Brewer Fanatic

Shaw placed on Paternity List, Brett Phillips called up to make MLB debut

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope everything's okay with the Shaw's baby. I know it's a super small sample but Phillips was overmatched. He was striking out in almost every at-bat. I hope we see him back up sooner rather than later but he definitely needs some work

It was predictable that Phillips would look overmatched though to be fair the sample size was extremely small. Strikeout rates in the minors matter and as good as his year in AAA has been, he still strikes out too much and does not possess the kind of plus power that it can be dismissed. That's why for an OF bench option, Kyle Wren is a better option despite his minimal power. On the other hand, Brinson's K rate in the minors has improved every year. That's very encouraging looking forward.

Todd Rosiak's Twitter in the last few minutes states that Travis' daughter Ryann was born with HLHS, a heart defect, and needed open heart surgery on Friday. She is doing well.

The Shaws were aware of the defect in January, so at least maybe they knew it was a possibility (which to me seems slightly preferable to being completely blindsided, but I can't speak for anyone else). Continued best wishes to Ryann and her parents.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Todd Rosiak's Twitter in the last few minutes states that Travis' daughter Ryann was born with HLHS, a heart defect, and needed open heart surgery on Friday. She is doing well.

The Shaws were aware of the defect in January, so at least maybe they knew it was a possibility (which to me seems slightly preferable to being completely blindsided, but I can't speak for anyone else). Continued best wishes to Ryann and her parents.

Got a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read that first sentence. So glad to hear she's doing well.

Great to hear everything is fine. That was scary.

The lineup certainly missed him. Did we make another roster move? I didn't see it...unfortunately it wasn't Franklin, I see he is in the lineup today.

Verified Member

That is a very scary diagnosis. I'm glad she had the surgery and is doing well. I knew it was serious when Travis left for home after the birth.

Glad that Travis is back with the team in St. Louis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sadly, HLHS - Hypoplastic left heart syndrome - is a complex and long lasting condition that may ultimately require a heart transplant. Let us hope for the best for Travis and his family. They have a difficult road ahead of them - let's pray it is a smooth as possible.

Here is Todd Rosiak's JS writeup on the situation with young Ryann Shaw:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2017/06/13/travis-shaw-returns-brewers-after-daughters-open-heart-surgery/391441001/

Imagine the good fortune of having your job moved to a community with a leading children's hospital just before you're in need of such care.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Verified Member
Travis being traded to the Brewers has been a win-win situation all around. He is doing very well as a Brewer, his daughter is in the best possible hands, and John Farrell, manager of the Red Sox is still making excuses for Sandoval's poor performance both in the field and at bat. Thornburgh has had set-back after set-back and hasn't pitched at all this season.

Travis being traded to the Brewers has been a win-win situation all around. He is doing very well as a Brewer, his daughter is in the best possible hands, and John Farrell, manager of the Red Sox is still making excuses for Sandoval's poor performance both in the field and at bat. Thornburgh has had set-back after set-back and hasn't pitched at all this season.

I don't see how the results of the trade are all that important when we're talking about this little girl's life. SMH.

But since you brought it up, why would you cheer for the Red Sox to get a raw deal on this trade? All it does is make them less likely to deal with the Brewers again. The BoSox front office probably doesn't blame the Brewers for this situation, but they will want to avoid the PR side of this with their fanbase if they end up on the wrong end of really unbalanced trade scenario.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Verified Member

You're right. The trade means nothing compared to the health of Travis' daughter. But I saw an interview with Travis when he said "they didn't want me anymore." I brought up the fact that the third baseman the Red Sox chose over Travis still isn't producing and Travis is having a very good year for the Crew. Uecker said on a broadcast that he talked to a couple of Red Sox broadcasters and they said they wished Travis was still there along with many fans.

Travis has found a home in Milwaukee. Both as a ballplayer and as a father of a little girl who is getting the best care possible in the country.

When my daughter was born she had a minor scary problem, nothing compared to this, but it's enough to put my heart in my mouth when I hear about new parents' dealing with a scary medical situation. I dearly hope that everything works out for the three of them, and

It's great that being in Milwaukee puts them in a good place to get the care of their daughter needs.

My son will celebrate the 10th anniversary of his heart transplant on Sunday. Modern medicine is pretty amazing. Travis and his daughter have a long road ahead of them, I hope it's a smooth one! The first HLHS burgers is always a risky one.

My son will celebrate the 10th anniversary of his heart transplant on Sunday. Modern medicine is pretty amazing. Travis and his daughter have a long road ahead of them, I hope it's a smooth one! The first HLHS burgers is always a risky one.

I'm happy for you. Count your blessings. 60 years ago my brother-in-law was born with a hole in his heart. Back then they didn't do heart surgery on infants. He had to wait until he was older. Unfortunately for him he never found a transplant match before he died a couple of years ago. I wonder, had he been born today he might have surgery as an infant and perhaps his heart wouldn't have been giving him problems the last dozen years of his life

• 4 weeks later...

Phillips is back up. Which should mean that either Braun is not fit, or that it's Rivera going back down, and Perez will act as the primary IF backup instead of OF. I would imagine they'll make the corresponding move as late as possible, to see what condition Braun is in?

Phillips is back up. Which should mean that either Braun is not fit, or that it's Rivera going back down, and Perez will act as the primary IF backup instead of OF. I would imagine they'll make the corresponding move as late as possible, to see what condition Braun is in?

Could also be to give Phillips some starts in CF vs tough righthanders that Broxton likely would struggle with, along with a buffer for Braun's shaky health.

Could also be to give Phillips some starts in CF vs tough righthanders that Broxton likely would struggle with, along with a buffer for Braun's shaky health.

Guerra was put on the DL and no corresponding move was made for his spot until this one. They still have 8 arms in the pen. So Rivera likely sticks until Sogard returns. Phillips gives them an extra bench player for a few days and a LH bat that they are short with Sogard out. When Guerra is activated, or another arm is, he'll go back down.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jim Goulart on his twitter says that Travis' daughter will be going home tomorrow (Thurs.) 4 months after her birth.

Very happy for Travis and his wife.

Thank you for a piece of good news on this dreary day after the Evil Empire took out my Tribe last night...

Jim Goulart on his twitter says that Travis' daughter will be going home tomorrow (Thurs.) 4 months after her birth.

...you do realize that @Mass_Haas is himself a long-time poster and moderator on these boards, right? (Our Minor League Minutia Master, as it were. I'm just not used to the real name formality.)

...you do realize that @Mass_Haas is himself a long-time poster and moderator on these boards, right? (Our Minor League Minutia Master, as it were. I'm just not used to the real name formality.)

No, I didn't realize. I found it mentioned by Tom Haudricourt on his twitter feed.

Archived