Brewer Fanatic

Shaw placed on Paternity List, Brett Phillips called up to make MLB debut

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully Phillips rakes and pushes Broxton a bit.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Happy for Phillips, this is a long time coming for him, even if it's most likely going to just be a cup of coffee. Well ok not a real long time coming, just feels like it after last year.

With a righty on the mound tonight, and Shaw on paternity, no reason not to have Perez at 3rd and Phillips starting in left, wouldn't you think ?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

With a righty on the mound tonight, and Shaw on paternity, no reason not to have Perez at 3rd and Phillips starting in left, wouldn't you think ?

I would guess Perez man's 3B most of the time, thus leaving LF for Maverick. Does Sogard have the arm for 3B? We need to keep Villar away from 3B if possible.

Maybe sit Maverick for a tough lefty, but otherwise play him!

Paternity leave is what...3 days? There would be almost no point in bringing him up for a few days only to ride the bench. Right??

I would hope so. But perhaps I'm guilty of reading too much into the the fact that the Brewers had choice of Brinson, Cordell, or Phillips in terms of AAA outfielders on the 40-man roster, and they went with the left-handed hitting option.

I can finally get my jersey stitched! I happened to be at the game the night the trade went down. I also happened to have about 8 beers before the game. So I got a Phillips jersey with no number. Now I can put a number on it 2 years later.

Also, I'm something of an idiot.

I can finally get my jersey stitched! I happened to be at the game the night the trade went down. I also happened to have about 8 beers before the game. So I got a Phillips jersey with no number. Now I can put a number on it 2 years later.

Also, I'm something of an idiot.

His current number may be far different than the one he gets once he is a permanent member of the team... Just sayin'

It might be a good idea to hold off until he is a regular...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd guess he would stay up until Braun comes back and someone else goes when Shaw returns. However having him here 3 days just to send him down is hardly a big deal to be honest. Wouldn't surprise me either. That only bothers me when said player mostly plays the bench and is here for an extended period of time.

No way, I say get the #33! If nothing else it'll bring you instant street cred!

I'm really, really tempted to make the hour drive north tonight to see him.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

No way, I say get the #33! If nothing else it'll bring you instant street cred!

I'm really, really tempted to make the hour drive north tonight to see him.

Yeap. I also have a Sean Taylor 36 jersey (I'm a Redskins fan) which he only wore for a year so I'm into that kind of thing.

I've decided to go tonight and get the 33 put on.

oh come on, we don't live in the middle ages anymore, let the man take a couple of days off to be with his family.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

In all the excitement let's not forget not having Shaw in the lineup for any amount of time is a significant loss. Call me old school if you want but these guys get paid very well to show up 162 days.

:rolleyes :( :embarrassed

Also, they should not get bereavement if a family member dies. Suck it up and play.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

oh come on, we don't live in the middle ages anymore, let the man take a couple of days off to be with his family.

Why stop at a couple days? Why not a month? The 1980's were the middle ages? Oh yeah the feminization of America is a 21st century thing.

In all the excitement let's not forget not having Shaw in the lineup for any amount of time is a significant loss. Call me old school if you want but these guys get paid very well to show up 162 days.

Guy's wife is having a kid and you're grousing about him missing a few days of work.....

Is this real life?

Why stop at a couple days? Why not a month? The 1980's were the middle ages? Oh yeah the feminization of America is a 21st century thing.

Please stop right there. This is the not the time or forum for this kind of discussion.

And please, everyone else just refrain from responding to this kind of thing. This is not what this forum is for.

Community Moderator

Losing anyone, no matter how valuable on the field, for a few games is not a significant loss. Even as one of the best run producers on the team, not having Shaw available will only negatively impact the Brewers win probabilities in those missed games by a couple two tree percentage points, if that. Even is he were to be lost for the entire remainder of the season it would probably only cost the Brewers about two projected wins and that's assuming his production thus far this season is sustainable & that he would be replaced by a replacement level player. With Perez & Sogard on the team currently as more than capable replacements the projected loss would likely be less still.

Congratulations to Travis, his wife & Brett Phillips on a day (or maybe even a few days) that none of them will likely forget anytime soon.

Archived