Brewer Fanatic

Marlins listening to offers. I would go get this guy using our prospects, Hes under control thru 2021 with an option for 2022 at VERY reasonable money. A very nice piece to help our return to prominence.

Yelich is in year three of a seven-year, $49.57 million contract that also includes a $15 million club option for 2022.

For starters .298 BA .376 OBP last year

We are loaded on OFers. If he was a middle infielder maybe I could understand, but I think we are set in the OF. I am guessing it would take way too much to acquire him. Brinson plus a few of our other highly regarded prospects. I would just promote Brinson/Phillips and hope one can be a similar player to Yelich.

I really just don't see selling the farm for a controllable player like that. At least not at this venture in the rebuild where we want to see what those prospects can do for us. Selling the farm for Yelich is a luxury when we have a young controllable team that doesn't need extreme depth in the minors.

I really like Christian Yelich, But he's not going to make the brewers any better than they are right now. In fact, Domingo Santana--- the hitter looks like a better player than Yelich does right now ---never mind defense.

If there were a way to send Braun in the deal I'd be for it. But the reason they are putting Yelich for trade is to shave money and find new faces to the Franchise for the sale they are working on. Yelich is special bat I would expect 3 top 100s plus a lottery asking price. It'd be like Brinson, Woodruff, and Diaz with say Gilbert Lara to get him. He's only an uptick of HR power away from elite top 10 bat in baseball.

Without sending Braun theres going to be mass confusion on acquiring Yelich.

The Cardinals have a huge need for a bat like his. Delvin Perez would make an interesting piece to put in trade to Miami. Jose Reyes combo.

Verified Member
As others have said, any position but OF and I'd take a look. Hopefully more teams throw guys of his caliber/contract status on the trading block-- just at a different position.

I'd take Barraclough or AJ Ramos if they want to sell. Yelich could be elite but unless we'd want to move laterally with outfielders like Santana or Brinson I just don't see how he'd fit in. Santana may be the real deal himself, just with lesser defense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yelich would cost a fair amount of money (not a big deal) probably quite a bit in terms of prospects, (which is a big deal) and as others have said, probably just doesn't make them much more, if any better than they already are. I can't see, from the Brewers standpoint, giving up prospects of value to add a guy to a position we're already LOADED at. No, every prospect we have isn't going to pan out, but we need to see who out of Phillips, Brinson, etc, etc, etc can play before we start giving up valuable pieces for a guy like Yelich.

If we could get a .775 OPS guy who's good for 3-4 WAR as a middle infielder? That would be a completely different story.

I'd take Barraclough or AJ Ramos if they want to sell. Yelich could be elite but unless we'd want to move laterally with outfielders like Santana or Brinson I just don't see how he'd fit in. Santana may be the real deal himself, just with lesser defense.

Yes, this, or Braxton Garrett, just don't think Miami is a good match for us. They have a good OF and we have OF depth to deal.

I doubt this would ever happen but isn't that potentially why a deal could happen. The Brewers get a proven controllable player for a five more years and the Marlins get an outfield prospect or two. They might even take Broxton in return since he is a cheap CF but doesn't have the track record of Yelich.

I would love to see Yelich in Milwaukee. I wouldn't deal Hader or Woodruff but would deal any of the OF prospects not named Brinson as the headliner of the package.

Thinking outside the box, I would happily deal Arcia and Brett Phillips/Corey Ray/Trent Clark for Yelich. Move Villar back to SS, start Sogard at 2B and worry about filling 2B in the upcoming FA class or via some other method.

I would love to see Yelich in Milwaukee. I wouldn't deal Hader or Woodruff but would deal any of the OF prospects not named Brinson as the headliner of the package.

Thinking outside the box, I would happily deal Arcia and Brett Phillips/Corey Ray/Trent Clark for Yelich. Move Villar back to SS, start Sogard at 2B and worry about filling 2B in the upcoming FA class or via some other method.

You had me until the suggestion of moving Villar back to short. Please no. Perez would be the logical stopgap there as he would not be needed in that outfield.

Yelich's production so far this year has been only OK. Kind of a roll of the dice as to just how good he is. On paper I like him better than any of our OF's including Braun (mostly due to Braun's durability issues)
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The biggest thing with Yelich IMHO is his contract, control for 4-5 years at under $10 million per is HUGE!!

However, incredibly expensive to acquire. I don't really want to package Brinson/Woodruff/Clark or whatever to acquire an OFer who maybe is worth 1-2 WAR(maybe nothing more) more than one of our 500k options.

Oh I get what you mean. 1-2 more than our 550k option

The thing is Yelich in Milwaukee and the Central division may be 3-4War more than our prospect. The NL east and especially the Marlins ballpark detracts from HRs, something that has always been believed he'd grow in to. Just not easy to do in that stadium. Thinking for a minute Yelich would only be 1War better than our prospect is really over reaching expectations on any of the Brewer OF prospect. Yelich is so far ahead in K rate and BB pct guys like Brinson or Phillips arent remotely close. Yelich a 4-5War average season is probably a 5-6 war here avg with 7-9 potential. Hed move immediately long term to #3 spot in lineup.

At some poi t Yelich will win a batting title, that year hes going to be around 8War doing so.

Just once again, Braun, Broxton, Santana plus Brinson, Phillips, Cordell reside within the Brewers OF options, adding Thames or Perez to that mix. Yelich wouldnt fit in the teams plans without removing 3 of these guys.

It is certainly an interesting idea. I think, considering the OF talent in the system, the Brewers are more likely if they do have to trade prospects for an upgrade it'd be for a pitchers with years of control
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Broxton & Villar for Yelich.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived