Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-07: Giants (Blach) at Brewers (Nelson) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-3]

hawing
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It says a lot about what counsell thinks about the current state of the bullpen when he let Nelson pitch through that inning

Nice start by Jimmy to get through 6 when he doesn't have his best stuff.

Props to Jesus Aguilar for not being a spring training wonder. Nothing like having a productive guy like him to help out when there are injuries.

It's a luxury having a bench with guys putting up the kinds of numbers that our bench guys are. Aside from Franklin everyone is putting up starter like offensive numbers. You really can't complain about what anybody is doing off of the bench

...and who has to pinch hit with 2 outs and a runner at second. Almost would have preferred to see Nerd Power face the lefty.

How long do we trot out a guy striking out in 43% of his ABs in the last two years? I know Broxton's stats even out to be average in the long run, but I don't think there is much of a ceiling there. I know it would be weird to kick him to the curb since he isn't downright terrible, but I feel like giving Phillips some ABs before Brinson comes up for good would be an intriguing option vs. looking at what we already know in Broxton.

Props to Jesus Aguilar for not being a spring training wonder. Nothing like having a productive guy like him to help out when there are injuries.

It's a luxury having a bench with guys putting up the kinds of numbers that our bench guys are. Aside from Franklin everyone is putting up starter like offensive numbers. You really can't complain about what anybody is doing off of the bench

A difference maker over the course of a season that could make all the difference.

How long do we trot out a guy striking out in 43% of his ABs in the last two years? I know Broxton's stats even out to be average in the long run, but I don't think there is much of a ceiling there. I know it would be weird to kick him to the curb since he isn't downright terrible, but I feel like giving Phillips some ABs before Brinson comes up for good would be an intriguing option vs. looking at what we already know in Broxton.

If you want Broxton benched for Phillips because of K's, I don't know if Phillips is your guy. He is probably going to be the one guy that can give Broxton a run for his money there.

Hopefully tonight is the spring board game for Villar. CC has played his cards right more often than not this season. Finish this one please!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess I'm really okay with Broxton even with the strikeouts as long as he keeps that OPS up in the 750 range. He's a streaky guy so I'm hopeful he'll go on one of his hot streaks again. He was a 2 WAR guy last year in half a season so I think it was reasonable to expect him to be a 2 to 4 war guy this year. The defense is obviously a bit concerning and hopefully that will bounce back.

I guess I'm really okay with Broxton even with the strikeouts as long as he keeps that OPS up in the 750 range. He's a streaky guy so I'm hopeful he'll go on one of his hot streaks again. He was a 2 WAR guy last year in half a season so I think it was reasonable to expect him to be a 2 to 4 war guy this year. The defense is obviously a bit concerning and hopefully that will bounce back.

I agree. Long-term I still think he's a good defensive player, he showed that last year.

He's in a funk right now and he'll get hot again. That's how it goes for players like him.

I have no problem with trading him if they get a good offer and choose to go that route.

Should be an interesting case next month if we keep winning and he is still scuffling with not so impressive numbers.

Might have stuck with Hughes for one more inning after such a quick 7th. I can't blame them for going with the guys that we trust to nail this down, just don't want to end up in a situation again where we had neither Barnes nor Knebel available on the same day.

Archived