Brewer Fanatic

Hader called up ......Espino optioned to triple A

MoreTrife

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm okay with this. Hader is all over the board at Colorado Springs. I'm fine with him coming up and working out of the bullpen. I'd still like him to ultimately get a shot as a starter, but for now, let's him get out of the Colorado air, and have him working with the big league coaches on his game. Perhaps half a season in the pen will help him a lot. Or maybe he comes in and dominates as a reliever. A lot of people see that as his future. But for now, if fills some needs and purposes.

Nice. I think he'll still get his shot as starter but it could fill a need if he's ready for the challenge. While the Brewers may have downplayed it, they're most likely in a situation they didn't expect to be in right now. When there are more talented guys available in your system than what you're fielding, on what's turned out to be a competitive club so far, it's almost a move they had to make.

Will he be making Garza's next start?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Will he be making Garza's next start?

I think Garza is supposed to be back -- but I'm not positive. So I was thinking bullpen. However, maybe you're right. Maybe they'll give him a start. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Nice. I think he'll still get his shot as starter but it could fill a need if he's ready for the challenge. While the Brewers may have downplayed it, they're most likely in a situation they didn't expect to be in right now. When there are more talented guys available in your system than what you're fielding, on what's turned out to be a competitive club so far, it's almost a move they had to make.

agreed!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This makes sense on a lot of levels. One of which is the management of his innings for the year. I see Hader spending the next 2.5 mos. in the bullpen and then assuming we are not in contention in September we can give him 4-5 starts to finish the season. Ideally this would set him up for sucess next year.

So, he has 52 IP this season and will likely get around 40 or so more the rest of the season out of the Brewers' bullpen. He probably needs to get around 150 or so if they want him starting next year. That doesn't really make it seem like they're grooming our best starting pitching prospect since Gallardo or Sheets to be a future starter.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Carlos Martinez, Lance Lynn, Chris Sale all started their major league careers in the bullpen. I wouldn't read that putting him there now means they are keeping him there. Could be a Phillips thing where he is just up for four days until Garza gets activated (but hope it means a different reliever is getting jettisoned - Feliz or Torres).

You both could be right - he's in the bullpen for now, but long term is to keep him as a starter.

Reading the Stearns comments it looks like this is more than just a call up until they activate Garza. Like some others here, I am not opposed to using him in the pen to start with. In an ideal world I'd rather they leave him in AAA for the entire season for service time considerations but our pitching needs help.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

They sure could have used a fresh arm yesterday. Not sure why if all they wanted was an extra bullpen arm they didn't opt for Wang but I guess they did not want to use a 40 man spot and Wang's been used a lot lately. Knowing Counsell though, he'll throw a tired Torres or Hughes out there instead of a fresh Hader. His freshest guy both last Saturday before the Dodger debacle and yesterday before the 10th inning meltdown by Barnes was Scahill, but it's like Counsell forgets he's even on the team.

Not surprised even though the Brewers downplayed this lately and I agree with the move 110%

I think the downplay was in regard to him permanently being in the pen, which is what most people were assuming. That's not the case. I didn't think he'd be up in the pen until later in the year but this absolutely makes sense to get him out of CS (which he basically stated he hated after last year), gain MLB exp and be a huge contributor/boost to the pen the rest of the season while they drive toward that playoff spot, hopefully.

Not surprised even though the Brewers downplayed this lately and I agree with the move 110%

I think the downplay was in regard to him permanently being in the pen, which is what most people were assuming.

No they were definitely downplaying it as anything related to the bullpen. They claimed it was to "limit his innings". I said it then it didn't make any sense.

Archived