Brewer Fanatic

Shaw placed on Paternity List, Brett Phillips called up to make MLB debut

JDBrewCrew
Good for Phillips. After seeing the way he interacted with the crowd during a game I watched in Biloxi, he instantly became my favorite prospect. Hopefully he tears it up while he's here.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excited to see Phillips on the field. His off field personality makes it easy to root for him. Hope he becomes the regular LF in Braun's absence.

I hope he becomes a regular just in general. Not sold on Broxton so I'd love if Phillips just swiped that job away even when Braun returns.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wish he wouldn't be batting in front of the pitcher, but oh well. Hopefully we get this game instead of Cards/Reds in the Chicago area tonight on MLBN!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Broxton should be worried. His strikeouts are excessive and he's hurting the team.

My biggest concern about Phillips are his high strikeout totals too. Broxton has a good enough glove and does just enough offensively to hold his job for now. When Brinson arrives that might be another matter.

oh come on, we don't live in the middle ages anymore, let the man take a couple of days off to be with his family.

Why stop at a couple days? Why not a month? The 1980's were the middle ages? Oh yeah the feminization of America is a 21st century thing.

How dare there be change! Change is bad!!!

Phillips starting in RF tonight and batting 8th.

Glad to see they're going to use him at least. I'll save the rest of my rant on the lineup for the IGT.

domingo santana is in right tonight. phillips is starting in center.

Community Moderator
Broxton should be worried. His strikeouts are excessive and he's hurting the team.

Broxton struck out 28.6% of the time at AAA in 2015 & 30.2% of the time at AAA in 2016.

Maverick has struck out in 30.3% of his AAA plate appearances this year so far after posting a 29.8% K rate in AA last year.

Not sure Phillips will be the solution to any excessive strikeout issue which may exist.

My only thought on this is how FS Wisconsin is going to beat to death his stupid laugh.

I'm curious to see how many times Auggie calls him "Burt Phillips."

I honestly don't expect he'll be here for long. When Shaw comes back, that means Perez has no home. He could take over at 2nd I suppose, now Sogard is out. Then you have Aguilar frozen out, since Thames wouldn't be playing any LF. And that's all before Braun even comes back.

So I really only see him up for a few days unless he does take Broxton's spot, and I don't think that's going to happen. Broxton has done enough to keep a spot. He strikes out a lot, but so does Phillips.

Phillips starting in RF tonight and batting 8th.

Glad to see they're going to use him at least. I'll save the rest of my rant on the lineup for the IGT.

domingo santana is in right tonight. phillips is starting in center.

Yup, my bad. I changed my initial post.

My only thought on this is how FS Wisconsin is going to beat to death his stupid laugh.

I honestly don't expect he'll be here for long. When Shaw comes back, that means Perez has no home. He could take over at 2nd I suppose, now Sogard is out. Then you have Aguilar frozen out, since Thames wouldn't be playing any LF. And that's all before Braun even comes back.

So I really only see him up for a few days unless he does take Broxton's spot, and I don't think that's going to happen. Broxton has done enough to keep a spot. He strikes out a lot, but so does Phillips.

He could take Franklin's spot potentially...doesn't solve the problem when Braun returns though.

He could take Franklin's spot potentially...doesn't solve the problem when Braun returns though.

If Phillips hits the cover off the ball and the Brewers want to see more of him, they could have the equipment guy point an ordinary box fan at Braun's locker and when his forearm or calf would be struck by the ensuing gale-force winds he would almost assuredly need another two weeks on the disabled list.

According to Brewers.com, seems #35 is best bet for the future if Suter is willing to trade. It holds a lot of special meaning to Maverick. Congrats on first MLB hit kid!

Franklin's job has to be in trouble. He has not been good at plate and seems to be the weakest part of our bench. DFA him and keep Phillips until Braun returns. With Sogard and Perez, is there much need for Franklin right now?

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

According to Brewers.com, seems #35 is best bet for the future if Suter is willing to trade. It holds a lot of special meaning to Maverick. Congrats on first MLB hit kid!

Franklin's job has to be in trouble. He has not been good at plate and seems to be the weakest part of our bench. DFA him and keep Phillips until Braun returns. With Sogard and Perez, is there much need for Franklin right now?

He is a switch hitter, but no.

He could, yes, but look at how little playing time Franklin is getting. You don't want to keep Phillips up if he's going to be used as the last man on the bench. If he does get regular starts, that means far less playing time for Perez and Aguilar. Maybe we're ok with that, but something would have to give.

As you said, when Braun returns, then it's really difficult to find regular playing time for Mav. Replacing Broxton would be the only way, and I'm guessing they will (should) give him more time to work things out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maverick platooned with Broxton, I don't think that would be the worst thing for either of them. He could spot start in LF/RF also to give Braun and Santana a break. Plus pinch hitting.

If they think he can't learn anything more at the AAA level, everything above is pretty much how to move forward.

Maverick platooned with Broxton, I don't think that would be the worst thing for either of them. He could spot start in LF/RF also to give Braun and Santana a break. Plus pinch hitting.

If they think he can't learn anything more at the AAA level, everything above is pretty much how to move forward.

I'd be fine if they bring back Braun and keep Phillips and DFA both Franklin and Villar. I'm not on board with Phillips around taking AB's from Perez though. Assuming Braun ever gets 100% healthy, finding playing time for one their more productive hitters in Perez is going to be hard enough.

There are two weak spots in the Brewers' lineup:

Arcia: .246/.289/.361/.650

Villar: .207/.281/.315/.595

If they wanted to keep Phillips up when Shaw returns, they could send Arcia down, or they could dump Franklin and give Villar more time on the bench.

They could rotate guys around, but any way you slice it if they keep Phillips up and if they want him to get significant playing time, it will cut into some time currently occupied by other guys who are performing well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hernan has a .770 OPS and a career OBP of .284 (.304 OBP this year). It is really easy to overrate him because he flashes excellence at times. The offensive numbers he puts up are nothing special in the corners. His value is as a super utility player. Phillips looks like a defensive upgrade vs any of our MLB OF's and hopefully he can hit well enough to be a starting OF in MLB at some point soon. Looks like there is some swing & miss in his approach for sure
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

There are two weak spots in the Brewers' lineup:

Arcia: .246/.289/.361/.650

Villar: .207/.281/.315/.595

Arcia's numbers you can put up with because he gives you plus plus defense

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived