Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-08: Giants (Cueto) at Brewers (Espino) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-5, 10 innings]

hawing
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Isn't that like being in the ivy? He went over and played it.....didn't hold his hands up?

That's what I thought. Also thinking back to that Prince Fielder inside-the-park HR.

Isn't that like being in the ivy? He went over and played it.....didn't hold his hands up?

I thought so too. He played the ball, I thought it was live at that point since he didn't hold the arms up.

That's just highly bad luck. Thames is going to score on that play regardless I think. Come on guys, just hit a couple deep fly balls here and let's win this. Sadly, we struggle so so badly in these spots...ugh.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I definitely understand. This is actually a really good discussion topic. The Brewers are in a rebuild and are having, by most accounts, unexpected success. So on a normal rebuilding team, bringing up a guy like a Phillips or a Kyle Wren, etc to fill that 25th spot to maximize every at bat or defensive switch, etc in every game is likely not as important as giving them regular at bats in the minors?

I’m not arguing against you, I’m actually interested in other’s viewpoints.

I would say that is true for a guy like Phillips. He still has a lot to learn - and being on the bench doesn't help a lot. On the other hand, a guy like Wren is almost for sure never going to be a starter. He is what he is - a light hitting player, who is probably going to max out as a 4th OF. What's he got left to learn? Therefore, having him on the bench isn't really impeding his development. It fact, since it's his likely future role - why not just get him there (assuming you have a spot for him)?

In the end, it kind of depends on the player and situation.

I remember Prince's 2nd inside the park HR was a ball just like that, the fielder just threw his hands up and Prince circled the bases and was given a HR. So what's the difference here?

Archived