Brewer Fanatic

Scooter 4HR

DHonks
He's on my fantasy team (yes, it's a deep fantasy league - 11 owners, NL only, 23 player roster with 10 pitchers). When I looked at my live stats last night I thought, that's gotta be a system glitch or something.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Sogard still has him beat with a 1.4 WAR

Darn I forgot about Sogard. So that means Scooter Gennett would be the 3rd best utility player on the team if he was still here. Now I see why Briggs is furious we don't still have him.

He's on my fantasy team (yes, it's a deep fantasy league - 11 owners, NL only, 23 player roster with 10 pitchers). When I looked at my live stats last night I thought, that's gotta be a system glitch or something.

Funny! I thought the same thing when I saw the 4 HR 10 RBI stat scroll across ESPN.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Since Scooter was close to a HR cycle, I would like to point out this interesting and shameful game featuring Tino Martinez

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA199704020.shtml

His first 3 ABs go 3 run HR, 2 run HR then solo through 5 innings. Then, next AB he comes to the plate with the bases loaded, a HR cycle opportunity, he grounds out to the pitcher. Unlikely to have another chance so a little nibbler is a major disappointment. But wait, in the 9th inning he comes to the plate with the bases loaded again. 2 HR cycle chances in the same game...and he walks on a full count. Score was 9-2 in the 9th at that time, no reason to walk there. You have to just commit to swinging at the last pitch.

...and then the baseball gods themselves decided to mess with me by letting the Yankees rally and have Tino come up again in the 9th with the bases loaded, that's right folks, 3 HR cycle opportunities in the same game and 2 in the same inning!

This time, in likely the least clutch AB in MLB history, he strikes out looking.

There has never been a HR cycle, I think not even in the minors and there may have been 1 recorded in some independent league or college.

Didn't Konerko or was it Thome who did it in one game he had a grand slam and then the next day he finished the HR cycle? I could have sworn either Thome or Kornerko did it in a 2 game span. Might have been Dunn also.

Since Scooter was close to a HR cycle, I would like to point out this interesting and shameful game featuring Tino Martinez

His first 3 ABs go 3 run HR, 2 run HR then solo through 5 innings. Then, next AB he comes to the plate with the bases loaded, a HR cycle opportunity, he grounds out to the pitcher. Unlikely to have another chance so a little nibbler is a major disappointment. But wait, in the 9th inning he comes to the plate with the bases loaded again. 2 HR cycle chances in the same game...and he walks on a full count. Score was 9-2 in the 9th at that time, no reason to walk there. You have to just commit to swinging at the last pitch.

...and then the baseball gods themselves decided to mess with me by letting the Yankees rally and have Tino come up again in the 9th with the bases loaded, that's right folks, 3 HR cycle opportunities in the same game and 2 in the same inning!

This time, in likely the least clutch AB in MLB history, he strikes out looking.

There has never been a HR cycle, I think not even in the minors and there may have been 1 recorded in some independent league or college.

Didn't Konerko or was it Thome who did it in one game he had a grand slam and then the next day he finished the HR cycle? I could have sworn either Thome or Kornerko did it in a 2 game span. Might have been Dunn also.

I would guess it was a White Sox player because I am pretty sure my White Sox fan friend has told me something along those lines a trillion times.

it's a generous listing for him to be 5'10". I remember Curtis Leskanic was listed at like 6'0" 200 lbs, and when next to him he was actually 5'9" and 170 lbs (roughly)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where to look up how much WAR he produced yesterday? I was astounded how much Thames produced, in terms of WAR over the first month. He pretty much made up for his contract in one month.

Was that a $10M day for Scooter, in terms of salary per WAR?

Well (ignoring defense) we can approx the runs he created using linear weights.

Right now MLB is a 4.56 runs/game scoring environment, so halway between 4 and 5 for the above charts gives singles worth .468 runs and HR worth 1.395 runs.

He was 5-5 with a 1B and 4 HR, so that would be (1).468 + (4)1.395 = 6.048 runs created.

We then need to convert that to wins using this approximation.

9 * (7918 MLB runs/15482 MLB innings) *1.5 + 3 = 9.9, so last night (again excluding defense and position) Scooter produced

6.048/9.9 = .61 WAR

Thanks!

With 6.1 BR WAR, 10% of his careers worth was from one day.

And no, he's not 5'10".

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

I dont think this happened, at least not as you described with a GS one game and then the other 3 then next game. None of the players you listed ever had a 3 HR game for the WhiteSox, and at least none of Thome, Konerko or Dunn accomplished the HR cycle in back to back games. These are the only 3 HR games in CHW history and I checked back through Baines and none of these did it

http://mlb.mlb.com/cws/history/rare_feats.jsp

I also checked Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez and Jermaine Dye and none of them did it.

I did find Edwin Encarnacion do it in these back to back games

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR201508290.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR201508300.shtml

That CHW 3 HR list is old, Konerko did have a 3 HR game but never did the HR cycle in 2 games.

The closest I found was Carlos Quentin who hit 4 HRs in back to back games, but they were solo, solo, 2-run and GS.

I was at the Brewers/Expos game when Jenkins had 3 homers (2002?) and he came up for his 4th at bat with the bases loaded and a chance to hit for the homerun cycle. Unfortunately he struck out in that last at bat. Exciting nonethe less.

Didn't he fly out to right center near the wall with the bases loaded? Box scores I looked at didn't have him with a K that day (though they also show him with only 2 HR's but I know that is wrong).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Didn't he fly out to right center near the wall with the bases loaded? Box scores I looked at didn't have him with a K that day (though they also show him with only 2 HR's but I know that is wrong).

Sorry, it was 2001

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200104280.shtml

3 HR, 6 RBI, and a strikeout.

He hit 2 HR the next day.

In the box-score it even has the play by play that shows Jenkins was up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh and struck out (looking! WHY!!???)

• 2 weeks later...

Baseballfact (twitter) had a fun stat that puts Scooter in perspective. One monster, historic, day doesn't mean Stearns made a mistake.

Scooter Gennett has 5 hr's since April 11.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Scooter's 2017 slash: .287/.320/.538/.858

2017 w/o 4HR game: .262/.296/.437/.733

4 years in Milwaukee: .279/.318/.420/.738

Take away one game and he's the same player he always has been.

Thanks for this. Was going to look this up when I saw the earlier post but was too lazy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived