Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-08: Giants (Cueto) at Brewers (Espino) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-5, 10 innings]

hawing
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the record for relievers in one pen over a 5 ERA? At least give these guys something to shoot for.

Higher than 2, I'm sure.

"Hold my beer." -Brewers bullpen

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why can't we just have Wily be a one inning man? Why does Counsell insist on multiple innings from him? Man, just let the guy go out and get three outs and use him in a spot he may actually succeed in. Stupid managing.

When he is finally DFA'd, some manager will and he'll be alright.

My thoughts exactly! Came on here to say the same thing. I don't understand why they insist on multiple innings from him. Of course today that made sense with the short start, but they do it all the time. Why bother making him the long man?

Why can't we just have Wily be a one inning man? Why does Counsell insist on multiple innings from him? Man, just let the guy go out and get three outs and use him in a spot he may actually succeed in. Stupid managing.

My thoughts exactly! Came on here to say the same thing. I don't understand why they insist on multiple innings from him. Of course today that made sense with the short start, but they do it all the time. Why bother making him the long man?

Yep and without looking up all his appearances from the pen I'd be willing to guess most if not all his runs have come in the second inning of work. Just put him as the 6th or 7th inning man and see if you have something with him. Doing what they are doing is just dumb.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm just so frustrated and sick of this bullpen. Same guys keep being run out there, same guys keep giving up runs, taking losses. Yet we're just doing nothing. Just make a change already. it's hard to believe anyone we bring up could truly be any worse.

I'm starting to think that for Broxton too - guy is leading the NL in strikeouts and he doesn't even play every day.

Yep and without looking up all his appearances from the pen I'd be willing to guess most if not all his runs have come in the second inning of work. Just put him as the 6th or 7th inning man and see if you have something with him. Doing what they are doing is just dumb.

Pretty close, he has given up a run in 4 of his 6 relief outings this year. Three of the four times he gave up a run it was in his second inning of work.

Yeah, Counsell is defeating the entire purpose of moving Peralta to the pen. You wanted to see if he could have success in short stints when he can just fire away and not have to save anything and be used in key situations. It's a process and you're not going to learn anything by forcing him to go eat up multiple innings. Just stop it already. He's been relatively successful in his first inning of work and should absolutely not be used a second inning in any close game until he is well established as a reliever and what he can do in that role.

Oh good. A Franklin AB. And another out. So glad we have him here still.

Sorry - again beating the dead horse But this game and this team is just leaving me highly frustrated.

I totally agree with you. Franklin is way overdue for a DFA.

Sorry - again beating the dead horse But this game and this team is just leaving me highly frustrated.

Spoken in a moment of frustration, I know. But if the 2017 Milwaukee Brewers have highly frustrated you this year ... you may need to adjust a few of your expectations? They have been a joy to watch thus far. Sure a few guys are struggling, but the pros outweigh the cons about 4 to 1. Easy on the hate juice.

Spoken in a moment of frustration, I know. But if the 2017 Milwaukee Brewers have highly frustrated you this year ... you may need to adjust a few of your expectations? They have been a joy to watch thus far. Sure a few guys are struggling, but the pros outweigh the cons about 4 to 1. Easy on the hate juice.

Yes, this season has been quite a bit better than I expected. And it's certainly a step in the right direction. They are way better than I ever expected them to be. BUT, that doesn't mean that the team should just put up with terrible performances over and over and over again by the same players. We're not talking about young guys here in growing pains - there's no reason a team (one in first place even - I know, not likely to last), should continue to keep guys on the roster that simply aren't getting the job done.

Yes, this season has been quite a bit better than I expected. And it's certainly a step in the right direction. They are way better than I ever expected them to be. BUT, that doesn't mean that the team should just put up with terrible performances over and over and over again by the same players. We're not talking about young guys here in growing pains - there's no reason a team (one in first place even - I know, not likely to last), should continue to keep guys on the roster that simply aren't getting the job done.

I definitely understand. This is actually a really good discussion topic. The Brewers are in a rebuild and are having, by most accounts, unexpected success. So on a normal rebuilding team, bringing up a guy like a Phillips or a Kyle Wren, etc to fill that 25th spot to maximize every at bat or defensive switch, etc in every game is likely not as important as giving them regular at bats in the minors?

Stearns has been pretty consistent with the “we are not changing out approach” stance … but at what point in an anomaly year, like this one might be, does the focus shift and we say “we are going for this” and we drop Franklin, Peralta, etc for better alternatives in the system who might have their “plan” stunted by the earlier than anticipated call up to help?

I’m not arguing against you, I’m actually interested in other’s viewpoints.

Archived