Brewer Fanatic

2017-06-05: Giants (Samardzjia) at Brewers (Guerra) 6:40 PM CDT [MLB debut for Brett Phillips; Brewers lose, 7-2]]

hawing
All this angst at the start of the thread, CC was giving a few RHB the day off vs one of the tougher RHP's to face for RHB's.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Phillips is currently the all-time MLB 3TO king at 100%

Ken Gerhart (1986), Sam Ewing (1973), and Lee Bales (1986) were all position players that went 0-4 with a Golden Sombrero in their MLB debuts.

Don't know if it counts as a "debut," but looks like Ray Jarvis holds the record for most strikeouts in his MLB batting debut. He was a relief pitcher for the Red Sox in 1969, and in his 4th career appearance (0 ABs in his 1st 3 games) entered in relief after the starter Ken Brett only went 0.1 innings giving up 3 runs. At the plate Jarvis he went 0-5 with 5 K's, on the mound he went 8.2 IP with 1 ER and got the win.

Side note: Davey Nelson was 1 for 5 with a GIDP that game. Oh boy I tell ya what.

I am not Shea Vucinich

pathetic at bat from Villar too. Again, I am sooooo happy he did not accept the Brewers offer. Make him prove himself before offering him that kind of money, not just one possible fluke season...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

pathetic at bat from Villar too. Again, I am sooooo happy he did not accept the Brewers offer. Make him prove himself before offering him that kind of money, not just one possible fluke season...

What are you supposed to do when the ump calls them well off the plate? You have to swing at them off the plate. Villar almost pulled one over the bag in that AB too... if that's a little bit to the left and over the bag you wouldn't be saying it was a pathetic AB.

Did the ump seriously just call a pitch right down the middle a ball?

Giving several inches off the corner all night, but right down the middle is a ball?

I didn't see the one with Posey, but I did see the one on Hill that was clearly a strike. Sure is frustrating.

Giving several inches off the corner all night, but right down the middle is a ball?

I didn't see the one with Posey, but I did see the one on Hill that was clearly a strike. Sure is frustrating.

The one to Posey was even better. This guy doesn't belong in the position that he's in.

The one to Posey was even better. This guy doesn't belong in the position that he's in.

I saw it on pitch fx and just assumed it bounced up there or something.

I've often found the whining about strike calls in these threads annoying but this season it is well deserved. I've seen the most consistently bad umping of my life this season.

Maybe some day they'll have the technology to come up with a better way to do it than letting egotistical old men with bad vision make arbitrary determinations on balls and strikes.

Maybe some day they'll have the technology to come up with a better way to do it than letting egotistical old men with bad vision make arbitrary determinations on balls and strikes.

I'll complain about instant replay as much as anyone, but automated balls and strikes just seems so logical. Takes a split second to determine and make the call, and gets it right without slowing the game down one bit. And can still have an ump back there calling out balls and strikes to preserve the tradition, he has to be there anyway for all the other calls at the plate

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived