unhittable. But his stuff (fastball was 93-95 all night) is good enough that he doesn't need to be pinpoint all the time. He flashed a good slider and a nasty changeup as well.

I had the Rays' telecast on in the first. They were raving that for a rookie in his first major league start that he had tremendous mound presence and didn't look like a rookie usually looks in his first start. He didn't seem rattled at all with men on base. Couldn't agree more. Former Rays pitcher Doug Waechter also raved about him in their postgame show.

Brewers brass has loved Woodruff for a long time, and their belief in him is likely a big part of why the team didn't acquire a starting pitcher at the deadline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I missed the first couple of innings. Maybe he was nervous at the beginning. But, from where I saw, I thought he had very nice movement.

This is why you don't trade these guys.

In other news, that TB stadium is an eyesore. The crowd was an embarrassment. I hear there are factors like it's location but you have to wonder if keeping a team there is sustainable. I'd be looking at Montreal or Charlotte or a couple of other spots. What we saw last night is not major league worthy in any way.

He pitched his way out of trouble. It was no fluke. All 7 hits he allowed were singles against a lineup that included 4 guys with 20+ HR. In today's game if you don't get extra base hits, you have trouble scoring. Some of those were dinkers that fell in. He was in complete command after the 2nd. The trouble in the 3rd was due to error by Shaw. He couldn't have been more impressive. His "misses" inside were nasty and unhittable. But his stuff (fastball was 93-95 all night) is good enough that he doesn't need to be pinpoint all the time. He flashed a good slider and a nasty changeup as well.

I had the Rays' telecast on in the first. They were raving that for a rookie in his first major league start that he had tremendous mound presence and didn't look like a rookie usually looks in his first start. He didn't seem rattled at all with men on base. Couldn't agree more. Former Rays pitcher Doug Waechter also raved about him in their postgame show.

I don't agree with you on a lot of stuff but this post is 100% spot on. The first two innings told me all I need to know about his makeup. He's tough mentally.

And as And That said, that changeup was just nasty. He's going to be a good one if he stays healthy. Could be a really good one if he can refine the slider and keep it down.

Woodruff has a full starters arsenal. I'd like to see him stay in the rotation and not in the pen. Hader may very well be just a bullpen guy.

He's very similar to a Jimmy Nelson if Nelson added a really solid change.

Now I know that's no small thing, I just mean his demeanor, his attitude on the mound and just more basically just how he looks out there.

I don't know what grade his change his on it, but there were times last night where it just looked filthy.

Hader probably will be a BP guy(I wouldn't say just because I think he can be an extremely important BP guy) but I'd like to see him start at some point next year. He looks like he gets better as he goes out there. I wonder if he couldn't be a poor man's Sale. I also wonder if his arm could hold up over 180+ innings a year.

Bill? Is that you Mr. Schroeder?

Yes, he missed his marks and Pena had to actually move to catch the ball. I have to be honest, I got real annoyed listening to Schroeder saying that all night long.

And I would also add that not only did Woodruff also get UNLUCKY last night with a couple of bloopers falling in, and an error that forced him to pitch out of a 1st and 3rd with 0 out situation, but that his ability to get a big strikeout when he needs it with men on base is not luck, it's talent.

And getting the swings and misses he did when he missed his spots can tell you a little bit about his stuff as well. I would agree with you, his command was not always great last night. I do think he was pitching better toward the end.

Yeah Hader needs a change up. Might be too late.

I love what I saw from Woodruff.

Hader is supposed to have a change he uses only against RH hitters. Either he hasn't needed it or would break it out the second time through. Should be a priority in the spring.

Woodruff was terrific. I think a six man rotation is in order when Anderson returns.

Its certainly possible given that he's only pitched out of the pen that he just hasn't thrown it enough or needed it enough to use it...which means it's probably not all that sharpe which would make him even more hesitant to use it.

Anyway, should have read through the posts. Looks like my thoughts pretty much matched up with everyone else's. Change looked great, he looked very composed and I think the Cal Eldred thing was a little tongue in cheek...but only a little bit. I do hold out a LITTLE hope that he can put together one of those runs that you see out of rookie pitchers from time to time. Obviously Eldred's run in '92 is not gonna happen, but it would be nice if he could settle in and provide a big boost.

Either way, I'd much rather wait and see what he can do than be watching the box scores in Oakland to see how he did while watching what Sonny Gray does for us....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived